• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2021

liuzhou

47 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

One of Jessica’s friends tested out some chocolate/chocolate chip/dried cherry bread on us:

You took me back here to Nancy Silverton's . It is on that long list to be tried  https://forums.egullet.org/topic/130963-chocolate-sour-cherry-bread-ala-labrea/

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

I saw @Kim Shook's breakfast above and decided on something similar:

IMG_3504.thumb.jpeg.7e478d0daf3cbcb6a07081eaa0c0ba13.jpeg

Scrambled eggs, toasted whole grain baguette, broiled tomatoes, and Vivian Howard's baked beans from This Will Make It Taste Good

Yesterday, I picked up a mushroom hand pie from Roan Mills for my breakfast.  Nicely re-heated in the CSO.

IMG_3498.thumb.jpeg.a9c741a45f3a4f30f51ffd7911fdda92.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Thank you@blue_dolphin.  A keeper.

I made your scones today. Made them the same way minus the bacon.

1610027540_NigelSlatersParsley-ParmesandropsconesJanuary26th2021.thumb.jpg.9dc1814aac6995dd4e17031ace176e0f.jpg

I was going to make Moe a back bacon and egg sandwich but he decided he just wanted the bacon.

I made seven and we both ate one with just butter while the other batch was cooking.  

Forgot to get a pic of his sandwich.  There are just three left. 

Will definitely make again.  

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

@blue_dolphin – I printed off the scone recipes and will be trying them!  Also, those are some beautiful and upscale beans on toast!  Delicious looking. 

Sunday:

IMG_4864.jpg.9ca642ffc2bfbc0b3c3da99d4d3bb976.jpg

Assorted pork products – we had a chunk of Edwards’ country ham, a slice of prosciutto, and 2 sausage patties to use up – scrambled eggs, whomp cinnamon rolls, and some tangelos that a friend dropped off.  Her sister had sent one of those huge bags of Florida citrus and she kindly shared with us. 

Today:

IMG_4888.thumb.jpg.650def586458e858545b859e33635570.jpg

We bought another loaf of Jessica’s friend’s rye bread.  It was toasted for breakfast and served with two eggs cooked in the same pan, at the same time: one was perfect the other was snotty. 😠

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

@Kim Shook 

you are just killing me here.

I was going to do a Blitz to either RB's or TJ's

for 3 doz eggs and three packs of EM's/

one EM // two scrambled eggs  etc

I keep all , including the EM's in the coldest part 

of the refrig.  works out fine 

then , it snowed.

that's my excuse , and Ill stick to it 

until Spring.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

We bought another loaf of Jessica’s friend’s rye bread.  It was toasted for breakfast and served with two eggs cooked in the same pan, at the same time: one was perfect the other was snotty. 

😠

I fried two eggs in the same pan, at the same time yesterday, too.  With the same result. I guess two eggs from the same batch ain't necessarily the same.

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I fried two eggs in the same pan, at the same time yesterday, too.  With the same result. I guess two eggs from the same batch ain't necessarily the same.

This unreliability of eggs is enough to drive one to drink (Advocaat)? I can pass on a never-fail recipe to someone and guarantee that it will fail.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Fried egg, onion & ham on toast

IMG_3512.thumb.jpeg.954278740abd1249e153b389dc2a8b03.jpeg

You may have seen that Food52 recently shared a recipe for something called Fried Egg Salad in which onion and bacon are fried in butter, eggs are added to the pan, cooked to taste, dumped in a bowl and mixed up with mayo and other egg salad ingredients and served warm, on toast.  This is credited to the same shared earlier over at Ideas In Food

The idea of frying eggs with onions and ham, mashing it together and serving it warm on toast sounded excellent.  Warm mayo gave me pause.  While there is clearly a longstanding warm egg salad fan club here on eG, I wasn't sold.

The photo in the Ideas in Food piece looks to have a lot of mayo, like something you'd eat with a knife and fork. 

The one on Food52 has a bunch of crunchy, salad-y things like celery, raw minced onion that didn't appeal.

I went with the basics.  Thinly sliced onion and country ham cooked slowly in butter - I channeled Vivian Howard - you're not trying to crisp the ham, you're flavoring the oil...or in this case, butter. 

Here's are my cooked eggs.  Firm, but tender whites, jammy yolks.  I didn't want yolks so runny they'd completely merge with the mayo.

IMG_3510.thumb.jpeg.b33086a18667b4d6ddcbd8eadf5738c9.jpeg

Once cooked, they were broken up in a bowl with a small squirt of mustard and just enough mayo to hold things together.  I sprinkled the scallions on top so I could pick them off but they were good. 

Not entirely ready to join the warm mayo club but this was very good. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

@Anna N – my mother used to say that chickens had a mind of their own and that went for their offspring, too😉.  Mr. Kim (who like things to be done exactly when the recipe says they will) is utter mystified that you can have seemingly identical chickens and they will be at wild different stages of doneness when removed from the oven.  I really think it wasn’t until he started smoking that he paid more attention to temperature than time.

@blue_dolphin – I do like the look of your egg “salad” dish.  I am normally not a fan of onions with eggs (I always leave them out of any quiche or breakfast casserole), but I think I’d try that.  I especially like those jammy yolks.

IMG_4913.jpg.cecf825fcdc9f5755eff8e317af4b48e.jpg

More of that good rye bread, Havarti, and a mandarin orange.

• Like 10

We are not really into breakfast, other than on some rare weekends. I usually like having my coffee along with or followed by something light and sweet, often just some fruit, a slice of bread with cheese and preserves/honey, or cake/pastry if we happen to have some. But when I feel like having more of a snack, this is one of my favorites. Milk with partially mashed banana, peanut butter and corn flakes. The latter scattered on the milk right before being eaten so that they stay crisp.

PXL_20201231_101309366.jpg

• Like 4

~ Shai N.

At 5:00 AM this morning, I decided to make Apple Turnovers. Moe wanted something sweet.
Made a "quick" version of puff pastry and got into the fridge. Then started on the apples, cut up and simmered in butter, sugar (white and brown), a little fresh squeezed lemon juice, pinch of salt, and cinnamon. Cooked until caramelized and then into the freezer for a quick cool.
Rolled out half of the puff pastry, cut into four 6" squares, filled with an 1/8th of the apples. brushed turnovers with milk and sprinkled with a little sugar and baked.
Drizzled with a brown butter glaze.

955076909_AppleTurnoversJanuary31st2021.thumb.jpg.18a52500407ce6b3442e0d514d7ca780.jpg

By 7:30 Moe was enjoying with a second cappuccino.

Made four more with the other half of dough and froze them for another day.
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 4

12 minutes ago, Ann_T said:
At 5:00 AM this morning, I decided to make Apple Turnovers. Moe wanted something sweet.
Made a "quick" version of puff pastry and got into the fridge. Then started on the apples, cut up and simmered in butter, sugar (white and brown), a little fresh squeezed lemon juice, pinch of salt, and cinnamon. Cooked until caramelized and then into the freezer for a quick cool.
Rolled out half of the puff pastry, cut into four 6" squares, filled with an 1/8th of the apples. brushed turnovers with milk and sprinkled with a little sugar and baked.
Drizzled with a brown butter glaze.

955076909_AppleTurnoversJanuary31st2021.thumb.jpg.18a52500407ce6b3442e0d514d7ca780.jpg

By 7:30 Moe was enjoying with a second cappuccino.

Made four more with the other half of dough and froze them for another day.

Did you freeze them unbaked or baked?   I love these.

Edited by lemniscate (log)

@Ann_T Oh my! Your icing squiggle is exactly what us kids aimed for when we baked the Pepperidge Farm frozen ones. Their icing packet was not as generous as your lovely browned butter version.

• Like 2