• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2021

On 4/30/2021 at 2:43 PM, Jonas said:

That's wonderful too see all what you have for breakfast ^^ As a French it's more sugar things... Like baguette of bread with jam or chocolate spread. With a greeeat bean-to-cup coffee 😃

But my personal breakfast is :

Oatmeal, chia seeds, almonds, dark chocolate, goji berries with almond milk, and on top bananas, strawberries and peanut butter. 

Will update my post with a photo during the weekend 😀

I couldn't edit my post; so here is the picture of my Sunday morning breakfast.
@CantCookStillTry your breakfast seems to me just impossible to eat the morning 😂 do you eat it with a coffee ? 😂

20210502_085926.jpg

• Like 6

More inspiration from Max's Sandwich Book with a riff on A Jam Sandwich in the breakfast section which he makes on white bread with mascarpone, jam and crushed up Ginger Nut biscuits. 

I put mine on a waffle with mascarpone, raspberry jam and crumbled sweet/spicy walnuts (V's Nuts from This Will Make It Taste Good)

IMG_3839.thumb.jpeg.94f6b5a0a78e9a41bf5da6e50f195bea.jpeg

Fresh fruit on the side. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1
19 hours ago, Jonas said:

@CantCookStillTry your breakfast seems to me just impossible to eat the morning 😂 do you eat it with a coffee ?

I live in the middle of nowhere, German sausages are one of my favourite things, if I go somewhere and I find one, Imma get one. Dawn, Dusk or Midnight 😂. If I eat all of it is neither here nor there. I just happened to find this one at 8am. No I could not eat one everyday for breakfast. But sausage and bread is not an unusual breakfast in rural Australia, you've already been up and doing things for 4 hours previously 🤷‍♀️

• Like 4
2 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

I live in the middle of nowhere, German sausages are one of my favourite things, if I go somewhere and I find one, Imma get one. Dawn, Dusk or Midnight 😂. If I eat all of it is neither here nor there. I just happened to find this one at 8am. No I could not eat one everyday for breakfast. But sausage and bread is not an unusual breakfast in rural Australia, you've already been up and doing things for 4 hours previously 🤷‍♀️

I'd be very happy to eat a sausage with onions, peppers and mustard for breakfast.  The only problem is that I'd want to wash it down with a beer and that's something I could should not have everyday for breakfast 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
30 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I'd be very happy to eat a sausage with onions, peppers and mustard for breakfast.  The only problem is that I'd want to wash it down with a beer and that's something I could should not have everyday for breakfast 🙃

Beer---made from wheat--wheat toast--brings me back to beer.  It's the same as toast. 😇

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

people also drank beer rather water 

for quite some time

as it was safer than the local water

if they could afford it

• Like 4

Almost the last of the pretty eggs from my SIL’s chicken’s eggs. Mr. Kim’s dad and stepmom have moved into a memory care unit so he won’t be going out to the country every week anymore.

IMG_5757.jpg.9a43b4687a24c6c93129b3cf6681e2c6.jpg

IMG_5759.jpg.2bd65610cca26c7a2769827b9e6ced6d.jpg

Corncakes, potatoes w/ onions (made from the leftover potato wedges from the other night), bacon, and eggs.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

@Ann_T – that open faced sandwich is just gorgeous!  Three of my favorite things in the entire world: bread, beef, and gravy!  It just looks so tender and delicious. 

Tomatoes and a ham and egg on sourdough, grilled:

bfast2.jpg.bb9339ee6366443a406f6ca9b0f07034.jpg

bfast1.jpg.7005f12a93d92472606e1574476e9a05.jpg

Whenever I go to the extra effort to grill a sandwich rather than just put it on toast, I realize how much better a grilled sandwich is.  The bread next to the fillings is warm and soft and the outside of the sandwich is crisp and buttery and warm!

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

I make Bread Puddings in a bread tin, then slice it and fry it in clarified butter for a rich version of French Toast. The pics are two different days. In the second, the bread pudding is on the right, the French Toast is on the right -- so crispy on the outside, so moist and sweet within. 2018783879_breadpudding2.thumb.png.2754d10f61ac19f1e93a3ebf96e7cac4.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 16.36.35.png

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

This morning, I made the Everything Bagel Hand Pies from Julia Turshen's book, Simply Julia. 

IMG_3859.thumb.jpeg.f5fa03053e4a2e9fc0a99611d7b4b266.jpeg

From reading the recipe, I was expecting an easy-peasy dough but it was kind of annoying. I had to add a LOT of extra flour to get something I could knead. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup(63g) of all purpose and 70g whole wheat. I ended up adding another 60g of all purpose and still needed lots of sprinkles while rolling them out.
Julia says to feel free and mix up the filling and I had a sautéed mushroom, onion and spinach mix in the fridge so I reduced the # of eggs and added some of that along with a sprinkle of grated Parmesean.  I do think plain scrambled eggs, as in the recipe  might be a bit bland.
The end result was indeed rather like a stuffed bagel. I'll be curious to see how they reheat.

IMG_3864.thumb.jpeg.2d0c869fa069747135c41f5f2d7ee3ff.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 3

Made Morel Mushroom this weekend,  I first coat them in an egg wash!!

There is a far share of particulate comes off.

Made a type of Morel egg soufflé w/ Rocket  I know looks like bread but its not!!

51168477985_b7ed8a54e0_z.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Its good to have Morels