• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2021

liuzhou

Truly lovely meals, y’all!  I have to single out @Ann_T, since she made my very favorite breakfast in the world.  Eggs Benedict was my mother’s favorite, too, and I was raised on a bastardized version – English muffins, ham slice, OM eggs (I don’t know that Momma ever poached an egg in her life) and packaged hollandaise.  It was also our restaurant breakfast of choice when available. 

I had my second vaxx shot on the 7th and really haven’t cooked much since.  I’m ok, just incredibly fatigued.  Sunday:

IMG_5568.jpg.17133336cafb6fddbe53e0ec71b736df.jpg

Easter ham, TJ’s cheese spiral, and my SIL’s chicken’s eggs (broke one yolk). 

Today:

IMG_5595.jpg.0ff6dee5ce9e771a6a35e849187ac182.jpg

Purchased waffle, Benton’s bacon, sage sausage, and more SIL’s chicken’s eggs.  This last batch of eggs are breaking their yolks on me.  It is happening when I crack the eggs.  It is as if the yolk is actually sticking to the inside of the shell on some of the eggs.  Tastes fine but interferes with the gooey consistency I like. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

I’m not sure if I want to be you or Moe

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

@Kim Shook, glad you are feeling better.  Was fatigue the only side effect from second shot?

1868166671_ButtermilkBiscuitsApril14th2021.thumb.jpg.e9be934ef8003c237cc7f5c126984d39.jpg

Baked buttermilk biscuits this morning.

Im not sure if I want to be you or Moe when I grow up. Well, considering my age, maybe I should say “in my next life,” instead. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

21 hours ago, patti said:

I’m not sure if I want to be you or Moe

Im not sure if I want to be you or Moe when I grow up. Well, considering my age, maybe I should say “in my next life,” instead. 

You be Ann, I'll be Moe.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

You be Ann, I'll be Moe.

I'd be her son, but he's a vegetarian and I can't imagine eating Ann's cooking and NOT having her meat dishes! 😁

Yesterday:

IMG_5608.jpg.8892ee1bee83f7b68665e9a925607694.jpg

Sage sausage and scrambled egg on toast.

Today:

IMG_5612.jpg.7dee0fe6cafedc380e1e00fd9eec375d.jpg

Grapes, ham, and purchased waffle. 

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Brunch. Sort of a Stracciatella with pasta, but a bit porridgy (less water, and thickened from the pasta and eggs).

Quick vegetable stock, carrots, wilted spinach, egg drop, capellini, lemon, parsley, parmesan, pepper.

PXL_20210208_194856441.jpg

• Like 10

~ Shai N.

Family breakfast ...

949E9A9D-0A47-4494-AEC6-7295DA081BF7.thumb.jpeg.27dbe61c01825206283a29ff2805c808.jpeg

Recently, we discussed the usage of a different egg preparation for the Eggs Benedict. My wife doesn’t care much for poached eggs, so today I used 6.5 min eggs. She and the little one preferred it over the traditional prep (probably a textural thing), I am not sure ...

6E20712E-5703-498D-BEED-000B7F5B4258.thumb.jpeg.07915c429a10ceea30a34b359786aaa4.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

The other day, I made an "inspired by" version of Max Halley's Ham, Egg & Chips Sandwich.   

Here, I went for the full monty and made the homemade piccalilli, bought malt vinegar to mix with the mayo and fried up some shoestring potatoes.   

IMG_3768.thumb.jpeg.cc762863ec3b1ac96711f797eaef089d.jpeg

IMG_3770.thumb.jpeg.8d65f7ba97e3f4b9e9986ea1753b108a.jpeg

He's got some good sandwich tricks here.  Focaccia is indeed good for sandwiches.  I don't have his recipe so I used Ottolenghi's.  The ham is meat shredded from slow-braised hocks that gets warmed up in some of the braising broth.  The piccalilli is something I don't think I've ever tried before and certainly haven't made but an excellent addition.  

In my previous sandwich, I subbed French fried onion pieces for the shoestring potato fries.  The crispy crunch is nice either way. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

@blue_dolphin – I really, really love the idea of those crisp little potato straws mixed with gooey eggs and ham!  We just found that Wegman’s had restocked Edward’s Petit Country Hams, we have some of Mr. Kim’s mom’s homemade chow-chow, and Aldi has great brioche buns.  I’m thinking that would be my version.  How did you cut the potatoes?  And did you fry them in advance at all, or do they need to go on hot? 

This morning:

IMG_5657.jpg.823cd68f92eac11a94cba1ed78fd65c6.jpg

Scrambled eggs (from my SIL’s chickens), black grapes, and a poppy seed bagel with lox cream cheese. 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 2

11 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@blue_dolphin – I really, really love the idea of those crisp little potato straws mixed with gooey eggs and ham!  We just found that Wegman’s had restocked Edward’s Petit Country Hams, we have some of Mr. Kim’s mom’s homemade chow-chow, and Aldi has great brioche buns.  I’m thinking that would be my version.  How did you cut the potatoes?  And did you fry them in advance at all, or do they need to go on hot? 

Your version sounds excellent!  You can certainly do the potatoes ahead. They are mostly for crunch and since they’re so tiny, they cool in a flash anyway so no need to try and have them hot.  I would have used those potato sticks in a can but came up empty at a few stores. I have an Oxo V-slicer, kind of a mandoline-type thing and used that to cut the potatoes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Shelby– I think what we need to do is borrow @Smithy’s RV and go on the road having meals with all different eG folks.

This morning:

IMG_5665.jpg.28c80be0fa696961f236feb744e11c9b.jpg

Stouffer’s creamed chipped beef on bread machine bread.  Mr. Kim also brought home doughnuts:

IMG_5666.jpg.0aa5056875d7d5d27a324a6cf0c1f310.jpg

Toasted coconut – my favorite. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Another Max Halley-inspired breakfast - this one the sausage and egg sandwich

IMG_3782.thumb.jpeg.fea6222650d95a613568de50c41e5874.jpeg

Crispy grilled sausage and  jammy eggs dressed with a malt vinegar-hot sauce-mayo.  I added a big handful of French-fried onion pieces. 

I put my sausages on the Philips grill before I realized that Max mixes part of the sausage fat into the mayo and uses the rest to fry the inside of the bread pieces so I unfortunately missed out on that added decadence. 

Next time!

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1