• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Funnies

Keith_W

54 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

This would be funny if it weren't one of the Great Miseries of the modern world.

I play the older woman card and usually ask a younger produce guy to open it for me or lightly put a finger on some recently spritzed produce. I am buying. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Especially during masking when you couldn't moisten your finger to get some traction on the bag.

My grandson bought me some nylon mesh bags with drawstrings. The ones down here are so thin that if you finally do get them apart they rip all the way down the side. That food funny doesn't make me laugh, it just makes me grit my teeth and swear.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

This would be funny if it weren't one of the Great Miseries of the modern world.

I usually head to the fresh fish section where their wares lie on beds of ice, then rub my fingers on the ice to moisten them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1002773962-photo-u-1003646800.thumb.jpeg.7896639190e3778e3c349d3bb6570209.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

When I saw these eggs at a motel complementary breakfast I couldn't eat them. They look like yellow alphalfa Cubes.

20230625_071312.jpg

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

When I saw these eggs at a motel complementary breakfast I couldn't eat them. They look like yellow alphalfa Cubes.

Yikes.

sad, isn't it?

the bulk product, or similar,,, :

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/martins-quality-eggs-20-lb-bag-in-box-fresh-liquid-whole-eggs/873331016.html

they pour it into a pan and bake until firm, or over firm, or dry and crumbly and really terrible . . .

otoh, we've stayed at budget places where the cook baked, stirred, tended the operation and turned out reasonably decent 'scrambled eggs' - entirely edible, certainly not even close to home made scrambled . . . but . . .

it's not the hotel/the chain . . . it's the person doing the breakfast prep / cooking.

same with oven baked bacon - - - and oven baked "sausage"

there's a big big difference from the cook just tossing the stuff in the over "per directions" and a cook that turns/flips/whatevers during the bake cycle.

or uses a rack instead of letting the stuff swim around in its own fat until the time rings . . . .

same with breakfast pastries - one place had incredible stuff , , , so I asked . . . turns out they get their pastries from a local shop - made fresh that morning . . . not from a box of six dozen assorted frozen Danish . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It reminds me of a Costa Rican friend whose Canadian husband bought her an expensive set of Teflon lined pots and pans years ago. She thought the Teflon was some sort of coating put on for shipping and scrubbed it all off before she used it. He was Furious.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

This post combines a couple of my favorites. One of my favorite (lighter weight) CBC radio shows is called Under the Influence, hosted by longtime ad exec Terry O'Reilly, and covers (of course) advertising. Many years ago he ran a campaign for the NB-based Moosehead brewery, and to his surprise Alan Arkin - one of my longtime favorites - stepped up and wanted to do the series of commercials. Turns out he kept a vacation cottage in Cape Breton and drank Moosehead regularly, and was perfectly happy to give them his time for the non-"celebrity spokesperson" budget they'd allocated. Here's a link to O'Reilly's explanation of how it all came about (offered in Arkin's memory), and one of the ads in question. Disclaimer: O'Reilly's "fun story" isn't all that funny, but the ad captures Arkin's dry delivery pretty well (the campaign won industry awards that year in Canada).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

28 minutes ago, chromedome said:

This post combines a couple of my favorites. One of my favorite (lighter weight) CBC radio shows is called Under the Influence, hosted by longtime ad exec Terry O'Reilly, and covers (of course) advertising. Many years ago he ran a campaign for the NB-based Moosehead brewery, and to his surprise Alan Arkin - one of my longtime favorites - stepped up and wanted to do the series of commercials. Turns out he kept a vacation cottage in Cape Breton and drank Moosehead regularly, and was perfectly happy to give them his time for the non-"celebrity spokesperson" budget they'd allocated. Here's a link to O'Reilly's explanation of how it all came about (offered in Arkin's memory), and one of the ads in question. Disclaimer: O'Reilly's "fun story" isn't all that funny, but the ad captures Arkin's dry delivery pretty well (the campaign won industry awards that year in Canada).

That's a funny story, and a brilliant ad. Thanks for posting the tweet.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown