Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

liuzhou

Lunch 2020

Recommended Posts

A friend hit up the farmer’s market today and picked up some sweet Japanese turnips for me. I am sometimes subject to poor impulse control, so lunch was Japanese turnips with miso and a bit of King Arthur soft wrap bread on the side. 
14FF17C7-0EDE-4CAE-9357-190432663C0D.thumb.jpeg.323bb5481e4d5d4daa4baef7a2adb090.jpeg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today we did the 100 lunches for 3 homeless shelters alone again (if we pack and deliver them by ourselves no one else is exposed to one another.  We got lunch to bring home from Hogshead Café - a local BBQ and seafood place.  I got the Pork Wings and hush puppies:

IMG_2243.jpg.532c9af4e413f7830bef58abb1a3c3c5.jpg

Braised shanks fried and topped with BBQ sauce.  Mr. Kim got the steamed shrimp:

IMG_2244.jpg.d0ce679d767d8ca7b8f2fab3f324979f.jpg

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Delicious 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mumkin said:

A friend hit up the farmer’s market today and picked up some sweet Japanese turnips for me. I am sometimes subject to poor impulse control, so lunch was Japanese turnips with miso and a bit of King Arthur soft wrap bread on the side. 
14FF17C7-0EDE-4CAE-9357-190432663C0D.thumb.jpeg.323bb5481e4d5d4daa4baef7a2adb090.jpeg

 

Question about Japanese turnips.  I've been reading a recipe in Nancy Singleton Hachisu's Food Artisans of Japan:  four-hour caramelized turnips with parsley sauce.  She says to cook the turnips four hours sous vide.  But she neglects to specify a temperature.  Is there a particular temperature Japanese sous vide their turnips?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The virus has scuppered my planned return to Austria is year but it can't stop me from making Austrian food.

"Button dumplings" with scrambled eggs.

SacFmYI.jpg

 

Matjes are good for the skin

ku0krR5.jpg

 

K7euQdT.jpg

 

My first home-made aquachile. I enjoyed it many times in Mexico.

G1rpbbb.jpg

 

th4N97e.jpg

 

I like my oysters raw but made an exception this time.

YhHz3r5.jpg

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Question about Japanese turnips.  I've been reading a recipe in Nancy Singleton Hachisu's Food Artisans of Japan:  four-hour caramelized turnips with parsley sauce.  She says to cook the turnips four hours sous vide.  But she neglects to specify a temperature.  Is there a particular temperature Japanese sous vide their turnips?

 

I can't speak to how it's done in Japan, but I tried it once, per this Anova recipe, for 30 minutes @ 85ºC. It was an underwhelming outcome, so I haven't revisited turnips-under-vacuum. Four hours, you say? Hmm.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, mumkin said:

 

I can't speak to how it's done in Japan, but I tried it once, per this Anova recipe, for 30 minutes @ 85ºC. It was an underwhelming outcome, so I haven't revisited turnips-under-vacuum. Four hours, you say? Hmm.

 

Thanks.  Maybe she has an erratum listed somewhere giving the temperature for the recipe.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late lunch or early dinner, whichever. Pork chop, fried potatoes with onion, purple hull peas with tomato relish.

 

20200517_152535.thumb.jpg.4ccbd6c4326b88824cbecbf01f94ef6c.jpg

 

More childhood comfort food.

  • Like 2
  • Delicious 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tortilla chips, guac and salsa.

Good Japanese beer.

 

 

IMG_20200511_155009.jpg

IMG_20200511_155229.jpg

  • Like 5

~ Shai N.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An open-faced "hammy chicken" melt sandwich, radish and arugula salad.

 

IMG_9359.jpg

  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@weinoo thanks for reminding me that I have that same Cuisinart panini/ griller whatever. 
  I’ve never used it! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

@weinoo thanks for reminding me that I have that same Cuisinart panini/ griller whatever. 
  I’ve never used it! 

They work pretty well for what they are meant to do.

  • Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

mweinstein@eGstaff.org

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chili-rubbed salmon sandwiches. Fresh bread and perfectly cooked fish made for a great lunch.  The thick end of the fillet had that melty, oozy, buttery texture that made it hard to quit "trimming".

IMG_20200519_123722619.thumb.jpg.55f097105d6bc9ecb30d97189b79c67c.jpg

 

IMG_20200519_123334121.thumb.jpg.85db8e4db5e1d5743476dede3d896cb8.jpg

  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@robirdstx - that sandwich looks perfect.  I love tuna on rye!

 

We had to run to Penzey's to pick up an order today, so we got lunch to bring home from a favorite place in our old urban neighborhood.  Pizza and Steak & cheese subs:

IMG_2294.jpg.676ac441cbf284f062b95bd4f2ada371.jpg

 

IMG_2295.jpg.075a8170cf4ed78f5cd5ddc32ad36046.jpg

Still the best pizza, as far as we know, in Richmond.  I could wish for a more bubbly crust, but the sauce and proportions are spot on.  Ignore the mustard on the sub.  Mr. Kim was wearing a mask and we figured that she mistook what he asked for. 

  • Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@robirdstx - that sandwich looks perfect.  I love tuna on rye!

 

We had to run to Penzey's to pick up an order today, so we got lunch to bring home from a favorite place in our old urban neighborhood.  Pizza and Steak & cheese subs:

IMG_2294.jpg.676ac441cbf284f062b95bd4f2ada371.jpg

 

IMG_2295.jpg.075a8170cf4ed78f5cd5ddc32ad36046.jpg

Still the best pizza, as far as we know, in Richmond.  I could wish for a more bubbly crust, but the sauce and proportions are spot on.  Ignore the mustard on the sub.  Mr. Kim was wearing a mask and we figured that she mistook what he asked for. 

 

And what was it that he asked for?

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shrimp with butter, garlic, garlic chives, parsley, cilantro, lime juice. Local asparagus that came in a variety of sizes.  I served the skinny ones raw.  Some were jumbo (not shown).

 

18550D71-C3DD-4B03-BB9F-B1FDF2AA10CF.thumb.jpeg.680662869ccc8eb3dd5875db6ca6c1f8.jpeg

  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shrimp salad.  It was supposed to be a picnic but weather did not cooperate.

FA0A8CE8-27B7-4502-B4CA-896FD35AE273.thumb.jpeg.d0f22116649c3325dbca6d37cfbf0131.jpeg

  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lunch in the spring of coronavirus.20200524_131701.thumb.jpg.24655ae7c4c0785aaf0c60da73d00d1c.jpg

 

Seconds may be required.

 

  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SV confit yolks, chestnut mushrooms and home-made ricotta.

AQum6zJ.jpg

 

3MQcHdA.jpg

 

Soup but not hot.

4cKRmbf.jpg

 

Og2CsBw.jpg

  • Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So happy that one of our favorite banh mi places in NYC reopened this week for takeout/delivery...

20200524_142225_HDR.thumb.jpg.3399b771dea31366c55870675d5fe159.jpg

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...