• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Spring seems to have sprung from what I can gather, atleast in parts of the northern hemisphere so hopefully it won't be long before we start to see some of the beautiful produce again. 

My haul from a farmers market in the big town this morning. 

Kg of Zucs, 3 green capsicum (sorry folks), birds eye chillis, kale, spring onion, kg of chat pots, peeled chinese garlic cloves, 1/2 watermelon and the best bit 4 (4!) Beautiful caulis weighing well over a kilo each. Can't wait for the season. 

20180421_194107.jpg

• Like 5

I skipped the Thursday market closest to me so I went to the Camarillo Farmers market this AM and managed to control myself with this fairly modest haul:

IMG_7647.thumb.jpg.4ac61db167c0342890c074462fcdd9dd.jpg

Clockwise from the very large celery (I had to provide scale for that one:D) :  English peas, fava beans, lemons, grapefruit, parsley and eggs

• Like 6

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I skipped the Thursday market closest to me so I went to the Camarillo Farmers market this AM and managed to control myself with this fairly modest haul:

IMG_7647.thumb.jpg.4ac61db167c0342890c074462fcdd9dd.jpg

Clockwise from the very large celery (I had to provide scale for that one:D) :  English peas, fava beans, lemons, grapefruit, parsley and eggs

I thought grapefruit?  At a farmers market?  But then I remembered where you were.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Obviously, some people around these parts planted long before I did. Today's market yielded:

5b00803fdb38c_market0519.JPG.862d72ef8c7e6b21ecf0cf4c4e9fcaf0.JPG

Yellow crookneck squash, asparagus, new potatoes, strawberries, cucumbers, zucchini, scallions, snow peas and, thank you, Jesus, the Amish greenhouse tomatoes were ready! There will be BLTs this week, yes, there will. Oh, and cinnamon rolls (also from the Amish community).

I am seriously contemplating getting up and sauteeing some of that yellow squash in butter with onions Right Now. And having that and sliced tomatoes for dinner.

• Like 5

Stopped briefly at farmers market this morning. A plethora of greens and really good cherries. I got white nectarines, apricots, cherries, lacinto kale, red amaranth, fresh sweet onions with tops, young zuke, tiny super juicy Persian cukes, and a few teeny brussels sprouts. 

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

• Like 10

Here's my haul from the market this morning:

5b1bd11c0bd4d_market0709.JPG.29c1eb4fa2a8a25d530396aee02aab5a.JPG

New potatoes, eggplant, blueberries, blackberries, romaine, onions, zucchini, yellow squash, peaches, Carolina gold tomatoes, Arkansas Travelers tomatoes. I'll have all this in my garden, except the eggplants and fruit and potatoes, by next weekend, but nothing yet. Lots of green tomatoes on the vines. Beans are looking nice. Grass crop is looking quite healthy.

June and July are prime market months. We'll start getting sweet corn around the end of June. I've found a local grower who is growing Silver Queen, and already reserved 120 ears to cut off and freeze.

My two rows of Kentucky Wonders are looking pretty good, albeit fighting with the grass. Got to get out this week and stick them. Maybe Monday morning.

• Like 5