• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

David Ross

eG Cook-Off 76: Consider the Schnitzel

I was showing my Schnitzel pictures to a Bolivian friend this afternoon.  She assures me Silpancho is a famous Bolivian dish of cutlets tenderized and pounded thin, breaded, fried, and served with a fried egg.  Sounds good to me.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Last night's pork schnitzel with air fryer frites.  I got the cook time right this time....not over done.  Took about a minute a side.

DSC02339.thumb.jpg.abb54912f13c79899452044e2a178ea7.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

The video that @BonVivant posted talks about the restaurant using pork over veal as it stays more juicy, pounding to about 3x original size from the cut shown which butterflied a slice from the loin allowing them to end up with that dinnerplate size. The idea of starting in the hot pan and then going to lower temp pans of course is a restaurant application but might adapt to one pan with heat adjustmet. The end result looks shatteringly crisp and lovely :)

• Like 3

Now that I have the Paderno pounder I realized I could make my cutlets as thin as I liked.  I had vacuum sealed a couple cutlets from the other day.  These I pounded till they practically filled their bags:

Cutlets03152018.png

Because they were so thin they were harder to work with but not impossible...

Dinner03152018.png

By the way this a serving platter not a normal dinner plate.  I had two cutlets and two fried eggs.

• Like 15

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:26 AM, Kim Shook said:

I am loving this thread and have a huge urge for Schnitzel now.  I love all the different versions.  For those of you who are making the tonkatsu version I can vouch for @Marlene's 3 sauce versions to go on it:

Tonkatsu Sauce

Easy Tonkatsu Sauce

Quick Tonkatsu Sauce

Now, I need a trip back to the Hobo Hut in Batesville IN for a pork tenderloin sandwich - mayo, lettuce, tomatoes and pickles and always bigger than the bun:

DSCN9897.JPG.e58941ac00efc640ef63ce776e891283.JPG

Meet me there @caroled?  And bring your momma!

You think I could keep her away from you? And remember, I didn't go with ya'll, I was here waiting for the tamale delivery that never came! 

• Like 5

Dropped into the grocery store before work on Saturday - found some half price veal. 

IMG_8705.thumb.JPG.1d60c2d207bed781d8d3235f62641155.JPG

IMG_8704.thumb.JPG.1845d26c8b2f37d90a59c7902826dcd5.JPG

This evening giving it the treatment. Seasoned flour, eggs whipped with immersion blender and panko.

IMG_8706.thumb.JPG.a399648971c38f6892e5a1eb5c26f26f.JPG

I have two 3/4 sheet pans with cutlets in the fridge drying now - will transfer to the freezer shortly and vacuum seal once frozen. 

I'll stick a few in the fridge for Tuesday's dinner. 

Not a bad haul for around $8.

• Like 13

IMG_8718.jpg.307b778de133e8968c2eaf7dcf95914f.jpg

Not my best photo - smoke alarm set off by the second two schnitzel cooking - child started to howl - had to abandon picture taking for responsible mothering. And worse - my schnitzel were a bit browner than I like!

• Like 7
  • Haha 4