• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

Our niece is moving to Florida and came over yesterday for a good-bye lunch.  Just sandwiches – egg salad, tunafish salad and white and rye bread:

DSCN8424.JPG.495fb5442521a3d7001679ca12451b0a.JPG

“Chippy dip” (the name a tiny Jessica gave chips and dip – it stuck and now is one of those family names):

DSCN8423.JPG.6f5648f1d9ccdd8df6cef456a4498e7e.JPG

Fruit and sliced tomatoes:

DSCN8422.JPG.b8cfecc17eee20ed238912f476bcc52e.JPG

• Like 10

Lunch today with friends at our favorite nearby café.

Mine was a patty melt with cold slaw on the side….vey good although the cole slaw had a small amount of pineapple in it and the dressing wasn't my particular favorite.

My friends had eggs and bacon and one had taco salad.  The food there is very good and it's a very friendly place to go.

• Like 3

Salami, marinated zucchini ribbons and roasted red peppers with mayo and Dijon mustard along with the first of the homemade pickles from the garden. This time, on a poppy seeded hard roll, plus I started slicing the zucchini destined for sandwiches, twice as thick as those intended for salads or garnishes. The thicker slice brings a very satisfying crunch to the table in the sandwich.

HC

IMG_1435.thumb.JPG.69881a8b796daada09f4b7edeb609bda.JPGIMG_1430.thumb.JPG.c6fe599a92362f3c18c6151145a974e3.JPGIMG_1432.thumb.JPG.3171e53d3baf8842b07c7a69127cc63c.JPG 

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

The thicker slice brings a very satisfying crunch to the table in the sandwich.

I would need jaw retractors!   But once that was done I would love that sandwich.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I would need jaw retractors!   But once that was done I would love that sandwich.

It also helps to leave your sense of decorum by the mirror when you eat this sandwich, and don't bother picking it back up until after you've cleaned up.

HC

• Haha 2

I've been a member here for years, but almost never post anything. In an effort to start carrying my weight here is a picture of today's lunch. My version of falafel based on what's made at Falafel's Drive-In in San Jose. FWIW, they were featured on Triple-D a few years back.

Falafel.jpg

Edited by MRE
spelling (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

- W. C. Fields

Excellent MRE, please, post to your heart’s desire.  I too am bad at remembering to take pictures.  I need a camera that will upload via wifi also......will look for one next week.

i really enjoy the meal posts.  as a group we are pretty good at eating seasonally.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Okanagancook said:

I need a camera that will upload via wifi also......will look for one next week.

iPad for me.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Excellent MRE, please, post to your heart’s desire.  I too am bad at remembering to take pictures.  I need a camera that will upload via wifi also......will look for one next week.

i really enjoy the meal posts.  as a group we are pretty good at eating seasonally.

The sad thing is, I've taken hundreds of pictures over the years, inspired by everyone here. I've just been too lazy to post them. I just retired from teaching and I no longer have even that as an excuse for not posting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

- W. C. Fields

10 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I use my iPhone to take the pictures, and automatically upload them to my laptop. I use the Photos app to edit them (they always need editing, at least in my case). We've got a decent digital SLR around, but it always seems like too much bother, and so rarely gets used.

• Thanks 2

- W. C. Fields

After a few hours in the garden, I made another favorite of mine for lunch, mortadella, imported fontina cheese, marinated zucchini, roasted red pepper on a hard roll with mayo and Dijon mustard. The cheese seemed to stabilize this one so it was much easier and less messy to eat than the similar sandwich I made yesterday.

HC

IMG_1442.thumb.JPG.1dc30cca3bda793327a1f3ea0828b1a9.JPGIMG_1444.thumb.JPG.5ff9a70e7d98d4618abd424f4fa62f17.JPG

• Like 6

half a leftover double bison cheese burger with bacon on a toasted English muffin... with some tiny sweet pickled gherkins  and peppadews.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Lunch came from the smoker today.  Well first it came from Walmart. I was in there because Valencia oranges are in season now and they have them. About the only time I drink orange juice is when I can squeeze those wonderful oranges.   After I got them I looked around and saw this big steelhead trout fillet and decided it would be good for lunch. It spent about an hour and a half in the smoker with  corn and tomato topped with bread crumbs and butter and smoked with apple wood.  The corn had a little too much time with the smoke but it was still juicy and tender.

20180720_134723.jpg

20180720_135313.jpg

• Like 11

Lunch today was KFC picked up while I was in town.  dark meat chicken (original style) was good, once I peeled off the flabby skin.  I threw out the too sweet cookie along with the biscuit.  The potatoes and gravy were good too.

• Like 2