• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

This didn't photograph well. My fault, not the food's  Some people here are probably glad they can't see it so well.

Pig liver and onions, Chinese style. With very non-Chinese buttery mash. There was a side of wok-wilted lettuce which I forgot to photograph. How offal!

liver.thumb.jpg.d3c3dd6e3dba9757d831e8ace35d5f08.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

21 hours ago, HungryChris said:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/156030-dinner-2018-part-1/?page=141&tab=comments#comment-2163242

It was quite famous in the area for years. The mother of the guy who opened the pizza place next to the brewery worked there for over 20 years.

Hughies was in the same neighborhood and was closed by the same controversial eminent domain land dispute documented in a recent movie called 'The Little Pink House'.

HC

If that link takes me to that salad, I can't read.😐

• Like 2

OOOH @Shelby,  messy is good.  Especially when it is a fully loaded lasagna.  

716922859_GreenPeppercornSteakAugust30th2018-Copy.thumb.jpg.99d5d70f1abf8fa80d59c538511bc5ea.jpg

A work night dinner that didn't take longer than 40 minutes to prepare.

1531392019_GreenPeppercornSteakAugust30th20182.thumb.jpg.844049b5789884036bd73323e8a0edfc.jpg

Green Peppercorn steak with roasted potatoes, sauted mushrooms and steamed green beans.

I put some dried green peppercorns in hot beef broth and set aside. Cut up the potatoes and got them into the steam oven.
When the potatoes were half way cooked, after about 12 minutes, I seared the steaks, removed them from the pan. Added a minced shallot and a minced garlic clove. Sauted for about 90 seconds and then deglazed with a splash of cognac, added the green peppercorns and broth and simmered until reduced to about 2 tablespoons. Added the cream and continued to simmer on low until reduced and thickened. While the sauce was simmering, sauted the mushrooms and put the green beans on to steam. During the last 3 or four minutes needed to finish the vegetables, placed the steaks back into the pan with the sauce to warm up.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

If that link takes me to that salad, I can't read.😐

Suffice it to say that Hughies was a renowned local restaurant, opened in the seventies by a retired local boxing legend, Hugh Devlin. It was a mecca for garlic lovers. The boxing glove shaped menus had a note at the bottom of the first page: "All our dishes contain garlic, unless requested otherwise". Hughies was famous for it's Love Salad, a pretty simple salad that consisted of cubed iceberg lettuce dressed in a heavily  garlic laden Italian dressing with chunks of tomato, strips of cooked salami, provolone cheese, topped with a copious amount of grated parmesan cheese and served in a wooden bowl. One of the favorite dinners there for a garlic lover would be a Love Salad with garlic bread and shrimp scampi. Countless local articles in newspapers raved about the Hughie's Love Salad. Sadly, a controversial eminent domain land dispute closed and tore down the restaurant for an enterprise that was never fully realized. The recent movie, 'The Little Pink House' documents that dispute with the true story of a nearby homeowner who was struggling to put her life back together after a divorce, and refused to give up.  

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Suffice it to say that Hughies was a renowned local restaurant, opened in the seventies by a retired local boxing legend, Hugh Devlin. It was a mecca for garlic lovers. The boxing glove shaped menus had a note at the bottom of the first page: "All our dishes contain garlic, unless requested otherwise". Hughies was famous for it's Love Salad, a pretty simple salad that consisted of cubed iceberg lettuce dressed in a heavily  garlic laden Italian dressing with chunks of tomato, strips of cooked salami, provolone cheese, topped with a copious amount of grated parmesan cheese and served in a wooden bowl. One of the favorite dinners there for a garlic lover would be a Love Salad with garlic bread and shrimp scampi. Countless local articles in newspapers raved about the Hughie's Love Salad. Sadly, a controversial eminent domain land dispute closed and tore down the restaurant for an enterprise that was never fully realized. The recent movie, 'The Little Pink House' documents that dispute with the true story of a nearby homeowner who refused to give up.  

HC

I'm going to make this for Moe tonight.

• Like 2

The Lebanese gluttony way to have a proper Mezzeh of tens of dishes culminates at Dessert time before Sheshas and Turkish Coffee (which in fact should be called Syrian Coffee as it is a Syrian couple who traveled and brought coffee to Istanbul and started the coffee preparation way. The coffee is Mokha coffee named after the Yemen port of Mokha........ hence the name of Moka for coffee)

The rub is by the time the Mezzeh is finished. The huge table is littered with empty dishes and serving plates. So, instead of clearing the table, we simply move to the adjacent table where the Desserts and Fruits are laid.

But yesterday, we went one better and instead of moving tables for Dessert, we moved restaurants and I was blinked to another Arabic Allepian Sweets place where I had a dessert which I did not have for a very very long time and is purely and strictly an Allepian dessert called Haytalieh.

My guess is that Haytalieh came into being by combining the original discovered Arabic Ice Cream and Cornstarch.

The Cornstarch is cooked separately in rectangular pans using scalded milk and laid to cool before being cuts into cubes.

This is served with some of the cooked milk and Milk Ice Cream.

The one I had was even a step higher as the Milk Ice Cream was replaced by Clotted Cream Ice Cream sprinkled with Pistachio gravel.

Yes, it brings you closer to your doctor and not recommended after a heavy meal.

BUT it is refreshingly cold and creamy and crunchy and soft and pillowy and it has magic effect which makes you feel like a child sitting at a single table in an empty prairie enjoying a bowl of Haytalieh and the whole world can go Pfffft.

I am not putting up the Mezzeh pics as I did not take any. But here are the Haytalieh pics for your enjoyment.

Haytalieh as served

Id3WhTg.jpg

Haytalieh re-shot to show the Cornstarch floating cubes

iDEncn2.jpg

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Tonight's dinner was a copycat version of @HungryChris's Hughie's Love Salad.  For which I thank him.

1222537544_HughiesLoveSaladcopyAugust31st20181.thumb.jpg.0cd816fe2e6c5c98e958ddd0549f3b77.jpg

Moe is always happy when I make him a salad for dinner.  

I also had a batch of dough in the fridge since Tuesday.  I had Matt take the  dough out late afternoon so that I could bake baguettes

tonight.

1677321637_ArtichokePestoPizzaAugust31st20183.thumb.jpg.b55f182234a0aa036cc7645fb4e5bf2c.jpg

I promised him a pizza with some of the dough and his choice was a Artichoke pesto pizza.

146076702_ArtichokePestoPizzaAugust31st2018.thumb.jpg.d36c0b8faf01875ced494090d8f5354e.jpg

Made a quick fresh sauce from our own tomatoes. 

43671558_OliveOilGarlictomatopizzabreadAugust31st2018.thumb.jpg.5d49dbb0c1ca6dc69a5e859dd1026386.jpg

I also made a olive oil and garlic pizza bread to serve with the salad. 

974719736_OliveOilGarlictomatopizzabreadAugust31st20181.thumb.jpg.31debe12778be90447187af55912d3c5.jpg

Also topped it with a little of the tomato sauce. 

• Like 14
  • Delicious 6

0F010709-A2C7-425F-876F-9507C10496FB.thumb.jpeg.c28e30bbaed6eeab0ef302bad0de67c8.jpeg

Chicken livers, Japanese style, and cabbage salad with a carrot-ginger dressing. 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Duvel said:

Lovely livers, @Anna N !!! But you need to give me a bit more than “Japanese style” 😉

Sort of this

• Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

At what time do you usually have your dinner? In Israel, many (most?) people prefer to have their dinner around noon, with a lighter supper at evening.

So my lunch time dinner - 

Fava beans with rosemary and cumin; 

An egg salad with tahini, schug, pickled cucumbers, onion and parsley;

Salsa of tomatoes, chilis, olive oil, lemon juice and sumac;

Labneh with olive oil and zaatar;

Pita, and some beer.

IMG_20180825_154248.thumb.jpg.f02d38c2a69441085b8e7ad0f25f478a.jpgIMG_20180825_154327_1.thumb.jpg.4b313725655b86765068d2eacf897fbf.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 14

~ Shai N.

53 minutes ago, Shelby said:

This looks so good.  The cubes are....potatoes?  Did you make the cranberry dressing? 

Thanks!

served room temp or barely warmed. 

Cubes are fried red potato "croutons "

cranberry dressing is 1tbsp Crosse and Blackwell cranberry chutney , pinch of salt , oil and vinegar.  I hoard the C & B which often only shows up at Thanksgiving in stores.  It's not regular cranberry dressing...there are spices.  Great with smoked pork tenderloin and holiday salads. Amazon has it all year at $12 a bottle which is insane, but one bottle will do about 10 meals so if push comes to shove, I'd probably pay it. 

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

157F14E3-53F2-4DBD-9EE2-0E08697B710B.thumb.jpeg.2db93c6afab29379427ffddefb7dbeb2.jpeg

Yakisoba using some leftover duck meat. 

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog