• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

I am so jealous. I'm not allowed to garden due to being immune compromised because of the medication I take for my arthritis. And no one else in the house has enough of a green thumb to help. :( (The biggest risk is a fungal lung infection, which are exactly no fun at all and don't have great survival rates. So the chance is relatively small but not worth risking.)

Today's report from Enablers-R-Us: "The Enchantingly Easy Persian Cookbook," link here, is available as an e-book for $1.99.

I know nothing about it, but then, I know nothing about Persian cooking, either, so it's worth $2.99 to learn something.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

7 hours ago, kayb said:

Today's report from Enablers-R-Us: "The Enchantingly Easy Persian Cookbook," link here, is available as an e-book for $1.99.

I know nothing about it, but then, I know nothing about Persian cooking, either, so it's worth $2.99 to learn something.

This purchase was not so hard...but then there were the three other kindle books I just bought as well:

Salted

Food52 Cookbook, volume 2

The Cuisines of Spain

All at $1.99 today.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

15 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This purchase was not so hard...but then there were the three other kindle books I just bought as well:

Salted

Food52 Cookbook, volume 2

The Cuisines of Spain

All at $1.99 today.

I have resisted all day long but you pushed me over the edge and I fell for Salted. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, Anna N said:

I have resisted all day long but you pushed me over the edge and I fell for Salted. 

I was forced to stop reading this by the fear that my eyeballs would eventually become detached from their moorings. They were being rolled so often  I may have a permanent case of nystagmus. 

"Any salt with a death grip on the moment should not be forsaken, lest the dream escape."

And my brain shut down trying to decipher sentences like this.   And the quoted sentence is one of the milder examples of over-the-top use of language.  YMMV. 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

I was forced to stop reading this by the fear that my eyeballs would eventually become detached from their moorings. They were being rolled so often  I may have a permanent case of nystagmus. 

"Any salt with a death grip on the moment should not be forsaken, lest the dream escape."

And my brain shut down trying to decipher sentences like this.   And the quoted sentence is one of the milder examples of over-the-top use of language.  YMMV. 

Reading Bitterman is quite a trip.  And here I thought my prose was florid.  I confess I bought the book sight unseen because late at night I confused Mark Bitterman with Mark Bittman.  (As amazon's search engine does also.)  Nonetheless Salted is an interesting read and worth the $1.99.

Wonder if Bittman is up to anything more productive after the debacle of purplecarrot?  Somehow purplecarrot makes the idea of boutique salt sound sensible.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Reading Bitterman is quite a trip.  And here I thought my prose was florid.  I confess I bought the book sight unseen because late at night I confused Mark Bitterman with Mark Bittman.  (As amazon's search engine does also.)  Nonetheless Salted is an interesting read and worth the $1.99.

Wonder if Bittman is up to anything more productive after the debacle of purplecarrot?  Somehow purplecarrot makes the idea of boutique salt sound sensible.

Isn't he lecturing at some university?  Seem to recall something along those lines. Columbia maybe?

My 2004 eG Blog

@JoNorvelleWalker  

Nice.  Geography considered.  A bit more North,  One local chain ( Shaw's ) had them for $ 1.99  . twice a year.  

I bought Large !   

this may be a thing of the Past , as Ive missed this years Deals. They might have never existed !

so Ive moved to ALDI  at $ 1.87   6 months worth at a time.

what can you do ?

14 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker  

Nice.  Geography considered.  A bit more North,  One local chain ( Shaw's ) had them for $ 1.99  . twice a year.  

I bought Large !   

this may be a thing of the Past , as Ive missed this years Deals. They might have never existed !

so Ive moved to ALDI  at $ 1.87   6 months worth at a time.

what can you do ?

Make my own.

• Like 1

A curse upon whoever it was (don't remember if it was this topic or another one) who posted the link to igourmet! I can tell that place is going to cost me significant money.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

On 1/2/2017 at 9:13 PM, boilsover said:

Thermoworks is having a sale through 1/4/17.  Industrial IR gun, $33.  Instant read pocket, $16.  Triple timer, and many more...

Because one can never have too many ;), I ordered another Extra Big & Loud Timer, this one in red. Since I am partially deaf I really like these. For the time being this one will stay at my FIL's house. He is in a care facility and I go to his house once during the week and my DW and go there once during the weekend. It was part of the agreement for him to go into the facility.

Besides being able to hear it I love being able to set exactly how long, down to the second, the amount of time I want. That is especially helpful during Christmas cookie baking. I bake with the convection on but still need to turn the pans 1/2 way through baking. If I am busy on the computer while baking the cookies, it allows me to adjust the time to account for how long it takes to walk from the computer (in the family room) to the kitchen.

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Another Kindle book/cookbook:

"Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen" by Laurie Colwin $1.99 U.S.

It's part of their "feel good" books sale.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

11 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Another Kindle book/cookbook:

"Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen" by Laurie Colwin $1.99 U.S.

It's part of their "feel good" books sale.

Oh boy!  Absolutely a must-have if you don't have a prescription for Valium.  The hardcopy is around here somewhere but to have it on my Kindle ... 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Aaaannnndddd:

The New Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, Deborah Madison, $1.99 ebookir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00CNQ9SJ.

The New James Beard, $1.99 ebook.

Curry, A Tale of Cooks and Conquerors, Lizzie Collingham, $1.99 ebook.

Viniagrettes and Other Dressings, Michelle Anna Jordan, $2.99 ebook.

The Complete Book of Butchering, Smoking, Curing and Sausage-Making, Philip Hasheider, $2.99 ebook.

A sampling from the email Amazon so helpfully sent me today. You're welcome. ( @IowaDee, I'm looking at you....)

Edited by Smithy
Fixed broken link (log)
  • Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

3 minutes ago, kayb said:

Aaaannnndddd:

The New Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, Deborah Madison, $1.99 ebook.

The New James Beard, $1.99 ebook.

Curry, A Tale of Cooks and Conquerors, Lizzie Collingham, $1.99 ebook.

Viniagrettes and Other Dressings, Michelle Anna Jordan, $2.99 ebook.

The Complete Book of Butchering, Smoking, Curing and Sausage-Making, Philip Hasheider, $2.99 ebook.

A sampling from the email Amazon so helpfully sent me today. You're welcome. ( @IowaDee, I'm looking at you....)

DAMN IT, KAY!  I was sitting here feeling oh so smug because I already have the book by Laurie Colwin and I wouldn't have to succumb to buying anything.

Then you post this. 

Now I've bought the butchering book.

Sigh.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

DAMN IT, KAY!  I was sitting here feeling oh so smug because I already have the book by Laurie Colwin and I wouldn't have to succumb to buying anything.

Then you post this. 

Now I've bought the butchering book.

Sigh.

But you LOVE me.

I thought of you, actually, when I saw the butchering book. I bought the vegetarian book and the James Beard book, and may well go back and get the curry book.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

2 minutes ago, kayb said:

But you LOVE me.

I thought of you, actually, when I saw the butchering book. I bought the vegetarian book and the James Beard book, and may well go back and get the curry book.

I knew I was looking at something when a visitor arrived and because I'm polite I paid attention to the visitor and forgot what I was looking at. Now I recall it was the vegetarian book!

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, boilsover said:

Sounds like a marriage between these two would be interesting.

Amazingly there are those of us who are attempting to reduce our meat intake and increase our vegetable intake so, yes, they work rather well together. At another time they would have seemed somewhat incongruous even to me. 

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Amazingly there are those of us who are attempting to reduce our meat intake and increase our vegetable intake so, yes, they work rather well together. At another time they would have seemed somewhat incongruous even to me. 

Or maybe not, if Ms. Madison is vegetarian.  But I suppose Mr. Hasheider could be vegetarian himself, so who knows?   

27 minutes ago, boilsover said:

Or maybe not, if Ms. Madison is vegetarian.  But I suppose Mr. Hasheider could be vegetarian himself, so who knows?   

Fairly certain Ms. Madison is not a vegetarian.  

Edited to say  I am so certain that I read somewhere that she did not consider herself a vegetarian despite all her vegetarian books but I can no longer find that so I may be mistaken.   Perhaps if someone else has heard the same thing they might chime in.

edited again to fix grammar. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog