• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

I just received an order from The Spice House last week.  I am debating whether stock up.  I go through black pepper at an alarming rate.  Obviously I don't have much time to think about it.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

The Spice House is an interesting place.

as I understand it , it broke off from Penzey's early on.

and is very similar in its various mixes  

one is not for reasons I can't fathom :   Chicago Steak

its one of my all time favorites and the Penzey's version is much much better

has anyone else noted this ?

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

The Spice House is an interesting place.

as I understand it , it broke off from Penzey's early on.

and is very similar in its various mixes  

one is not for reasons I can't fathom :   Chicago Steak

its one of my all time favorites and the Penzey's version is much much better

has anyone else noted this ?

I live in the greater Milwaukee area, and grew up going to the original Spice House in Wauwatosa, owned by Bill and Ruth Penzey. I believe Bill Jr broke off into the larger franchise and mail order business (Penzeys), and his sister wanted a smaller local flair (only two local stores and mail order). Bill Jr purchased the original Penzey store from his parents.

I was a devoted Penzey user until a couple years ago, when I broke off ties and switched to the Spice House exclusively, for reasons I won't go into. My frustration is as you noted. Although the stores share many of the original brands, there are also many that are proprietary to one or the other. I miss my Penzey exclusive blends, but am finding new treasures at the Spice House.

Edited by KikiAnn (log)
  • Like 1

I expected more from Amazon in terms of Kindle cookbook deals this month. The offerings seem paltry at best, so far.

I know, I know...I am saving money in the long run, but still. :(

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Oops! I think I spoke to soon...

Jacques Pepin's New Complete Techniques Kindle edition $1.99US.

I'm a Prime Member in the US, so you may see a different price on that web page.

A little rudimentary, a mix of color and black & white pics (use the "Look Inside" function to see the pics and recipes)...but still...it's Jacques. C'mon. :cool:

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

4 hours ago, Toliver said:

Oops! I think I spoke to soon...

Jacques Pepin's New Complete Techniques Kindle edition $1.99US.

I'm a Prime Member in the US, so you may see a different price on that web page.

A little rudimentary, a mix of color and black & white pics (use the "Look Inside" function to see the pics and recipes)...but still...it's Jacques. C'mon. :cool:

Sold.

But sadly I could not stop there.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I almost went for Huckleberry, but a lot of people in the Amazon review were complaining about errors.  I'll be curious what you think.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I almost went for Huckleberry, but a lot of people in the Amazon review were complaining about errors.  I'll be curious what you think.

I don't know what came over me, I don't even like cookbooks on Kindle lol.  The picture on the front cover looked so dang good that I just pushed the buy button.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I don't know what came over me, I don't even like cookbooks on Kindle lol.  The picture on the front cover looked so dang good that I just pushed the buy button.

Yup. Watch it. Measurements are way off.  1 cup + 2Tbs A/P flour DOES NOT equate to 280 g.  A total  of 2 1/4 cups of flour will NEVER produce enough dough to fill a 9x5 loaf pan. Damn. 

(Why did I buy it? Because I had to know if the corrections had been made as some reviewers claimed!   Not in the Kindle edition.)

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Here's a list of some corrections said to be from the publisher. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

33 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Yup. Watch it. Measurements are way off.  1 cup + 2Tbs A/P flour DOES NOT equate to 280 g.  A total  of 2 1/4 cups of flour will NEVER produce enough dough to fill a 9x5 loaf pan. Damn. 

(Why did I buy it? Because I had to know if the corrections had been made as some reviewers claimed!   Not in the Kindle edition.)

Yikes!  No wonder it's on sale.  Maybe I'll just look at the pictures.

Tuesday Morning still has lots of Staub in red, rust, and a few pieces of dark blue. I don't keep up on pricing, so I don't know how good the deals are. But, it seemed worthwhile if someone was interested. They also have more Dansk cookware as well.

• Like 3

Browsing the Williams-Sonoma clearance section, I found some great looking olive oil and vinegar from Massimo Bottura. I got them for a mere $5 a bottle; they sell for $40 or so normally. A very happy surprise indeed. The most interesting is the dark cherry balsamic; I'll have to put some thought into how best to use that one.

IMG_5499.thumb.JPG.224b305d5e38273e7e07afef9d532c4a.JPG

• Like 3

Quick followup:
The olive oil is perhaps the mildest I've ever tasted, which will lend itself well to certain applications. I'm partial to super-burly, peppery, throat-burning EVOO.... but it's nice to have a quality mild one in the pantry for when the occasion calls for it. Looking forward to trying the vinegars.

• Like 1

The Kindle version of Irvin Lin's Marbled, Swirled, and Layered: 150 Recipes and Variations for Artful Bars, Cookies, Pies, Cakes, and Moreir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B01IQJ49N is currently $2.99.

The usual disclaimer:  this is the price I paid today, Amazon Prime member in the US.

I've been eying his recipe for white chocolate brownies with strawberry balsamic swirl (found online here) but haven't given it a try yet.  

54 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

The Kindle version of Irvin Lin's Marbled, Swirled, and Layered: 150 Recipes and Variations for Artful Bars, Cookies, Pies, Cakes, and Moreir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B01IQJ49N is currently $2.99.

The usual disclaimer:  this is the price I paid today, Amazon Prime member in the US.

I've been eying his recipe for white chocolate brownies with strawberry balsamic swirl (found online here) but haven't given it a try yet.  

Whew. It is only $3.99 on the .ca site and doesn't require prime membership but it doesn't appeal to me one bit!   Not that there's anything wrong with the book whatsoever but that I know I have the worst time making desserts even the ones I really want to make.  :o

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Anna N said:

Whew. It is only $3.99 on the .ca site and doesn't require prime membership but it doesn't appeal to me one bit!   Not that there's anything wrong with the book whatsoever but that I know I have the worst time making desserts even the ones I really want to make.  :o

You are wiser than I am with your purchases - I rarely make desserts so I suspect this will mostly be fantasy reading for me.

Not that there's anything wrong with that :D!

41 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

You are wiser than I am with your purchases - I rarely make desserts so I suspect this will mostly be fantasy reading for me.

Not that there's anything wrong with that :D!

Exactly. And if it had appealed to me on any level I would have bought it. I no longer feel an absolute heaven-bidden need to actually make recipes from any book.  

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

"Martha Stewart's Cakes: Our First-Ever Book of Bundts, Loaves, Layers, Coffee Cakes, and more"ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00CVS0XY

$6.99US Kindle eBook

I'm a Prime Member in the US and that's the price I see.

While it's not insanely inexpensive, it's far cheaper than most of her Kindle cookbooks. You can see some of the pound cake recipes & variations using the "Look Inside" feature.

Tim Oliver

Another surprise...

"Mexican Today: New and Rediscovered Recipes for Contemporary Kitchens" by Pati Jinichir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B01DVF3KK

$3.99US

I'm a Prime Member in the US, so your price may vary.

Pati has/had a PBS cooking show. You can see a couple of her recipes from the book using the "Look Inside" function.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver