Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

DianaM

The Bread Topic (2016-)

Recommended Posts

I haven't been here in a while. Around Thanksgiving a friend gave me a batch of 100 year old sourdough starter that has been passed down in his family. This got me interested and I have been making big, no-knead breads since then. This week I decided to try something else so I mixed up a standard batch of 600 gm KA Bread Flour, a splash of salt and 100 gm each of chopped walnuts, raisins and dried cherries. Added 200 gm of recently fed starter and about 400 gm water, stirred it up and let it sit for a day in the garage. It was sticky as all get out so I folded it a few times,  poured it onto a piece of parchment paper, let it rise again and then picked the whole thing up and put it into a 450F preheated cast iron dutch oven and put it in a 450F oven. After 20 minutes I took the lid off, stuck in the temperature probe and gave it another 20 minutes with the lid off. The crust wasn't as dark and I wanted when the temp got to 200F so I kept it in for a few more minutes until it got a nice color going. final temp was about 210F Talk about good!

 

DSC06923-small.jpg.fd926790762942222bb80bc700768bb9.jpg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, paulpegg said:

I haven't been here in a while. Around Thanksgiving a friend gave me a batch of 100 year old sourdough starter that has been passed down in his family. This got me interested and I have been making big, no-knead breads since then. This week I decided to try something else so I mixed up a standard batch of 600 gm KA Bread Flour, a splash of salt and 100 gm each of chopped walnuts, raisins and dried cherries. Added 200 gm of recently fed starter and about 400 gm water, stirred it up and let it sit for a day in the garage. It was sticky as all get out so I folded it a few times,  poured it onto a piece of parchment paper, let it rise again and then picked the whole thing up and put it into a 450F preheated cast iron dutch oven and put it in a 450F oven. After 20 minutes I took the lid off, stuck in the temperature probe and gave it another 20 minutes with the lid off. The crust wasn't as dark and I wanted when the temp got to 200F so I kept it in for a few more minutes until it got a nice color going. final temp was about 210F Talk about good!

 

DSC06923-small.jpg.fd926790762942222bb80bc700768bb9.jpg

 

Oh dear God, i want some!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@paulpegg - do you notice a difference in flavor, texture or anything at all between breads with the old starter and those with the younger starter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2018 at 1:44 PM, paulpegg said:

I haven't been here in a while. Around Thanksgiving a friend gave me a batch of 100 year old sourdough starter that has been passed down in his family. This got me interested and I have been making big, no-knead breads since then. This week I decided to try something else so I mixed up a standard batch of 600 gm KA Bread Flour, a splash of salt and 100 gm each of chopped walnuts, raisins and dried cherries. Added 200 gm of recently fed starter and about 400 gm water, stirred it up and let it sit for a day in the garage. It was sticky as all get out so I folded it a few times,  poured it onto a piece of parchment paper, let it rise again and then picked the whole thing up and put it into a 450F preheated cast iron dutch oven and put it in a 450F oven. After 20 minutes I took the lid off, stuck in the temperature probe and gave it another 20 minutes with the lid off. The crust wasn't as dark and I wanted when the temp got to 200F so I kept it in for a few more minutes until it got a nice color going. final temp was about 210F Talk about good!

 

DSC06923-small.jpg.fd926790762942222bb80bc700768bb9.jpg

 

Yes!  - with a salty funky cheese please :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@paulpegg now if only you had left out the raisins I would be all over that loaf.  I love  that you were generous with the add-ins. (except the raisins):)

 

Started a batch of Kaisers this morning.   Destined for Hamburger buns tonight and hopefully pulled pork sandwiches tomorrow.

5a6f8d6be6f99_KaisersJanuary29th2018.thumb.jpg.2ee3f1c953331415fd2ae2a6aa1563f3.jpg

Proofing

5a6f8d735ee87_KaisersJanuary29th20181.thumb.jpg.f729714c9df1eb067b166c7865d28a49.jpg

First batch out of the little CSO.

 

 

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@paulpegg now if only you had left out the raisins I would be all over that loaf.  I love  that you were generous with the add-ins. (except the raisins):)

 

Started a batch of Kaisers this morning.   Destined for Hamburger buns tonight and hopefully pulled pork sandwiches tomorrow.

5a6f8d6be6f99_KaisersJanuary29th2018.thumb.jpg.2ee3f1c953331415fd2ae2a6aa1563f3.jpg

Proofing

5a6f8d735ee87_KaisersJanuary29th20181.thumb.jpg.f729714c9df1eb067b166c7865d28a49.jpg

First batch out of the little CSO.

 

 

Those are beautiful! I'm not ready for such intricacies yet but on my list. What recipe did you use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eric Srikandan said:

Those are beautiful! I'm not ready for such intricacies yet but on my list. What recipe did you use?

@Eric Srikandan, you can find the recipe on my blog here.

 

You are definitely ready for this recipe.  It really is simple and can be made from start to finish in around 4 hours.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@Eric Srikandan, you can find the recipe on my blog here.

 

You are definitely ready for this recipe.  It really is simple and can be made from start to finish in around 4 hours. 

The knotting worried me, but the directions linked in the blog are very helpful! Something to try this weekend, And thank you for the confidence boost :-)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same day bread.  Handmixed a 500g batch at 70% hydration in the morning before leaving for work.  

My son pulled it out of the fridge around 4:00 PM so I could make pizza for dinner.

5a75cdfe74ab9_BatardFebruary1st20181.thumb.jpg.37df8b24b3198621e073f1441c77fedb.jpg

Enough dough left for a 10" Batard, baked in the CSO on the Bread Setting. 

5a75ce029e882_BatardFebruary1st20184.thumb.jpg.5632a6a0ecebe1e4491c526fc094ff0a.jpg

Came out of the oven just before bed so wasn't sliced until morning. 

5a75ce3752c47_BatardFebruary1st2018Toasted.thumb.jpg.b756e14aad919b03223e01e4310aba14.jpg

Makes great toast.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shelby said:

@cyalexa's buns

 

IMG_4031.JPG.d9945074e1f7280c94f2b43890fa2e40.JPG

 

These are things of beauty!


Edited by BetD Grammer-err (log)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Improvised "Four grain bread" - 50% wheat, each 16.6% rye, spelt and emmer. 12h poolish, 70% hydration with 1/3 of the water substituted with home-made yoghurt for a bit of tang, 4h bulk ferment with three stretch-and-fold cycles at room temperature. Baked at 250 oC in a preheated Dutch oven for 15 min, then 30 min without the lid at 200 oC.

Moist open crumb with a very crunchy crust; great nutty flavour. Will continue to work on this one ...

 

IMG_0461.JPG

IMG_0464.JPG


Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Shelby, I'm not familiar with Cyalexa buns, but I think I need to make them.  

 

I resuscitated my sourdough starter recently. It had been neglected for many months.   Took three feedings to bring it back to health.

Baked a batch last week to which I added a pinch of yeast for insurance, just in case. 

 

Yesterday's bake was from a batch of dough made on Wednesday. No yeast this time.

 

Moe took the dough of the fridge for me so it would be ready to work shortly after I got home from work.

5a8060d91935a_SourdoughFebruary10th2018.thumb.jpg.ee5eb6b8b10eceb35f420e93d28f220c.jpg

Baked two boules last night and 

5a8060e2b3828_SourdoughFebruary10th20183.thumb.jpg.11ae982b53181a57fa7d491aec0e3843.jpg

sliced this morning.

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@Shelby, I'm not familiar with Cyalexa buns, but I think I need to make them.  

 

The post where @cyalexa posted her recipe for hamburger and hot dog buns is here. [If the link takes you to the bottom of the page, then go to The Bread Topic, (2014 - 2015), page 21, Aug. 15, 2015] 

 

She made a slight correction in the instructions here (Aug. 17, 2015).

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @Smithy.  I finally put that one in my cookbook notes.  I will be trying these as soon as I am off my diet!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'm going to call this one "forgotten bread." It's the Classic White Bread recipe from the SoNo Baking Company cookbook. I made up a batch of dough yesterday morning, put it in the microwave to rise (microwave serves as a proofing box more than it does a microwave) and promptly forgot it. Got back to it about 4 p.m., some eight hours later. Punched it down, put it back in the microwave. Discovered it when I got up this morning. Oops. Shaped it into a loaf, put it in a pan, let it rise for another hour, and at least remembered to bake it.

 

5a888884bfd57_bread1.jpg.8add00dd48173b32e51af8a86c83d79f.jpg

 

5a888892cb4c5_bread2.jpg.12461cdcc4c27f1290f45f3cdf949f51.jpg

 

The extended rise didn't seem to hurt it, amazingly. It has a very yeasty taste, which is not a bad thing for me. It's a very soft bread, but it's still pretty sturdy. I think it'll make some primo sandwiches or breakfast toast. 

 

In the interest of good, fresh bread for sandwiches and toast, I sliced the entire loaf, interleaved the slices with waxed paper, put it in a plastic bag and stuck it in the freezer as soon as it cooled.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×