• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

7 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I did not know that lids popped off pullman pans, but now I do.  

Interesting!   I have read about it somewhere but I’m very surprised that it actually happened.   The power of yeast always surprises me though.   Looking forward to your report when you finally cut into it.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

Interesting!   I have read about it somewhere but I’m very surprised that it actually happened.   The power of yeast always surprises me though.   Looking forward to your report when you finally cut into it.

Yes, after the 18 minute baking time, I opened the oven door to find the lid sitting on top of the bread, as though the lid had been removed and placed on top of the loaf.  I found it rather peculiar.

We ate a good chunk of the bread today for lunch.  Very happy with the crumb.

20180905_110806.jpg

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

We ate a good chunk of the bread today for lunch.  Very happy with the crumb.

Looks great.  Thanks for sharing.  

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...

Mixed two batches of dough early Monday morning. 

One 1000g batch at 75% hydration and one 750g at 68%.  The smaller batch was 80% Silver Star Flour and 20% Semolina. 

Both doughs went into the fridge and I took the 750g out mid afternoon for a same day bake.

391847087_November12th2018SameDayBakewithSemolina4.thumb.jpg.6c8e471756d140cae7e1509951fabd62.jpg

Six small loaves, four baked in the Oster FD Oven  and two in the CSO using the bread setting.  Came out of the oven just before bed.

156616095_November12th2018SameDayBakewithSemolina3.thumb.jpg.52d7db96fbb872301edadddc58467469.jpg

Sliced this morning to have with pasta. 

November 12th, 2018 Same Day Bake with Semolina 2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1
3 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Mixed two batches of dough early Monday morning. 

One 1000g batch at 75% hydration and one 750g at 68%.  The smaller batch was 80% Silver Star Flour and 20% Semolina. 

Both doughs went into the fridge and I took the 750g out mid afternoon for a same day bake.

391847087_November12th2018SameDayBakewithSemolina4.thumb.jpg.6c8e471756d140cae7e1509951fabd62.jpg

Six small loaves, four baked in the Oster FD Oven  and two in the CSO using the bread setting.  Came out of the oven just before bed.

156616095_November12th2018SameDayBakewithSemolina3.thumb.jpg.52d7db96fbb872301edadddc58467469.jpg

Sliced this morning to have with pasta. 

November 12th, 2018 Same Day Bake with Semolina 2.jpg

Any thoughts for comparison?

Beautiful loaves as always!

• Like 1

@JoNorvelleWalker Not really.  The crumb wasn't as "holey" as the 1000g batch will be when I get around to baking it.   But if I had left the 750 dough in the fridge for a longer fermentation, instead of baking same day it would have been holey too.   

I don't think I used enough of the Semolina flour to notice.    It didn't interfere with the shine though.

• Like 1

Sandwich bread with 30% whole wheat, minced leftover beans and their cooking water, sesame.

It was flavorful, earthy but not very beany, the bean starches made it very soft and tender.

IMG_20181027_143115.jpg

IMG_20181027_143120.jpg

IMG_20181027_143612.jpg

IMG_20181027_143634.jpg

• Like 6

~ Shai N.

Jumping back into bread baking after a long break -- I lost two sourdough starters (one I'd made myself using pineapple juice, and another borrowed from a friend) to overzealous house cleaners and took it as a sign. We happened to be up in Vermont in October and stopped at the KAF store on the way back, and I picked up some of their starter. So far it has been working well for me. I have kept it at 50% per their recommendations.

I have made the KAF naturally leavened sourdough recipe twice now, with good results, baking on my Baking Steel griddle. I forgot to take pictures soon after baking; this is loaf #2 that's a few days old:

bread_loaf.jpg.cb8d1891c347ab0971fa71c9d027370f.jpgbread_crumb.jpg.a6b0499ed471049d8264f7f1bc061b94.jpg

I'm generally very happy with these, though I would love to get more height out of them. When I turn them out of the forms, they end up flattening out almost completely -- so even though they rise well in the oven, they're not very tall loaves. Thinking of reducing hydration a little and/or switching all the AP flour to bread flour, but not sure if these are really the correct responses.

Also curious -- what do others use sourdough discard for? So far I've had great luck with waffles and pizza dough, but middling success with dinner rolls.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, dtremit said:

Also curious -- what do others use sourdough discard for? So far I've had great luck with waffles and pizza dough, but middling success with dinner rolls.

When my starter was still alive, I made pancakes a few times.

• Like 1

“What is called sound economics is very often what mirrors the needs of the respectably affluent.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I tried making pita breads for the first today.  The pita from Shaya uses the same dough for both pizza and pita.  I've already made a couple of pizzas so I figured I should give this a try, too.  

In the oven:

fullsizeoutput_3888.thumb.jpeg.13c1e4aac6086dc67f41a60f8d34c25f.jpeg

And out....nice chewy interior:

fullsizeoutput_3889.thumb.jpeg.66e748ca42603bd40bb17c2608bddd21.jpeg

I was kinda amazed that the pitas actually puffed up like they are supposed to and it's encouraged me to try these again and improve my dough handling.  I liked that he says to slap the dough down on the hot stone (or steel) like you're giving it a high five but I was a little afraid I might actually smack it and burn my hand to I was a bit too tentative.

• Like 4

Nice puff on the pita.  Did you rest the formed pitas before cooking?  Some recipes I have used said that is the secret to getting them to puff.  I have made them both ways with virtually the same result...some don’t puff for some reason.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
4 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Nice puff on the pita.  Did you rest the formed pitas before cooking?  Some recipes I have used said that is the secret to getting them to puff.  I have made them both ways with virtually the same result...some don’t puff for some reason.

Thanks!  I was so amazed that they puffed properly that I grabbed my camera to take a photo while they were still in the oven.

This dough gets several series of turns & folds with 1 hr rise periods in between before resting in the fridge overnight.  After portioning and shaping the dough into balls, they rise for 2-4 hrs but no additional rise or rest is specified after they are flattened out in the final shaping.

Thanks.  Interesting.  My recipe is not as complicated.  One rise, punch down and form balls, let rise and then roll out. I am presuming all your pitas puffed.  

I have a video of some 54 seconds showing the pita puffing but I can’t seem to be able to upload the file type.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 1
39 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

was kinda amazed that the pitas actually puffed up like they are supposed to and it's encouraged me to try these again and improve my dough handling.

I was equally amazed when I followed our own @FoodMan‘s recipe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Puffing occurs whenever a dough with sufficient air bubbles is heated rapidly. In this regard, a pita in not different than any other hearth bread baked at high temperatures. Letting the dough raise after rolling lets new air bubbles be created as an insurance against access degassing at the rolling stage. 

The thinner the pita is rolled, the more distinct the pocket will be. Roti is on the extreme of this spectrom - rolled very thin so that after puffing it collapses into two thin layers. A good pita (of the kind I associate with the word the most) should not be rolled too thin. This allowes the pita to have fluffy and bready "walls" rather than papery ones. Hand pressing it as thick as one whould shape a pizza crust is the way to go. 

Edited by shain
That's what happens when you type on a phone :( (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

~ Shai N.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been testing a new, (at least for me), method of slow roasting beef.  As in 200-225 degrees for hours.  As part of my experimenting I made some soft pretzels rolls which turned out incredibly good for a novice bread baker.

IMG_0668.JPG

• Like 12
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:12 PM, David Ross said:

I've been testing a new, (at least for me), method of slow roasting beef.  As in 200-225 degrees for hours.  As part of my experimenting I made some soft pretzels rolls which turned out incredibly good for a novice bread baker.

IMG_0668.JPG

Thanks to all of you for teaching me about the intricacies of bread baking.  I used these rolls as the base for sandwiches with a slow-roasted beef roast I did last weekend.  I still have some work to do as the interior was a little soft for me and the next day the rolls pretty much crumbled when I cut into them but overall a good start for me.

• Like 3

I was on hold for a long time and then on open line with a tech the other day. I asked her about getting ready for holidays and any baking. She stated "I can't cook". Figuratively took her hand and sent her to several no-knead bread sites. Sharing the love :) 

• Like 7
  • Similar Content

• By Darienne
      So I am gluten-free for a month anyway...along with sugar-free, dairy-free, coffee-free...and so far so good...except for the bread part. 

Ed bought two kinds of gluten-free bread for me to try last week at a regular grocery store in Ontario.  The whole grain bread was from Little Northern Bakehouse and it was awful, both untoasted and toasted.  The sandwich bread was from Glutino...now there's an appealing name...and it was even worse.

Is there such a thing as a passable...not good...just passable...gluten-free bread to buy in a grocery store in Ontario?  No American brands need apply...I won't be able to buy them in East Central Ontario in a small size city.

Thanks. 
    • By Mutleyracers
      Hi all. I hope you are well. I am just into baking bread due to lockdown and need help. Ideally I would like modernist bread but the wife is not quite agreeing to that yet. So I would like some where to start for now until she comes around to the idea. After she has tasted all my amazing breads I make. 

I would like this to be in metric rather than imperial.

Thank you 
    • By Mutleyracers
      Hello everyone. I hope you are all keeping well in these strange times. 

I am Lee. I live in the UK and have been on lockdown since the 16th of March. Like many people I have started getting into bread from listening to the modernist bread podcast. Now i don't have the book (wife won't let me yet, but i am working on it. So I have been trying bread recipes online. I have a Combi Steam oven which I use but all my loaves end up a little sticky in the middle. I have tried a basic white bread loaf with Diax and Jim Lahey's no knead in a pyrex dish. 3 x each so far and they are all a little sticky in the middle. When I squeeze the bread innthe middle it springs back a little but could be turned into a dough ball i think. 

Any way, I have come on here in search of advice.

Kind regards Lee 
    • By curls
      Couldn't find a topic devoted to sourdough discard cooking, so thought I would start one and see how much interest it would generate. Moderators, if there is a topic, please merge.

Recently I have begun making sourdough bread and am caring for a sourdough starter. Since there is currently some difficulty finding flour (due to COVID-19 related supply chain issues, etc.) I don't want to throw out any of my sourdough starter. I am also following guidance from King Arthur Flour and Cooks Illustrated for working with a small sourdough starter (10 g. flour | 10 g. water | 10 g. sourdough starter) and using recipes that use smaller amounts of sourdough starter or only building my starter up if called for by a recipe.

I have made the following recipes and would make them again:
      - King Arthur Flour sourdough discard crumpets. https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-crumpets-recipe
      - King Arthur Flour sourdough discard waffles. I used a mix of yogurt & milk instead of buttermilk but otherwise made the recipe as written.  https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-sourdough-waffles-or-pancakes-recipe

What are you doing with your sourdough discard?
    • By gsquared
      Post your questions here -->> Q&A
      A Sampling of North Indian Breads
      Authors: Monica Bhide and Chef Sudhir Seth
      Introduction
      These breads are the taste of home for me -- wholesome breads prepared with simple ingredients and simple cooking methods. There are many different types of breads in North India. They can be prepared in the tandoor (clay oven, as is done in many restaurants), dry roasted, cooked on a griddle, or deep-fried. They can be prepared plain, or stuffed with savory or sweet filling, or just topped with mouthwatering garnishes.
      In the recipes below we are merely attempting to scratch the surface, presenting you with a glimpse of these magnificent breads.
      North Indian breads are prepared with various kinds of flours. The ones listed here use a whole-wheat flour known as atta and all-purpose flour. The dough is prepared in most cases without the use of yeast. (We have shown a special sweet bread here, called Sheermal, that is prepared using yeast.) Also, the tandoori breads are generally rolled out by hand not with a rolling pin. But in the recipes below, for ease of use for the home cook, we have used a rolling pin. As you will also see then, no special equipment is needed. We have prepared the breads in a traditional oven and in a non-stick skillet. (We have included some pictures towards the end of the lesson of a roti being prepared in a commercial tandoor.)
      A few tips:
      • Knead the dough well, adding only enough water or other specified liquid to make the dough the right consistency.
      • A must for preparing these breads is to let the dough rest as indicated. This will ensure that the dough softens and moistens, making it more pliable and easier to stretch
      • To prepare simple ghee (clarified butter) see below but for a in-depth discussion check out this wonderful thread in the India forum. (See the last few suggestions on preparing it by melting butter.)
      • You can also purchase ghee or clarified butter at your local Indian grocer or from www. Namaste.com.
      Clarified Butter (Ghee)
      Yields: About ½ cup
      ½ lb unsalted butter
      Heat a heavy pan over low heat. Add the butter, allowing it to melt. Once the butter has melted, increase the heat, bringing the butter to a simmer. The butter will start to foam.
      Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Watch carefully as it may burn. The milk solids will start to settle at the bottom, and the liquid butter will float to the surface. When the liquid butter becomes amber in color, remove it from from the heat. Cool to room temperature.
      Strain the amber liquid into a jar and discard the milk solids.
      Cover and store, refrigerated, for up to 6 months.
      Plain Naan Dough
      Naans are traditional Indian breads prepared in clay ovens or tandoors. They are commonplace on most Indian menus. We have tried here to present a simple dough for Naans and then two of the more unusual preparations for it: the Peshawari Naan and the Onion Kulcha. .
      • ½ cup milk
      • 1 teaspoon sugar
      • 1 cup warm water
      • 1 tablespoon yogurt
      • 1 egg
      • 4 cups of all-purpose flour (labelled "maida" in Indian grocery store)
      • 1 teaspoon salt
      • 1 teaspoon baking powder
      • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (for baking tray)
      • 2 tablespoons clarified butter or ghee
      In a bowl whisk together the milk, sugar, water, yogurt and egg.
      Place the flour, salt and baking powder in a large shallow bowl. Mix well.
      Pour the liquid onto the flour and begin to knead. Continue kneading until you have a soft dough. If you need more liquid, add a few tablespoons of warm water. Knead for at least 10 minutes, or until you have a soft dough that is not sticky.
      Oil the dough.
      Cover the dough with a damp cloth and place in a warm place for 1½ - 2 hours, or until the dough has doubled in volume.
      Directions for plain naan:
      Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a large, heavy baking tray and set aside. Lightly dust the rolling surface and rolling pin with flour.
      Knead the dough again on the floured surface for about 5 minutes. Divide it into 8 equal pieces and cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap.
      Roll each piece into a ball and flatten it with your hands. Using a rolling pin, roll it out into an oval shape (about 8 inches). Using your hands, pull at both ends of the oval to stretch it a little. Continue until you have made 8 naans.
      Brush each oval with clarified butter.

Place the naans on the baking sheet bake for 5 minutes. Turn on the broiler and broil for an additional 3 minutes or until golden brown.
      Peshawari Naan
      In this delightfully sinful recipe, the naan dough is stuffed with dried nuts and raisins and baked. Serve this warm right out of the oven for the best taste.
      1 recipe prepared plain naan dough
      For the stuffing:
      • 1 tablespoon cashews (crushed)
      • 1 tablespoon almonds (crushed)
      • 1+1 tablespoons pistachios (crushed)
      • 1 tablespoon raisins
      • 1 teaspoon cilantro leaves, minced
      • 1 teaspoon sugar
      • 1 tablespoon Milk Mawa Powder (Dried whole milk powder)

• 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, ground
      • 3 tablespoons melted butter or clarified butter
      Prepare the Naan dough.

While the dough is resting, prepare the filling.
      Set aside 1 tablespoon of pistachios and the raisins. In a mixing bowl combine all the other filling ingredients. Add a few tablespoons of water to bind them together to form a lumpy consistency.
      Roll the dough into a log. Cut into 8 equal portions. Lightly dust the rolling surface with flour.
      Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a large, heavy baking tray and set aside. Lightly oil or flour your hands.
      Take one portion of the dough and roll into a ball between the palms of your hands. Flatten the ball. Place it on the floured surface. Use a rolling pin to roll it out into a circle about 5 - 6 inches in diameter.
      Add a tablespoon of the filling to the center. Bring the sides together and pinch them to seal and form a ball. Flatten lightly. Dust very lightly with flour.

Roll the flattened ball again on a lightly floured surface until about 5 - 6 inches in diameter.
      Garnish with the reserved pistachios and raisins.

Continue until you have made 8 naans.
      Brush each naan with clarified butter. Place the naans on the baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Turn on the broiler and broil for an additional 3 minutes or until golden brown.
      Serve hot.

Onion Kulcha
      We present this recipe by popular demand. Here the naan is stuffed with a spiced onion mix and baked to perfection.
      1 recipe prepared plain naan dough
      For the stuffing:
      • 2 small red onions, finely chopped
      • 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
      • 1 tablespoon Chaat Masala (www.namaste.com)
      • 1 teaspoon red chili powder
      • Salt to taste
      • 3 tablespoons melted butter or clarified butter
      • 2 teaspoons cilantro, minced for garnish
      • small boiled potato, grated (optional)
      Prepare the naan dough.

First, using the palms of your hands, squeeze out all the water from the chopped onions. If the onions still appear to be watery, add a small boiled grated potato to your filling. This will prevent the filling from spilling out of the kulcha.
      In a mixing bowl combine all the filling to form a lumpy consistency.

Roll the dough into a log. Cut into 8 equal portions. Lightly dust the rolling surface with flour.
      Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a large, heavy baking tray and set aside. Lightly oil or flour your hands.
      Take one portion of the dough and roll into a ball between the palms of your hands. Flatten the ball. Place it on the floured surface. Use a rolling pin to roll it out into a circle about 5 - 6 inches in diameter.

Add a tablespoon of the filling to the center. Bring the sides together and pinch them to seal and form a ball. Flatten lightly. Dust very lightly with flour.

Roll the flattened ball again on a lightly floured surface until about 5 - 6 inches in diameter.

Dip your fingers in water and moisten the surface of the kulcha very lightly. Sprinkle with a few minced cilantro leaves. Continue until you have made 8 kulchas.

Place the kulchas on the baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Turn on the broiler and broil for an additional 3 minutes or until golden brown.
      Serve hot.

Ande Ka Paratha
      This is a unique addition to your recipe collection. A mild and flaky bread, it is a small kid’s favorite at our home.
      Makes 8 parathas
      • 2 cups Indian atta flour (whole-wheat flour)
      • 1½ teaspoons table salt
      • 2+2 tablespoons melted butter or clarified butter
      • Water as needed
      • 8 eggs
      In a bowl combine the flour, salt and two tablespoons of clarified butter. Slowly begin to add the water, kneading the flour as you go. Make a dough, kneading for at least 10 minutes. The final dough should be soft and pliable. It should not be sticky or else it will not roll out well.

Cover the dough with a damp cloth or plastic wrap and let it sit for 30 minutes.

Lightly oil or flour your hands. Take one portion and roll into a ball between the palms of your hands. Flatten the ball. Place it on the prepared floured surface. Use a rolling pin to roll it out into a circle about 5 - 6 inches in diameter.
      Now fold the dough over itself.

Take the folded dough and roll it around itself into a spiral.

Tuck the end under.

Do this for all eight dough balls. (This folding and rolling will make the paratha very flaky.)

Now flatten the spiral and roll again on a lightly floured surface until about 5 - 6 inches in diameter.

Heat a griddle on medium heat. Brush it lightly with butter and add the paratha. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until the bottom of the paratha begins to blister. Brush the top lightly with butter and remove from heat. Put the paratha aside on a warm plate.

Grease the same griddle a bit and break an egg on it. Cook the egg sunny side up. Place the cooked side of the paratha on the egg. Press down gently to break the yolk. Let it cook for a minute. Brush the top of the paratha with butter, flip carefully and cook for another minute or two until the paratha is no longer raw.

Remove the paratha from the griddle and place on a serving platter. Cover with a paper towel. Continue until all the parathas are cooked.
      Serve hot.

Indian Bread Stuffed With Spicy Potatoes (Aloo Ka Paratha)
      This filled paratha is a very popular North Indian bread, served traditionally with homemade white butter and Indian pickles of your choice.
      • 2 cups Indian atta flour (whole-wheat flour)
      • 4 tablespoons semolina
      • 1½ teaspoons table salt
      • 2 tablespoons melted clarified butter or butter
      • Water as needed
      • 3 medium potatoes, peeled
      • 2 Serrano green chilies, seeded and finely minced
      • 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
      • 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger root, grated
      • 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala
      • 4 tablespoons melted clarified butter or butter
      • A few tablespoons flour for dusting
      In a bowl combine the wheat flour, semolina flour, salt and two tablespoons of clarified butter. Slowly begin to add the water, kneading the flour as you go. Make a dough, kneading for at least 10 minutes. The final dough should be soft and pliable. It should not be sticky, or else it will not roll out well.
      Cover the dough with a damp cloth or plastic wrap and let it sit for 30 minutes.
      Boil the potatoes in enough water to cover for about 15 minutes. Drain.

Put the potatoes in a bowl and mash them well with a fork. Add the green chilies, cilantro, ginger root, and chaat masala and mix well. Set this filling aside to cool.
      Lightly oil or flour your hands. Take one portion and roll into a ball between the palms of your hands. Flatten the ball. Place it on the prepared floured surface. Use a rolling pin to roll it out into a circle about 5 - 6 inches in diameter.
      Lightly brush the surface with the clarified butter. Add a tablespoon of the potato filling to the center. Bring the sides together and pinch them to seal and form a ball. Flatten lightly. Dust very lightly with flour.

Heat a griddle on medium heat. Brush it lightly with butter and add the paratha. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until the bottom of the paratha begins to blister. Brush the top lightly with butter and flip over. Cook for 2 minutes.

Remove the paratha from the griddle and place on a serving platter. Cover with a paper towel. Continue until all the parathas are cooked.

Sheermal
      A sweet bread, it is one of the few Indian breads that uses yeast. Keep the dough in a warm place to ensure that it rises. You can increase the amount of sugar if you like a sweeter taste.

• 1 packet dry yeast
      • 1 teaspoon sugar
      • ¼ cup water
      • 1½ cups all-purpose flour
      • ¼ teaspoon salt
      • 2 tablespoons sugar
      • 2 eggs (separate 1 egg and set the yolk aside) beat the whole egg and the white together
      • 2 tablespoons melted clarified butter or butter
      • Extra flour for dusting
      • Pitted cherries/raisins for garnish
      Mix yeast with the sugar and 1/4 cup water. Set aside until frothy, about 5 - 10 minutes.
      Combine the flour, salt and sugar. Add the clarified butter, egg and yeast mixture. Knead until a smooth dough is formed. (You may need more warm water.) Set aside to rise until the dough doubles in size.
      Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a large, heavy baking tray and set aside. Lightly dust the rolling surface and rolling pin with flour.
      Knead the dough again on the floured surface for about 5 minutes. Divide it into 6 equal pieces and cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap.
      Roll each piece into a ball and flatten it with your hands. Using a rolling pin, roll it out into a disc. Continue until you have made 6 discs.
      Beat the reserved egg yolk and brush a little on each sheermal. Place a few cherries on the sheermal for garnish. Place the discs on the baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes.

Turn on the broiler and broil for an additional 3 minutes, or until golden brown.

Tandoori Roti
      We wanted to show how the tandoor is used to prepare breads. These pictures are of a special roti or bread, called Tandoori Roti, being prepared in the hot tandoor or clay oven.
      The basic recipe entails preparing a dough of whole-wheat flour. (See the paratha dough prepared earlier.) The flattened rolled out discs are then cooked in the tandoor until the dark spots begin appearing on the surface of the bread.

Post your questions here -->> Q&A