Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 7)


mgaretz
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, sartoric said:

This is oxtail braised in Guinness with lots of garlic, bay and thyme.

Served with herby cheese damper.

 

image.jpeg

 

Looks awesome, have some Aussie recipes, damper included.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I decided to risk the 30 percent chance of thunderstorms and got lucky. It has still hot, but at least the heat advisory was lifted yesterday. We had a T-Bone steak, zucchini planks and a pluot grilled over charcoal. I also threw on a jalapeno for me. This pepper was not as hot as the one that temporarily incapacitated me the other day, but it brought plenty of heat and flavor to the party. Microwave baked potatoes with butter and sour cream and sliced mushrooms and onions finished with soy sauce rounded out the meal.

 

We had more than enough food as it was, but the pluot was so good it made me wish I had cooked two so we each could have had two halves. They were already ripe, but the light grilling brought out the sweet-tartness even more. 

  • Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dessert for dinner, in miniature; first, I made a proper custard, with tempered eggs and hot cream and a whole vanilla bean and all that palaver.

Then, I shaved rhubarb stalks into paper-thin lengths with my mandoline (screaming in terror the entire time, as my usual habit when I use a mandoline) and then poached them in a syrup made of sugar, water, lemon juice and star anise, and carefully dried each one individually with a paper towel.

Then I braided those lengths into a lattice (as you do) and layered gingersnap crumbs, the vanilla bean custard and the rhubarb lattice on top, glazed it with some of the deeply rhubarby poaching syrup and sat back and ate it and pondered the debt to pleasures.

 

13641077_10154374955604122_4892185710865862898_o.jpg

13909307_10154374955589122_5150073473971852047_o.jpg

 

  • Like 28
Link to comment
Share on other sites

El Pollo Loco style chicken again. Had dinner guests so I made enough for 5. Forgot to take a picture of the plate, so this is the leftover chicken. Served with fresh steamed broccoli, baked potato and compressed watermelon for dessert.

 

epl3.jpg

 

  • Like 12

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@rarerollingobject

 

I'm gobsmacked (as my sister would say). Not to mention highly amused by the idea of weaving rhubarb ribbons into a lattice (as you do)! 

  • Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

Dessert for dinner, in miniature; first, I made a proper custard, with tempered eggs and hot cream and a whole vanilla bean and all that palaver.

Then, I shaved rhubarb stalks into paper-thin lengths with my mandoline (screaming in terror the entire time, as my usual habit when I use a mandoline) and then poached them in a syrup made of sugar, water, lemon juice and star anise, and carefully dried each one individually with a paper towel.

Then I braided those lengths into a lattice (as you do) and layered gingersnap crumbs, the vanilla bean custard and the rhubarb lattice on top, glazed it with some of the deeply rhubarby poaching syrup and sat back and ate it and pondered the debt to pleasures.

 

13641077_10154374955604122_4892185710865862898_o.jpg

13909307_10154374955589122_5150073473971852047_o.jpg

 

 

I have to ask - what do you do in your spare time when you are not creating these amazing dishes?   They are amazing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are amazing!  The meals all look fantastic.  Truly inspiring.  Last night we had grilled everything:  IP'd potatoes in a herby butter brush, green beans tossed in EVO with salt/pepper and grilled chicken leg that had a 'general use rub' applied before cooking and then brushed with Chipotle/peach BBQ sauce to finish.  The leg was from a free range animal so it wasn't too fatty and I got hardly any flare ups even with partial direct heat.  We had the whole thing.

DSC01553.jpg

  • Like 18
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Linguini in salsa cruda, with raw tomatoes, ricotta, raw minced garlic, some Parm and a little basil. All mixed into the pasta with super-thick cooking water (I let it reduce to the point of not needing to drain the pasta).

20160729_141341.jpg

 

Pan seared steaks, with butter and rosemary for the meat eaters. Defiantly not something I cook often.

20160716_131645.jpg

 

Dry curry of super-sized chickpeas in cumin and coriander + fried egg for us veggies.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 12

~ Shai N.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Ashen said:

Smothered pork chops and cheesy grits. 

 

 

XgPtKM6.jpg

 

 

8zkq7Dz.jpg

 

nIs3BEH.jpg

Looks good, I just started some smothered pork chops as I saw this. 

 

Great minds.

  • Like 7

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sartoric said:

I'd like to know what the "smothering" consists of, anyone ? Looks delicious.

I'm going with sautéed onions, perhaps a bit of Maderia, chicken stock all reduced then cracked black pepper.  I have some chives to sprinkle on top as well as some fried sage leaves.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, ElsieD said:

 

I have to ask - what do you do in your spare time when you are not creating these amazing dishes?   They are amazing.

 

In my spare time - I work. All I do is work. When I'm not at work, I'm still working anyway. And I work in child protection, so I like finicky cooking projects to take my mind to a completely different place for a few hours. :)

 

But on a happier note: prawn rolls. Steamed prawns, chopped and mixed with (too much) mayo, celery, spring onions, lemon zest and celery salt and piled into a buttery brioche roll, brushed in more butter and toasted in a pan. And topped with some of the delicate inner-most celery leaves I love so much.

 

Now, I realize lobster rolls are a dime a dozen to much of America but they're not really a thing in Australia at all, so this was a real treat. :) 

 

13682397_10154377398339122_1036713205_o.jpg

  • Like 25
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shrimp cocktail is a good thing when done right. Those of you who live in shrimp country, will probably want to change channels when I speak of frozen shrimp, but up here, fresh shrimp is a crap shoot, at best. I quickly thawed frozen, raw gulf shrimp (these were 31 - 40) in cold water, peeled, deveined and steamed until cooked. Then plunged them into ice water. You know the job is well done when they squeak against your teeth when you bite into them. Good cocktail sauce depends on a hot horseradish. Without that, you are doomed. You want to add just enough to threaten, but not frighten, to ketchup with a bit of lemon juice and a dash or two of Lea & Perrins, mix and chill. Here, I served with bruschetta and fresh corn on the cob. I include what I hope is a corn money shot  out of respect (and sympathy) for the corn deprived (demiglace).

HC

IMG_1543.JPGIMG_1535.JPGIMG_1537.JPGIMG_1553.JPGIMG_1554.JPG

  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, rarerollingobject said:

 

In my spare time - I work. All I do is work. When I'm not at work, I'm still working anyway. And I work in child protection, so I like finicky cooking projects to take my mind to a completely different place for a few hours. :)

 

But on a happier note: prawn rolls. Steamed prawns, chopped and mixed with (too much) mayo, celery, spring onions, lemon zest and celery salt and piled into a buttery brioche roll, brushed in more butter and toasted in a pan. And topped with some of the delicate inner-most celery leaves I love so much.

 

Now, I realize lobster rolls are a dime a dozen to much of America but they're not really a thing in Australia at all, so this was a real treat. :) 

 

13682397_10154377398339122_1036713205_o.jpg

 

Bless you.  That is one stressful job.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Meatloaf in the smoker...

beef456_zpsfpijb4y5.jpg

Got a later start than intended, gonna be a late dinner.

  • Like 16

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tonight we had Japanese pork curry over rice.  I have never made this before and if fact, only heard about it recently.  Never know there was such a thing.   Given that I was in the privacy of my own home, I licked the plate clean.  This was some good.

20160731_200719.jpg

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...