• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Part of the Pig here?

Paul Bacino

Here is the Dish:

Cochinita Pibil - 

Braised Spiced Pork Shanks ? Braised w/ red onions

basted with chili Ancho paste.

What cut of THE porker is  this harvested from..  Cant be a rear Shank?  Where does it come from?   what pig size ?  What would I ask for to buy it.. its a perfect serving size.. for me

23599801999_be7db6d54b_k.jpg

COCH
braises

Its good to have Morels

what did the raw meat and package look like ?

here is a pic of 'pork ribs '

Rib.jpg.bbc90458f368edeeec370138f91389cc

it looks a bit like your bone

but I can't say if the flanged area connected to the sternum, or the vertebral area in the back

baby backs are that portion of the full piggy rib  cage

so who knows ?

Id like to hear more about the packaging.

shin meat would have the tibia, might be called for in Osso Boco

but might have more than one muscle group around that bone

looking at that bone again, its straight, not bowed

so maybe indeed its a tibia

Edited by rotuts (log)

Apparently chocineta refers to baby pig - though apparently it can be made with just about any pork. I'm rethinking my fibula above after looking more carefully at some pictures online - might actually be tibia with attachment point of the fibula closest to the pen. Can you take a picture of the other side of the bone?

5 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Apparently chocineta refers to baby pig - though apparently it can be made with just about any pork. I'm rethinking my fibula above after looking more carefully at some pictures online - might actually be tibia with attachment point of the fibula closest to the pen. Can you take a picture of the other side of the bone?

That is all I got..  It was like the best meat Lolipop..  with the dish you got  #3 of those things

Its good to have Morels

Among the large Hispanic population here "Pibil" traditionally refers to the pork shoulder. Looks to me like the top bone of the front leg.

To be fair though pibil might be used casually to refer to any part of or the whole pig.

Edited by daveb (log)