• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

salt pigs

shar999

Every salt pig in the world comes with its own band of hidden elves. They live under the cover and are invisible, of course, as all good elves are. At night, they come out and slide grains of rice (where do they get the grains of rice? Why they just do a little rice dance, of course, and a little pile appears in the circle before them!) into the salt pig. The pig is happy, for he likes rice. The salt is happy, for it gets to dry out a bit, shedding all that dampness into the rice. The rice is happy because it is all dried out and needs a bit of softening.

When morning comes, at the break of dawn, the rice disappears, the elves go back to their hiding places, and the salt is just salt, looking for all the world like a regular thing.

I'm surprised nobody else knew this.

• Haha 1

I wonder if it's okay to keep Kosher Salt in a Salt Pig?

SB  :blink:

Sure, just be sure to change its name to "salt zebra" or something like that -- then, you can use it for koshering if you've a mind to.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Sure, just be sure to change its name to "salt zebra" or something like that -- then, you can use it for koshering if you've a mind to.

Jmahl

Not quite the same thing ...., but

I wonder if unglazed ceramic shakers would keep salt from clumping, or does the wide opening for air circulation also have something to do with it?

SB :hmmm:

I do not live in a humid area but I do have friends that do, including several that live on boats in marinas from Oxnard to Newport Beach.

One uses salt shakers that include a little perforated glass container that holds a material that absorbs moisture and turns pink as it becomes "saturated" and then is baked in the oven until the material returns to blue. I think she got them at a store that sells marine products.

If this sounds familiar to some of you, at one time you could buy cookie/biscuit tins that had lids with a glass handle that was exactly the same. (I have several and they work nicely.)

However, you can also find the little plastic containers in vitamin bottles and other over-the-counter and prescription medications. I save these because they do keep moisture away from the contents.

The most common types are cylinders, about 1/2 inch in diameter and the same length, however you can also find ones that are longer, some are in soft little envelopes made from a material that doesn't tear and is resistant to the abrasion of the salt - one is called Tyvec, another is Duralon and they are safe to use with food.

Do not use the larger ones that are packed with electronic products from China, Southeast Asia or Korea. They are not food-safe.

When I was a child, in western Kentucky, living very near the Ohio river, every saltshaker in the house included some white rice, which served the same purpose, that is, to absorb moisture and keep the salt from clumping.

In the kitchen, they used large, open salt boxes, glass or ceramic and one always sat on a thin brick at one end of the hugh wood/coal stove. The heat kept the salt dry. There was one on each of the two Estate ranges. There were in the center of the big kitchen table where most of the baking prep was done and I think the turnover there was too rapid for the salt to become clumped. I really can't recall a salt-shaker per se in the kitchen. The cook and her help used their fingers - who knew, they were many decades ahead of the trend.

In the springhouse, where milk was processed and butter and cheese was made, (and it was damp because of the cistern in the room that was where the stuff was kept cool) the salt was in a large unglazed crock (made by Bauer when they were still in Paducah) and I think the unglazed pottery drew off any moisture.

I searched via Google and found someone has patented a device for this purpose.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

By the way, a few months ago I bought one of these Wet Sea Salt grinders and would like to report that it works very well. In fact I have ordered two more - just in case they discontinue it.

It is made by Peugeot and is carried by Fantes, Sur La Table, etc., but this site sells it for a couple of dollars less and I buy quite a bit from this vendor.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I do not live in a humid area but I do have friends that do, including several that live on boats in marinas from Oxnard to Newport Beach. 

One uses salt shakers that include a little perforated glass container that holds a material that absorbs moisture and turns pink as it becomes "saturated" and then is baked in the oven until the material returns to blue.

It's an anhydrous salt. Probably contains copper.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Jmahl

Not quite the same thing ...., but

I wonder if unglazed ceramic shakers would keep salt from clumping, or does the wide opening for air circulation also have something to do with it?

SB :hmmm:

I, of course, ment the salt.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

• 16 years later...

This is mine.

71lxDo7eTYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Not a salt 'pig' but with its lid it saves me having to clean up the salt spilled wen I knock over the container.

These comes in sets of various sizes, often the lids are sold separately.

Useful for many things.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, KennethT said:

Have you checked the bedroom?

Of course.

Salt lives in the bedroom.  By daylight I was able to find the Diamond Crystal box a few moments ago.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou