• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Salt?

lindag

Ha!  Will ask Aussie neice when she returns to kitchen. When I saw the title my head went to chicken pwder which I use like salt but this sounds more "chicken" than assorted flavorings.

• Like 1

It is apparently available in the US

Perhaps because wandering Aussies tend to lament the lack of their home-grown flavours when overseas, chicken salt is now available in America. Amazon sells a couple of versions, one made in Australia and the other, Jada, carrying the words “An Australian tradition” on its packaging

https://australianfoodtimeline.com.au/chicken-salt/

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Sydney born and raised neice says "oh yes - standard question with fries /chips- do you want chicken salt". She thinks it would be much loved here. She thought it had British origins.

• Like 1

It is Australian. There is some debate on whether it is supposed to contain chicken bullion or not - like pumpkin spice doesn't contain pumpkin. It's basically just one type of seasoned salt. 

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

23 minutes ago, haresfur said:

It is Australian. There is some debate on whether it is supposed to contain chicken bullion or not - like pumpkin spice doesn't contain pumpkin. It's basically just one type of seasoned salt. 

No clue on the generic one but the link OP provided - that stuff uses actual chicken. But another take https://www.sfgate.com/shopping/article/What-is-chicken-salt-17268976.php  A seasoed salt that can be vegan...  Hhmm where is my Lawry's season salt? Or my cannister of Tony Chachere's The options of these seasoning salts is vast and the prices often very reasonable.

• Like 1

I've made a excellent (and very Cheffy) recipe from Chef Thomas Lim then of Dudley's in NY (originally published in the much missed by me Lucky Peach). No link for it so I won't post but they use chicken skin and stock in the recipe. 

• Like 1

It's basically a seasoned salt product that is most often used on roast chicken and fried potatoes (think cajun fry seasoning in the USA). Here's a quick "recipe" by one of the alleged inventors of the product. The ingredients he gives are "Salt, msg, paprika, chicken flavoring, onion salt, celery powder, rice flour (as an anti-caking agent), and garlic powder."

I also watched a close to useless VICE video touring the Mitani brand chicken salt factory. The only ingredients that are specifically mentioned "on the record" are salt, rice flour, onion, garlic, and paprika. Plus "secret herbs and spices." The official ingredient list on the label is: "Sea Salt (81%), Rice Flour, Spices, Vegetable Powders (Onion, Garlic), Natural Flavour, Yeast Extract, Anticaking Agent (551)."

Edited by btbyrd (log)