• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salt Pork

lindag

While it once was in just about every meat case, now it seems to have disappeared.

I have a few of my older recipes that use this but I can't find it these days.

Is it just here?  the rime of year?  

I Googlod for a substitute and found only Pancetta that might work.

I'm in Virginia, but I'm still finding plenty of it - usually near the meat section in a display with all kinds of shrink wrapped smoked/salted pork products - country ham slices, salt pork, ham bones, bits and pieces for beans/soup.  Not refrigerated.  I saw that it was available on Instacart, if you have that available.  If you have any European markets near you, you might check with them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/28/2023 at 2:08 PM, lindag said:

now it seems to have disappeared.

I've never been able to find it here so I always used to make my own. This is a pretty good recipe and close to what I used to do.

I bought the fattiest piece of pork belly that I could find. The most important thing to remember is that you can't use any iodized salt. It says that it will keep a long time in the refrigerator but I always froze mine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1