• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 6)

Anna N

Eataly Steak:

.93 lbs, dry aged, boneless NY Strip:

17218378766_9042faccaf_z.jpg

two minutes on each side before the butter:

17056829110_911fa6a20d_z.jpg

toss in the oven:

17056604858_2c1c8bc92f_z.jpg

16621865824_f70a8ee8cb_z.jpg

Plated:

Green sauce and hot buttered dryaged juice: A radicchio treviso and frisee salad (a little bacon).  The radicchio is so expensive, it was like 11 dollars for two heads.

17218386126_eaf2d3e10b_z.jpg

16621931344_6277e20f58_z.jpg

ok, now i am done! 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 10

BK, thanks for all of the pics!  You're one busy guy (NINE miles??? You ran NINE miles??? I couldn't do that to save my life lol)  All of the food looked so good.  Your fresh pasta and the gnocchi.  Ohhhhh, I want some.

BonVivant,  lovely pictures as always.  Love all the different kinds of mushrooms.

Gizzards (done in the Instant Pot) and fries with broccoli salad.

PB170916.JPG

PB170917.JPG

• Like 12

WOW! Very ordinary dinners compared to what is posted here!

DSC00405.jpg

A Marcella Hazan night: thin cut beef steaks (strip steak) with tomatoes, olives, onions and garlic. with pasta with garlic and olive oil. And a salad.

DSC00401.jpg

Last night: chicken breast fillets with 3 kinds of peppers and cream, with rice (with some of the peppers and cream on top. And, of course, a salad.

• Like 8

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Pork spare ribs congee.

DSCN7225b_800.jpg

Peanut oil, garlic, ginger, short-cut pork spare ribs, "Taiwan flavor" Fukien-type preserved shredded mustard (台灣風味 福建 梅菜筍) (this one) rinsed off before use, sliced fresh Chinese mushrooms, water, simmer; long-grain rice, simmer; cut-up abura age, simmer till done. Eaten w/ julienned ginger & chopped scallions (plus some white pepper after the pic was taken).

Baby kai-lan stir-fried w/ garlic & oil, salt.

DSCN7223a_600.jpg

Stuff for the congee.

DSCN7214a_600.jpg

• Like 7

Recent dinners.

Z6eD53a.jpg

TwTilxg.jpg

wWglYRI.jpg

fylPJEJ.jpg

Mushrooms

He9R7cz.jpg

a7TJSHj.jpg

-----------------

Miso sauce has sherry, sugar and sesame oil.

7chlo4s.jpg

doAMfOq.jpg

-------------------

My new favourite mushroom

Vr9llOa.jpg

0DVUPlY.jpg

Spätzle

GeTqdAt.jpg

Is the nori wrapped cod cooked?  And if so, how, please.  I had poached (sous vide) cod last night and I'd forgotten how wonderful cod can be.

I'm now out of cod but at least I have nori.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Is the nori wrapped cod cooked?  And if so, how, please.  I had poached (sous vide) cod last night and I'd forgotten how wonderful cod can be.

I'm now out of cod but at least I have nori.

First sheet to hold the shape of the cod whilst steaming (takes no time, watch it like a hawk or it'll be overcooked). Second sheet when fish has cooled enough to handle. I do it this way to prevent stickiness of cooked nori and for the photos later.

---------------------------------------------

Shelby, thank you kindly!

First sheet to hold the shape of the cod whilst steaming (takes no time, watch it like a hawk or it'll be overcooked). Second sheet when fish has cooled enough to handle. I do it this way to prevent stickiness of cooked nori and for the photos later.

---------------------------------------------

Shelby, thank you kindly!

Thanks!  Could the cod be wrapped in nori and cooked sous vide do you think?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

No photos for either, but night before last, Day 3 of the pot roast, reincarnated as vegetable beef soup, possibly the best I have ever made. Last night, shrimp and grits per the recipe from Mr. B's Bistro in New Orleans. Bacon didn't get crisp enough, because I had no cheap, thin bacon and had to use the thick cut. I par-cooked it first, but it still didn't crisp by the time the shrimp got done.

Good, anyway.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

White wine, paprika, garlic and salt.  No herbs and I didn't have any. . It was not marinated that long on purpose but, i just couldn't fit it in.. I have a very busy eating schedule.  

Tossed the rabbit on the grill:

17112522818_777f38dc47_z.jpg

Served with scallions and bacon in a cream sauce.  I shot of whiskey, a shot of cream, salt, pepper, sugar and shot of lemon.  

16677823264_9a67fcf410_z.jpg

It was fantastic, really.. So damn good.. Served with roasted radishes as well. 

17300299005_4cd70bb99f_z.jpg

Just curious as to how long it took the rabbit to cook on the grill.  I was thinking of preparing one then up came your photo.  What temperature does one cook a rabbit to?  All you meals look amazing.  Cheers and thank you so much for sharing them with us!

Hey thanks so much. I firstly had the thing marinating for three to 4 days which I think is kind of important for rabbit as it can dry out. This was kind of an accident as I had just simply purchased too much food And then life got in the way. Each grill is different and this indoor guy is hard to control as its a gas grill with not much control and varying hot spots. So there is a lot of baby sitting. But ideally, I would grill a rabbit on a medium hot charcoal grill that would let smoke impart some flavor. i buy my rabbit from this awesome Portiguese butcher that buys beautiful rabbits from this reputable farm. I also like to give this useful advice that the food is done when you want to eat it. My strongest cooking skill is grilling or cooking meat. So I have a good sense of touch and instinct I guess.

But you want it to be juicy and just cooked so it's right around where the meat is slightly less cooked than your average organic chicken. A little pink, but definitely cooked through. If I had to guess I would say 140?

• Like 1

Thanks!  Could the cod be wrapped in nori and cooked sous vide do you think?

Actually, I have no idea how that would work. Biggest problem is the flaking and not holding its shape. Hope someone who has experimented with SV fish could help out.

BKEats and cooks like a SOB! What a bunch of good looking dishes.  It would be hard to pick a favorite from that diverse line-up.  Nice to see family and friends enjoying the bounty.  BonVivant kudos also on the range of dishes and immaculate presentations.  huiray is another member that keeps me googling ingredients in many dishes that are definitely outside my food orbit.  It's amazing to see the diverse meals served up by members of the egullet community and it certainly keeps me inspired.

I made a batch of gnocchi the other night in preparation for Thanksgiving using a recipe by Jodi Adams. I cooked a few testers and served them with  a lamb burger dusted with kofte spice blend from World Spice.  The gnocchi may have turned out looking a little homely but they were tender and tasted great. The burger rocked too. 

rs2P1040489.jpg

• Like 9

Very late night/early morning meal – more of the pork spare ribs congee, from here.  

Added in a raw farm-fresh egg, dressed w. scallions, deep-fried shallots, julienned ginger, ground white pepper.

Plus yu choy sum blanched in simmering lightly oiled water, dressed w/ oyster sauce & black pepper.

DSCN7229a_800.jpg

ETA: added in the link.

The raw egg adds extra smoothness/slipperiness (Cantonese "waat6", 滑) and is simply mixed/folded in.

DSCN7233b_800.jpg

"Waat6 daan2" (滑蛋) is a descriptor for various Chinese dishes (Cantonese, particularly) where an egg or two is broken into the dish just at the end and gently folded into the still-hot dish.  At other times it is added (beaten up or not) a little earlier and cooked just through as part of the composition of the dish. An example of a classic dish of the former sort is 滑蛋牛肉炒河 (slippery egg beef stir-fried wide rice noodles (hor (fun)); a.k.a. 滑蛋牛肉河粉 (slippery egg beef hor fun) and synonyms.

--------------------------------------------------

No-cooking meal.

Miscellaneous stuff.

DSCN7240a_800.jpg

Pig & Fig terrineProsciutto Rossa, chiffonaded Taiwan bok choy inner leaves dressed w/ Maussanes EV olive oil (fruité noir) + 10-year balsamic (this one) + Maldon salt + black pepper, and scallions.

Cheese plate.

DSCN7243b_800.jpg

Cheeses, L-R: Everton, Raclette, Nickajack, Adelegger.  Celery, mini croccantini.  I like the Nickajack the best in this grouping.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 11

Hey thanks so much. I firstly had the thing marinating for three to 4 days which I think is kind of important for rabbit as it can dry out. This was kind of an accident as I had just simply purchased too much food And then life got in the way. Each grill is different and this indoor guy is hard to control as its a gas grill with not much control and varying hot spots. So there is a lot of baby sitting. But ideally, I would grill a rabbit on a medium hot charcoal grill that would let smoke impart some flavor. i buy my rabbit from this awesome Portiguese butcher that buys beautiful rabbits from this reputable farm. I also like to give this useful advice that the food is done when you want to eat it. My strongest cooking skill is grilling or cooking meat. So I have a good sense of touch and instinct I guess.

But you want it to be juicy and just cooked so it's right around where the meat is slightly less cooked than your average organic chicken. A little pink, but definitely cooked through. If I had to guess I would say 140?

Thanks for the great description.  Sadly I only have access to frozen rabbits, well, unless we start a farm....humm may not be such a bad idea once our dog has gone to doggie heaven.  I am going to give it a try when the weather isn't so unseasonable and I can baby sit the rabbit.  

I think it was on Mind of a Chef a couple of weeks ago they did a whole rabbit on a spit.  Tied on like a chicken and not spatchcocked like the one you did. 

DSC00409.jpg

Dinner tonight: Pork marinated overnight with garlic, cayenne and black pepper, sautéed, cooked with rice with saffron, thyme and capers; peas and roasted red peppers added at the end. I think it needed either more saffron or less cayenne. With sautéed green beans with garlic, thyme and pepper butter and lemon. 

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 8

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina