• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 6)

Anna N

One step forward, two steps back.

I enjoy my lamb chops well seared, that is to say almost blackened on the outside, which until now has meant well done meat.  To my taste this is not a bad thing, even if not ideal.

Tonight, over medium heat, I got the outside sufficiently seared, leaving the inside rare.  I was quite pleased with the result.  The downside were the 30 second haricots vert.  For some reason the pressure cooker valve failed to close.  I had the good sense to pull the pan eventually.  The insipid gray green beans were not totally over done, fortunately,  But the pressure cooker inside was charred and blackened.

Not to worry, this is Fissler, not some third world pot.  It cleaned right up.  However I am concerned I may have damaged something.  The gasket is way over due for replacement.  I use my pressure cookers a lot.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Pizza last night.  Made a Biga the night before and mix up a batch bread dough in the morning before leaving for work. 

Two pizzas.

Greek%20Pizza%20November%2022nd%2C%20201

Greek for my son.  

Greek%20Pizza%20November%2022nd%2C%20201

Topped with potatoes, black olives and feta.

Sausage%20and%20Mushroom%20Pizza%20Novem

And one for Moe and I to share

Sausage%20and%20Mushroom%20Pizza%20Novem

With Italian Sausage and mushrooms.

• Like 20

Scuba......love those nice thick potato slices. Probably kinda like a baked potato in the middle being so thick but with the nice crust, on two sides no less! And the tomato jam was a wonderful addition.

Thanks!

Was just trying to use stuff I had but sweet potatoes were on sale that day and I had a hankering for collards, I love them. The tomato jam was from a week or so ago when I thought it would be great on a burger which it was. I woke with visions of oxtail possibilities. I purchased them last week after seeing some nice big tail at Walmart [emoji15] of all places and stuck them in the SV bath. The evolution of the dish

Dinners this week need to be really easy as I am getting ready to go to our daughter's in Massachusetts for the holiday. 

DSC00412.jpg

Sunday night: grilled kielbasa, potato salad and roasted broccoli.

DSC00419.jpg

Tonight - a really basic beef stew (but good!) with a not-pictured salad and bread.

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 12

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Yesterday was my husband's birthday.  I made roasted racks of lamb, wild mushroom risotto, chicken with a mushroom-wine sauce for the non-lamb eaters, roasted broccoli, sautéed potatoes for the people who want starch and won't eat mushrooms, and whiskey-glazed carrots.  No pictures, I have not figured out how to easily do photos with a big multi-generational group around.  

Monday night I wanted to use up the leftovers from the weekend dinners plus there is Monday night football, so sandwiches seemed appropriate.  Here is a lamb sandwich with arugula, peppers, onions, and mushrooms, grainy mustard and provolone cheese.  

lamb sandwich.jpg

Similar sandwich but with chicken sausage for me (I don't eat red meat)

sausage sub.jpg
Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 19

Asparagus hollandaise.  Thick rib eye sous vide 57 deg C for two hours, chilled in an ice bath, dried and salted for about two hours at room temperature on a rack.  Seared briefly in a very hot pan in grapeseed oil.  Baguette with Boursin.

Possibly the best steak I have cooked, as to technique, though it was only choice.

After the steak was cleared away, the bread and wine were returned with an organic apple (Honeycrisp) and a  beautiful two pound brick of well aged Cabot Vermont cheddar.

• Like 9

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Asparagus hollandaise.  Thick rib eye sous vide 57 deg C for two hours, chilled in an ice bath, dried and salted for about two hours at room temperature on a rack.  Seared briefly in a very hot pan in grapeseed oil.  Baguette with Boursin.

Possibly the best steak I have cooked, as to technique, though it was only choice.

After the steak was cleared away, the bread and wine were returned with an organic apple (Honeycrisp) and a  beautiful two pound brick of well aged Cabot Vermont cheddar.

Sounds great JNV!  BTW Steak sliced thin on a slice of baguette schmeared with Boursin...topped with a dab of something a little sweet eg fig jam  is a favorite finger food.

Tangy meat sauce with pasta.

DSCN7264b_800.jpg

DSCN7265a_800.jpg

I've made this sauce  off-and-on over several decades. This time I used pork mince rather than beef mince.

Coarse brunoise of small sweet yellow onions, rice bran oil, medium heat, onions softened & lightly browned. Pork mince added, stirred around, clumps broken up somewhat. Generous tomato ketchup (yes, ketchup) [Heinz, "Simply Heinz"] squeezed in, stirred around on medium heat, a bit of browning of edges allowed. Canned peeled whole plum tomatoes (this time I used SMT brand, San MericanTM tomatoes, heh.) with juices added, tomatoes chopped into quarters with the spatula, mixture stirred around. A small handful of whole cloves and a half of a hefty stick of cassia bark added in, mixture simmered on. A decent amount of good rice vinegar added, plus a good shot of hon-mirin (rather than the rock sugar or palm sugar I use more frequently) and a couple shots of double fermented soy sauce [LKK]. Everything was stirred around and then simmered (covered) till the oil "broke" (more like separated at the top) (like with many curries) (this is the minimum "doneness" I seek) plus a while more till I was satisfied. :-) Eaten w/ linguine [Rustichella d'Abruzzo] as the delivery system. ;-)

Plus some stir-fried wong nga pak (Napa cabbage).

DSCN7263a_600.jpg

• Like 10

After a 30 hour day of travel, i arrived home around 8 pm last night.. I was trying to make it to 12 am last night so I could sleep a few hours and make it to the office early this morning.. 

i was craving cheese and wine.  Headed over to my place around the corned and ordered  A bottle of our Orange Wine and a baked Epoisse w/ cornichon and bread..  We started baking cheese for the winter.. I love the idea of baking cheese right in the box

This hit the spot. 

22909261469_6404d67738_z.jpg

• Like 11

attachicon.gifDSCN7265a_800.jpg

I've made this sauce  off-and-on over several decades. This time I used pork mince rather than beef mince.

Coarse brunoise of small sweet yellow onions, rice bran oil, medium heat, onions softened & lightly browned. Pork mince added, stirred around, clumps broken up somewhat. Generous tomato ketchup (yes, ketchup) [Heinz, "Simply Heinz"] squeezed in, stirred around on medium heat, a bit of browning of edges allowed. Canned peeled whole plum tomatoes (this time I used SMT brand, San MericanTM tomatoes, heh.) with juices added, tomatoes chopped into quarters with the spatula, mixture stirred around. A small handful of whole cloves and a half of a hefty stick of cassia bark added in, mixture simmered on. A decent amount of good rice vinegar added, plus a good shot of hon-mirin (rather than the rock sugar or palm sugar I use more frequently) and a couple shots of double fermented soy sauce [LKK]. Everything was stirred around and then simmered (covered) till the oil "broke" (more like separated at the top) (like with many curries) (this is the minimum "doneness" I seek) plus a while more till I was satisfied. :-) Eaten w/ linguine [Rustichella d'Abruzzo] as the delivery system. ;-)

What a fascinating flavor profile! I think I have to try this. After Thanksgiving.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

attachicon.gifDSCN7264b_800.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN7265a_800.jpg

Oops, plus some smashed garlic added in halfway through light browning of the onions.

• Like 1

image.jpeg

Roasted a small chicken tonight

image.jpeg

And served it with a butternut squash purée seasoned with ras el hanout. Simple but good.

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The poor guy didn't have wings ? ;-)

He did indeed have wings but they are small and don't do much for me when roasted. I chopped them off and threw them into the stock-making bag.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Crazy, we are a foursome now, baby Jax no longer wants to eat just pureed vegetables.. He was rejecting food but, we could tell he was hungry.. he ate a quarter of a chop...Mother inlaw spent the week at my house while I was in China. Which meant, the place is packed with food.. She is a COSCO shopper and brought over packs of porkchops.. I have to say, they are nice looking chops... 

22674355503_ce1ebeb693_z.jpg

Took some garlic anchoy and olive oil and made a paste to marinate.  With the leftover paste in the mortar, i made a compound butter.. which i placed over the chops while they cooled. Orange was the only citrus in the house.. it was good. 

22674153853_532a3e7269_z.jpg

Roasted brussel sprouts and a bag of salad that we doctored up

23301304835_d613bdd1bc_z.jpg

a little cheese for dessert

22674101453_65c9840f64_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 14