• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 5)

Jon Savage

Shelby, what a lot of work boning out those doves.  Your gumbo looks wonderful.....now I too have a hankering for gumbo.  Not for a week though.  My brother-in-law is arriving today and he can't tolerate spicy food.   :angry:

So tonight we have Les Halles Daube Provencale with lamb shoulder.  That should be bland enough.  He doesn't drink either so I will have to burn of as much of wine alcohol as possible.  More wine for us :raz:

• Like 4

did your Muscadet come from TJ ?

as short story:

I grew up in CA

I visited both my Mother and Father when ever I could.  TJ was just down the street.

at some point I was able to spend much more time w my fatther.

Tj's then had two Muscadet 's

a white plainer label for  2.79  and a more gold label for 3.29

both dry and delicious cold

w seafood.

I can't tell you how many cases of each I had and slowly drank w my father.

he had a thimble full, so more for me !

• Like 1

Where to begin?  Tonight was an experiment, and I confess for some reason I am seeing double.  I wanted to test something.  The only cooking I did was a baguette.  Quite a nice baguette.  I paired this with figs and with goat, sheep, and cow cheeses.  The overwhelming success was goat.  That and MR. MR ad libitum.

I own three iSi pressure vessels but one leaks.  Two do not.  A liter is a liter.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• Coho salmon – dressed/briefly marinated w/ rice bran oil, sea salt, jozo mirin, juice of half a lemon, ground black pepper; then simply steamed for about 4 minutes or so, just barely cooked. :-) 

• White asparagus, steamed in the juices from the steaming of the salmon (put in halfway through; salmon removed when judged just done to a warm plate; steaming of the asparagus continued for a couple minutes more).

• Baby Red Gold potatoes, scrubbed & simply simmered in salted water, drained & tossed w/ Arbosana EV olive oil & chopped parsley.

DSCN6645c_800.jpg

DSCN6649c_800.jpg

• Like 4

Where to begin?  Tonight was an experiment, and I confess for some reason I am seeing double.  I wanted to test something.  The only cooking I did was a baguette.  Quite a nice baguette.  I paired this with figs and with goat, sheep, and cow cheeses.  The overwhelming success was goat.  That and MR. MR ad libitum.

I own three iSi pressure vessels but one leaks.  Two do not.  A liter is a liter.

When in doubt, always go for goat. Do you remember what kind of cheese it was?

When in doubt, always go for goat. Do you remember what kind of cheese it was?

Oh...I forgot I'd posted that.  It was Cypress Grove Humboldt Fog.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

My lord, that sauce looks so rich and sticky meaty if you know what I mean.

Thanks.  Very easy, but the process takes two days.  Brown the lamb shanks in olive oil in a heavy pot on the stove.  Remove the lamb, then add carrots, celery, onion, garlic, (all rough chopped), bay leaves, black peppercorns, juniper berries.  More olive oil and brown the vegetables.  Then I sprinkle in some flour.  (Which helps thicken the sauce).  Then lots of red wine and some beef stock and a few dashes of kitchen bouqet.  Put the shanks back in, chuck the pot in the oven and about 4 hours at 300.

Then gently pull the shanks out.  Pour the sauce and vegetables through a strainer into a bowl.  Now chill overnight.  It will gel up and the fat will rise to the top.  On day two crack that fat shell and chuck the fat in the trash can.  Then heat the sauce/gravy up, add a knob of butter and whisk in some Wondra flour to thicken.  Oh, and this time I added a few drops of Worcestershire for flavor.  Delicious.

Wow  

Shelby

that looks like the finest pizza

even w/o pepperoni  Id inhale it.

do you top your pizza after its cooked ?

consider some Oregano , but it has to be Turkish  ( i.e. from Penzy's ) as all the others Ive tried when I ran out were

??????

and some nice EVOO.

pepper flakes individually administered are nice.

• Like 1

Wow  

Shelby

that looks like the finest pizza

even w/o pepperoni  Id inhale it.

do you top your pizza after its cooked ?

consider some Oregano , but it has to be Turkish  ( i.e. from Penzy's ) as all the others Ive tried when I ran out were

??????

and some nice EVOO.

pepper flakes individually administered are nice.

No, I heat my oven up for a loooong time with my pizza stone in it.  I spread sauce and put all toppings on the dough and pop it in.  

Pepperoni for you on the left pizza :)  Oregano would be a good touch.  Red pepper flakes are always available on the table while eating :)