• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savory Blueberry Ideas

liuzhou

My local supermarket has fresh blueberries. I'm planning a welcome dinner for my dear friend who will return to China after studying in Washington state for a year, and thought I'd like to incorporate them somehow.

But! Big but!

Neither of us are particularly into sweet dishes.

Anyone have any suggestions/ideas on blueberries in savoury dishes?

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

A couple of years ago I recall reading a Native American cookbook at work.  Maybe I can find it but it will take a couple days.

I suppose blueberry pancakes won't do?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

A couple of years ago I recall reading a Native American cookbook at work. Maybe I can find it but it will take a couple days.

I suppose blueberry pancakes won't do?

Pancakes not really what I had in mind.

If you find the book, I'd be delighted to hear about it. Take your time!

Thanks

Edited by liuzhou (log)

How about a pan sauce, maybe a gastrique maybe not, for a meat dish -like how sour cherries get used as a sauce for beef with a wine reduction in a fond-covered pan.

Yes, that's the sort of line I was thinking along. I was also thinking duck.

I've used unsweetened berries and bay leaf to make a sort of compote to serve with game, including duck. I don't have a hard and fast recipe, but just add a little gin, whisky, or rum to the pan to deglaze, bring down the temperature, if necessary add a little boiling water to cover the bay leaf I simmer in the now-deglazed pan for two or three minutes, reduce out any excess liquid, add the berries and a pinch of salt, and cook until they start to ooze juice (I don't like my berries very cooked). I sometimes add a pinch of cinnamon or a small clove. Sometimes (generally, with store-bought berries in the winter), a small amount of acid adds some dimension.

• Like 3

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

You could use it to cook pork chops with a pear sauce. Cook the pears cut in slices with butter deglazing with white wine, adjust seasoning and puree'.

Dust the pork chops with flour and shake the excess. Saute' in butter and deglaze with white wine, adjust seasoning. Add the blueberries  and cook for about 2'. Plate the chops. Crush about half of berries in the sauce and leave the other whole. Dress the chops with the sauce and serve with the puree'.

Instead of pork you could use quails, duck or other game meat.

• Like 3

I agree with Lisa - make a gastrique/sauce. I would use some kind of vinegar (in my world that would probably be a balsamic, perhaps a fig one) rather than wine though. The duck sounds delightful and I am sure it would go beautifully with a piquant blueberry sauce.

• Like 1

Count me in on the duck idea. Sounds GOOD.

YAY!!! I'm so glad your friend is coming home!!!

Not so glad as I am. I've missed her!

I've been planning this meal for nearly a year. I'm terrified!

But she will be forgiving if I screw up!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

Not so glad as I am. I've missed her!

I've been planning this meal for nearly a year. I'm terrified!

I know it's been a rough year for you.  I'm so glad she's back :)  And, she'll get to see your new place!

Don't worry, you're a great cook and you'll do fabulous.  Maybe you should skip putting some of that soy garlic out though....... :raz:

• Like 5

I like blueberry sauces with pork, but I think they would work great with duck also. 

I sauté some sliced onion in a pan, maybe add a bit of garlic. Add fresh blueberries and balsamic vinegar or port. I like it just like that, but nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon might work or a '5-spice' blend. Maybe some basil. 

Here are pics of this sauce with pork tenderloin over baby greens (mostly spinach, I think). I also added a few dried blueberries to this one after serving, as i just happened to have some around. I think I puréed this one with an immersion blender before plating. 

IMGP4435.JPG

IMGP4431.JPG

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 5

I like blueberry sauces with pork, but I think they would work great with duck also. 

I sauté some sliced onion in a pan, maybe add a bit of garlic. Add fresh blueberries and balsamic vinegar or port. I like it just like that, but nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon might work or a '5-spice' blend. Maybe some basil.

Ditto. I've made pork tenderloin with a sauce made, if memory serves, from butter, shallots, chicken stock reduction, port reduction, blueberries, and rosemary. Or something like that.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

FauxPas,

I don't know how that tastes, but it is certainly beautiful!

• Like 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

FauxPas,

I don't know how that tastes, but it is certainly beautiful!

Thanks so much, caroled! We like it enough that I have probably made it about half a dozen times over the past few years. It's a fairly easy item to prepare and to make variations on it. My husband liked fresh ground pepper on top, also. 

Here are pics of this sauce with pork tenderloin over baby greens (mostly spinach, I think). I also added a few dried blueberries to this one after serving, as i just happened to have some around. I think I puréed this one with an immersion blender before plating. 

Wow, Fauxpas! That is inspirational. Thanks! I plan trying both pork and duck to see which I prefer, then cooking the winner for my friend.

I made a really good sweet and sour sauce recently which used blueberry preserves.

I'm using fresh blueberries. I bought them this morning, but then got invited to dinner, so I'll be using them tomorrow for a trial run before the main event. 

blueberries.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

I made seared duck breast with kind of blueberry yakitori (or teriyaki?) sauce. So, it was sweet fruity Japanese tare sauce, which would be nice for duck.

Start with making the yakitori by mixing sake, mirin, Japanese soy sauce and brown sugar ... 

1/4 cup sake

1/4 cup mirin

1/2 cup Japanese soy sauce (I use Kikkoman)

1 tbsp brown sugar

Then add some blueberry jam.

Simmer it and adjust the taste freely to your liking.

I think here you can also use chopped fresh blueberry, loads of them :)

It was really nice with duck, the sauce was savory and sweet, but not too sweet, with blueberry taste!

Well, just an idea from me.

NOTE: Please report later what you did, and make some photos of the dish :)

Edited by Josh71 (log)

Do you have access to print or online magazines?  The current July/August Eating Well has a spread that includes a blueberry and lobster salad, grilled chicken with a blueberry lime salsa and grilled haloumi with a blueberry balsamic jam.

If not I might be able to pm anything that looks interesting to you.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites