• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savory Blueberry Ideas

liuzhou

Do you have access to print or online magazines?  The current July/August Eating Well has a spread that includes a blueberry and lobster salad, grilled chicken with a blueberry lime salsa and grilled haloumi with a blueberry balsamic jam.

If not I might be able to pm anything that looks interesting to you.

Yes, I can probably get to the online version. Thanks for that.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Last summer I picked up a jar of blueberry-onion compote from a vendor at a local farmers market.  It was delicious, with a bit of vinegar and some herbs, I think thyme and tarragon, that emphasized the savory. It was a great topping for grilled chicken, pork, and fish.  I have not tried to replicated it, but I don't think it would he hard. It's nice to have something that can be made ahead.

I recently had a corn-blueberry salsa, with red onion, cilantro, and habanero. Served with shrimp and scallops.

If you decide you want some type of dessert that isn't very sweet, I like to add blueberries to rice pudding or bread pudding.

TicTac, on 02 Aug 2015 - 9:34 PM, said:snapback.png

I made a really good sweet and sour sauce recently which used blueberry preserves.

I'm using fresh blueberries. I bought them this morning, but then got invited to dinner, so I'll be using them tomorrow for a trial run before the main event. 

blueberries.jpg

I see no problem with fresh (in fact all better); just a quick reduction with a touch of (preferably raw) sugar and use that for the sweet and sour sauce :)

Edited by TicTac (log)

As noted, I will be using fresh blueberries, not jam.

Photos will follow as usual. Thanks

I also said there: I think here you can also use chopped fresh blueberry, loads of them :)

It's just for flavoring the sauce with blueberry taste.

dbbs.jpg

Well, for what it's worth, here is my first attempt. Duck with blueberries. 

Clearly the presentation needs work, but it was just for me and the flavours were more important. The blueberry 'sauce' could be more saucy. It is just shallots softened in olive oil and the crushed blueberries, lemon zest, salt and pepper. I tasted it in the pan and it definitely didn't need any sugar. I had the balsamic vinegar ready, but felt it didn't need that either - probably a mistake. A little more piquancy would have helped.

Oh well. Back to the drawing board. Still got a couple of weeks to crack it.

(Served with duck fat fried new potatoes and almost raw asparagus.)

Thanks to every one for all the excellent suggestions.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

A few years ago, a friend gifted us with a jar of another friend's blueberry habanero bbq sauce. It was stupendous, especially on meat that had a bit of fat (i.e., not chicken breasts). However, if you're not in NE Ohio, it's probably unobtainable, and it was long ago enough that I can't remember a whole lot about the flavors and what else might have gone into it.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Pancakes not really what I had in mind.

If you find the book, I'd be delighted to hear about it. Take your time!

Thanks

I found it.  The complete title is Native Indian Cookbook Wild Game, Fish & Wild Edibles 340 Recipes from the Lovesick Lake Native Women's Association and Other Native Cooks.

The only purely savory blueberry recipe I saw was Blueberry Duck Roast.  Which sounds pretty good.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I found it.  The complete title is Native Indian Cookbook Wild Game, Fish & Wild Edibles 340 Recipes from the Lovesick Lake Native Women's Association and Other Native Cooks.

The only purely savory blueberry recipe I saw was Blueberry Duck Roast.  Which sounds pretty good.

Wow! The cookbook sounds fascinating. Snappy title.

Sadly I  don't think I can find it in China!

But glad to see they pair blueberries with duck, too.

pcs.jpg

And here is my second experimentation - basically the same dish, but this time with pork and rice. I added the balsamic to the sauce for this try along with a tiny amount of sugar. Better.

The pork was brined for about 4 hours, then pan fried until done, then rested for 15 minutes.

I've enjoyed both dishes, but think I'll go for the duck, but with the balsamic. Pork is ubiquitous here, so duck is a bit more interesting. But have to work on the plating

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2