• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 2)

daveb

I cook these   many at  a time  ( individually ) chill and freeze.

142 suits me fine.  4 hours or so , but if you learn how to scrape out the tendon ( s ) maybe even less time.

I season with various seasons    all have salt  and there is no brining at these timings

nice sliced thin for a chicken sandwich   and chunky for a chicken salad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

The best thing about chicken skin in the bag is that it will have  rendered  the fat and after drying will crisp up nicely.   I put skins between two sheets of parchment and sandwich it between two sheet pans before sliding it in the oven.  No mess and they come out flat and crisp.

That's interesting. I will have to try that.  I am a great fan of crispy chicken skin. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

25 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Brining may help flavor wise prior to SV if you find them utterly bland

I don't want to brine because my mother is on a low sodium diet, so I try to save the salt for where it is absolutely necessary.

(I'm still trying to work out how I will do Thanksgiving, my favorite turkey method calls for brining.)

Just now, scubadoo97 said:

Anna, I scrape them of any connective tissue so they are nearly pure skin before baking.  Because I can't see them between the sheet pans I have a tendency to over cook them if I'm not attentive enough to check on their progress. 

I can see how that might happen. xD  If I remove the skin prior to doing something else with the chicken then I do it low and slow on the stovetop in a cast iron skillet with some salt and so far I have managed not to burn it. But I did say so far.  

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

More corn on the cob tonight.  I sort of split the difference between MC's 60 deg C. and Anova's (what were they thinking?) 83 deg C.

70 deg C. for half an hour came out quite well.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@Doofa-- Below is the method some kind soul posted on eGullet (I failed to note the name, so my apologies; you, I hope, know who you are, because I don't!). Worked like a charm for me.

Roll the scallops in a couple of layers of plastic wrap (don't use the commercial PVC type that stinks). Cook at 50°C. Time varies by size of the scallops.

Chill in an ice water bath (still wrapped). this improves texture and keeps scallops from overcooking when you sear.

Dry them. Optionally, dust very lightly with a 1:1.5 baking soda/glucose mix to speed browning. Get a pan very hot. Right before searing dust scallops lightly in wondra flour (also optional). Browning should take 15 to 20 seconds per side.

Here's a good starting point for time:

1” diameter: 40 minutes

1.5” diameter: 80 minutes

2” diameter:  120 minutes

2.5” diameter: 40 minutes (don’t roll. ziploc bag with space between scallops)

Here's a more exact formula for the brine:

Water 100% 

ice 20%

salt 6% (will be 5% after ice melts)

sugar 4.2% (will be 3.5% after ice melts)

-disolve sugar and salt into room temperature water in a plastic container

-stir in ice and add scallops

-cover and hold in refrigerator for 30 minutes

-drain and replace brine with plain icewater

-soak for 10 minutes

The brining, obviously, happens before the wrapping and cooking. As I recall, it was in two separate posts, and I just copied and pasted into a word file.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 9/29/2016 at 10:27 AM, kayb said:

@Doofa-- Below is the method some kind soul posted on eGullet

That was no kind soul, that was me ;)

I'm glad that method's working out for you. It's an amalgam of techniques I've picked up along the way, with cooking times calculated by the SV Dash app. I haven't had a chance to try all the sizes, but it's been spot on for the couple that I've done.

Notes from the underbelly

I love my Anova circulator, I really do.  But they keep posting photos of sous vide dishes that are just not right.  Like this pork tenderloin.  It is rather pink, may be too pink for me.  I will eat medium pork but this looks a shade or two under that.  And what's with the schmatz on top of the first slice?  Looks like coagulated protein from the cooking juices.  I find photos on Chefsteps website much more appetizing.

image.jpg

2 minutes ago, chefmd said:

I love my Anova circulator, I really do.  But they keep posting photos of sous vide dishes that are just not right.  Like this pork tenderloin.  It is rather pink, may be too pink for me.  I will eat medium pork but this looks a shade or two under that.  And what's with the schmatz on top of the first slice?  Looks like coagulated protein from the cooking juices.  I find photos on Chefsteps website much more appetizing.

image.jpg

I have to concur on the doneness of the pork. A little pink is good but rare?  Nah.  

My 2004 eG Blog

On 10/4/2016 at 7:20 PM, paulraphael said:

That was no kind soul, that was me ;)

I'm glad that method's working out for you. It's an amalgam of techniques I've picked up along the way, with cooking times calculated by the SV Dash app. I haven't had a chance to try all the sizes, but it's been spot on for the couple that I've done.

Aha! Thanks! I am noting on that file that it came from you, so if I ever pass it on to someone else, I can attribute it. I cannot tell you how grateful I've been for those instructions!

Don't ask. Eat it.

Well, rare beef is fine ?  if you like rare beef.  its up to you.

rare pork is even better if you can get over the Piggy history of Trichinosis.

today's  commercial pork is bread lean.

w SV   130,1  for how many hours

and sliced thin by Some One Else

is a revelation.

Just  Saying

27 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Well, rare beef is fine ?  if you like rare beef.  its up to you.

rare pork is even better if you can get over the Piggy history of Trichinosis.

today's  commercial pork is bread lean.

w SV   130,1  for how many hours

and sliced thin by Some One Else

is a revelation.

Just  Saying

Long ago got over the trichinosis fear.  But pork to me is not at its best when too rare (for my taste). Right now I am craving some fatty pork ...  Belly or shoulder. Tenderloin is good but almost like a different food group. Same with loin. 

L

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

Long ago got over the trichinosis fear.  But pork to me is not at its best when too rare (for my taste). Right now I am craving some fatty pork ...  Belly or shoulder. Tenderloin is good but almost like a different food group. Same with loin. 

L

I enjoyed some fatty pork last night -- no, alas, not Berkshire -- nonetheless cost effective and quite tasty.  I used to require my pork hard and white but these days I go for pink and juicy.  Though certainly not rare.

The quality of locally available supermarket pork (i.e. from Shoprite) has improved markedly in the last year or two.  Either that, or I am getting old.

That said, sous vide is not my choice for pork.  At least for most cuts that I eat.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

For me pork likes 140F.  All day, every day.  I've no fear of Trich but mouth feel/taste/texture is ideal at 140.  And across the dinner table is not the time to be telling guests that the pork is fine....

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 3:19 AM, rotuts said:

Double Blind  you night think differently

that being said

Pork Tatare  ?

Regular item on German dinner tables: Thickly sliced sourdough rye, buttered, spiced pork tartare ("Mett") and raw onions. Heaven ...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

taking a page out of  @mgaretz book : tri-Tips were on sale last week  3.99.  TT's are rare in my area of the country  very common in CA where I grew up.

the TT's on sale were sliced as " tips ' not roasts , but the butcher gladly trimmed some up for me right out of the CryoVac pouches.  Ive found when I ask

for ' roasts ' rather than cut up meat,  the butchers , at least at two markets I frequent , enjoy showing off their skills.  these were very nicely trimmed :

TT1.jpg

trimmed as i got them.  2 lbs each.   I left them in the butcher's paper in the coldest part of my refrigerator for 6 days and got the above.   I had 4 for a total of

8 lbs.  Idiot that I usually am , I should have gotten two more at the time :

TT2.jpg

each TT was cut into three pieces , and seasoned lightly with either Penzey's  ( original ) Chicago Steak Seasoning or Sauers Prime Rib Rub.  two of  my

favorite meat seasonings

I always have on hand.

so this was 12 packets in the SV'der  and i had room for 6 more , which would have been very little extra work

my goal was 12 H in the SV'der  an over night run.   so I bravely started out at 128 F for 10 , then went to 130 for two more.  no real reason for this.

I chill in a deep skink I have,  w cold tap water first   about 10 minutes x 2   water temp in my area now is 59 F.  in the winter it goes down to 43 or so.  this saves on ice.

TT3.jpg

then picked up a bag of ice at a near-by liquor store and changed the water to just cover w the bag of ice:

TT4.jpg

I let the packs sit in the ice bath until most of the ice was melted.  35 f thermapen'd after 45 min.   I froze all but two

TT5.jpg

Ill keep these in the coldest part of the refrigerator until tomorrow as tonight is not the best night of the year for dinner fiddling about.

Urchins Demanding Candy , and MC wanting to see what's all the Hub-Bub about

pics tomorrow of one of the above retherm'd and cut and tasted. 18 bags would have been better than 12.  lesson learned.

as you can see im a very big fan of Bulk Sous Vide.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

I think i'm going to have a major SV event this week. Need to clean some steaks out of my freezer to make room for the new beef coming in. I need to clean out the fridge freezer in the kitchen (there's unidentifiable stuff in there that's probably old enough to draw Social Security), and I'll cook about eight steaks and into the freezer they'll go. Most of what is left is stew meat, soup bones, three or four shank cuts (fancifully labeled osso buco) and ground beef. The ground beef will be stashed in an ice chest and transported to my daughters; they grill a lot of burgers and cook a lot of hamburger helper (Sigh. I tried to teach her. It didn't take.)

Must roast a chicken this week as well. Probably should roast two. I think I have five in there. And a few other odds and ends.

I need a bigger freezer.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

tri-Tips were on sale last week  3.99

I just came back from Smart & Final.  Tri-tip on sale for 2.39/lb.  Most of the packs were 20 lbs or close to that.  Way too much for me, but if I had guests on the way, I might be thinking tri-tip instead of turkey for Thanksgiving xD!