• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2015–2017)

rotuts

I'd say it's on the drier side of the rosé spectrum.  Not bone-dry, just enough sweetness to balance the acidity.  To my tastebuds, anyway. 

Edited to add:  It's the kind of rosé that would pair well with a roasted chicken or grilled sausages.  Maybe not so much with the most delicately prepared white fish.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

I might have to look for those cookies next time I'm around a TJ's. I love lime! Do these have any tartness to them, or are they just sweet sweet sweet?

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Sorry for not describing the cookies!   They are little shortbread nuggets coated in a layer of confectioner's sugar.  Given their small size, that's a lot of sugar for a small volume of cookie so they are quite sweet.  But that layer of sugar also has a good bit of tartness.  Not sure if that's just citric acid or if there are other "natural key lime flavors" in the sugar layer but the overall taste is sweet-sour, tempered by a bit of buttery cookie.  For me, the sweetness of these guys is sort of a good thing as it limits my consumption.  They are a nice sweet treat but I'm happy to stop after 2 or 3.  I've made some lemon-rosemary pressed cookies that are much less sweet but I could nibble away a whole plateful over the course of a few hours!

Also, an update on that TJ's pinot rosé.  I just made a TJ's run to restock and learned that it's no longer available for reorder so whatever is in your local stores is it.  I bought a case of it and then picked out a few bottles of other rosés to audition for my next  "house rosé." Sorry for recommending something that won't be available for long but such is the nature of Trader Joes! 

• Like 2

Im a fan of green chili.  hot.  tart. think Green tabasco sauce

this is new in my area :

TJ's Green.jpg

I love it.  good heat. Good Green flavor  like siracha but green

Ill use it in my next tortilla/chicken/green chili bake.

• Like 2

Brother gfweb seems to be on the fence re: TJ's.  He does have to drive to another state, DE I think. Here are some (bad) pics of a few isles to give one an idea.

this is with a fairly new iPodTouch. its difficult for me to use after a double of double espresso's in the AM. For volume purposes OK not individual items

Cheese :

Ch1.jpg

and

Ch2.jpg

Nuts

Nuts.jpg

and

Nuts 2.jpg

Chocolate : think 3 - 4 more frames like this one

Choc1.jpg

Cookies:

Cookies1.jpg

and

cokkies2.jpg

• Like 3

TJ's Baked Goods ?

TJ's baked.jpg

i love baked goods.  Im not that much of a baker, but back in the day 

I made Championship 4 star 'berry crips' etc ( mine were the best. )

Apple, etc .

i also made Pecan Sticky buns  etc.

has anyone tried the various TJ's baked goods ive pictured above ?

they look similar if not better than the various MegaLo marts in my area.

and are more or less 1/3 less $$. calories Im sure are high and similar.

again, Im fairly sure the iTouch pics might not ever get clearer than what you see above.

thanks for you input

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

again, one last pic for gfweb:

TJ's oil.jpg

most of these 'oils' involve the Olive.

there was a ref here i think in the past that suggested you

BOLO for refined Tunisian Motor Oil, exported via Italy.

the only baked good I buy somewhat regularly are the banana/choc chip protein muffins. Reasonable in calories (120) and gets me some protein for mid-morning snack. They are made with egg whites so they have that sort of spongy texture but I like the flavor. Plus they will keep for a week in the fridge.

Had tried brownie bites once and wasn't a fan. Don't recall why exactly...just not good enough to buy again.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Recall notice posted today - in my email:   Milk is undeclared ingredient - Dark Choc Honey Grahams

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My WineBuds at Tj's told me about two new red's  in the store.  they know what I like :

TJ Red 1.jpg

and

TJ Red @.jpg

no oak, dry enough, grape's the taste not strawberry, or other non-grape fruit to speak of. but fruity.

fruity when mentioned, to me means other fruit tastes that are not red grape

no benzene.

I enjoyed them both.  they are young so i drink them cool : 60 F or so.

I did not have them at the same time.    :blink:

but I think I liked the VINTJS a little better.

the David Frost is from S.A.

they were about the same price here  7 - 8 bucks

Im going to go back and get both again, and try them at the same time.

Ill pic the one i prefer and get a couple of cases.

• Like 3

In this post in the Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker topic, rotuts shows some TJ's South African Smoke seasoning blend. It's clear that he thinks the grinder is no good, but not whether he also thinks the blend itself is a bust.

My questions, for anyone who's tried this (rotuts, that includes you of course) are:

1. What is supposed to make this blend South African?

2. How does it taste, when you can get it out of the grinder?

An ingredient listing would be welcome.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

gfweb!  How can you not have made the jaunt to Gateway Plaza or whatever that shopping center in Devon/Wayne/whatever the intersection of 202 and 252 is?  It has to be closer to you in Cheso than me in Montco.  The TJ's is well worth a trip.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Im fairly sure gf is making plans to go

he might be looking into mighty fine Lunch opportune'eties on the way or just a bit out of the way

we so hope that he might post his results here

with of course the Lunch Menu

carefully .jpeg - 'd

In this post in the Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker topic, rotuts shows some TJ's South African Smoke seasoning blend. It's clear that he thinks the grinder is no good, but not whether he also thinks the blend itself is a bust.

My questions, for anyone who's tried this (rotuts, that includes you of course) are:

1. What is supposed to make this blend South African?

2. How does it taste, when you can get it out of the grinder?

An ingredient listing would be welcome.

Guessing that what makes it South African is that it's made in South Africa and its ingredient list is not terribly informative. Just taking the jar down and sniffing it set my salivary glands aquiver. It is really smoky.

image.jpg

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

""   but it mostly sucks. ""

so why did they go in this idiotic direction ?

how much money do the " Albrecht Discounts " really need

they own it. no discounts that i can see in that plastic junk that I can see.

Trader Joe's Brownie Crisp.  This is a new item advertised in the last Frequent Flyer.  Described as, "a rich brownie taste with a crisp cookie crunch."

TJbrowniecrisp.jpg

Note that the package states they are vegan and gluten free. I'm not an expert on the vegan/gluten free market but I'd say this product is for those people.

In my bag, there were an assortment of sizes, relatively more of the small crumbles and fewer of the full size pieces

browniecrisp.jpg

The bag is made of a material very similar to the cat treat packaging so every time I open it, I have 2 very expectant furry faces looking up at me.  You may note evidence of this above.  

The taste is OK.  There are "vegan chocolate chips and chunks."  I would crumble them up on some ice cream or try including them in some of my homemade popsicles :biggrin:, though if I was after a brownie with ice cream, I'd want something with some chew.  I wouldn't go out of my way for these unless I needed vegan/gluten free treats.  

• Like 4