• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin test kitchen

Anna N

image.jpg

The final loaves. The darker one went off to the hospital with Kerry.

As for the combi oven, the product is not bad the process is annoying as hell for this baker. Somehow I feel the control has been wrested from me. I want my bread to go on to a hot stone. I don't want a free-form loaf bent to meet the limited space in a tiny oven. I've not been won over on bread yet.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

your points are well taken for an experienced and semi-pro baker

I do mean that 'well'

but there are a few Dumb-xxs's like me that want to get back into baking,

and since well, we are DA's,

are looking for the 'proof' Fx as a helper

lets not go into the 'slashing '

:blink:

I do appreciate in a great way your efforts to help those of us  ( Me ) that are D.A. bakers.

many thanks.

• Like 3

The final loaves. The darker one went off to the hospital with Kerry.

As for the combi oven, the product is not bad the process is annoying as hell for this baker. Somehow I feel the control has been wrested from me. I want my bread to go on to a hot stone. I don't want a free-form loaf bent to meet the limited space in a tiny oven. I've not been won over on bread yet.

I think you referenced 4-hour baguette earlier -  does that mean that you basically follow Dan Leader's 4-hour Baguette recipe, by any chance? 

I share that D.A. baker classification with Rotuts, but I did use that recipe a few times in the Combo Oven and loved the results.  :smile:

Did you make just two baguettes? How large are they? I made 4 small ones, cooking two at a time. That way I didn't have to worry about them getting too close to the top element. All the same, I did occasionally put some tin foil on them toward the end of baking time if I thought they were browning a bit too fast. 

The resulting baguettes could be used for sandwiches if cut length-wise, else they were a nice size for bread and cheese, or for small toast rounds. 

And though I didn't try cooking that recipe in the standard oven, I did think the mini-baguettes had a lovely crust (from the steam at the start of the bread cycle?). I appreciated not having to try and create steam in a standard oven - the ice cubes in frying pans, etc all seems like a lot of bother to me. So I really appreciate having an oven that can do it for me! 

But you're much more experienced in bread-making and I'm sure you know what you like! 

Edited by FauxPas (log)

I think you referenced 4-hour baguette earlier -  does that mean that you basically follow Dan Leader's 4-hour Baguette recipe, by any chance? 

I share that D.A. baker classification with Rotuts, but I did use that recipe a few times in the Combo Oven and loved the results.  :smile:

Did you make just two baguettes? How large are they? I made 4 small ones, cooking two at a time. That way I didn't have to worry about them getting too close to the top element. All the same, I did occasionally put some tin foil on them toward the end of baking time if I thought they were browning a bit too fast. 

The resulting baguettes could be used for sandwiches if cut length-wise, else they were a nice size for bread and cheese, or for small toast rounds. 

And though I didn't try cooking that recipe in the standard oven, I did think the mini-baguettes had a lovely crust (from the steam at the start of the bread cycle?). I appreciated not having to try and create steam in a standard oven - the ice cubes in frying pans, etc all seems like a lot of bother to me. So I really appreciate having an oven that can do it for me! 

But you're much more experienced in bread-making and I'm sure you know what you like!

I no longer mess about with ice cubes or pans of water. I spritz my loaves before they go in the oven, spritz again at the two minute mark and if I'm really on the ball might spritz again in another minute. Mini baguettes are great but sometimes we want full size baguettes and the small ovens cannot accommodate them. Even full size home ovens are challenged with a "standard" baguette (26" long). It is Dan's recipe that I use and I made two batard shapes instead of baguettes. Each is about 12" long. AND THE CRUST IS ALREADY SOFT! Doesn't happen when I bake them in my ordinary oven with spritzed water.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

DSCN2878.jpg

On the way out of the ER today I happened to notice the strawberries in the memorial garden that was planted in honour of one of the clinic staff who died unexpectedly a couple of years ago.  I think I've told the story before.  

Had to grab a container to put them in - don't worry - never been used for anything but berries.  

• Like 6

Dinner tonight was from Jerusalem. We started with Fried Tomatoes with Garlic accompanied by the bread I made earlier:

image.jpg

image.jpg

And then we had Chicken with Caramelized Onion and Cardamon Rice.

The tomato dish was good and with late season tomatoes would have been outstanding.

The chicken dish was tasty but not transcendent. I think I under seasoned it for starters. Kerry remarked that she might have enjoyed it more with currants instead of barberries.

image.jpg

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

DSCN2882.jpg

Grand rounds won't be terribly grand this morning with only 4 of us there - but at least there will be current cream scones.  Thanks to tikidoc for the recipe.

The stove had to be replaced last summer - I was able to negotiate for convection (sadly not induction).  It's a GE - works quite well - but has the crappiest warming drawer/storage under the oven.  It has no handle to help open it and the enamelled front with what is supposed to be a finger grip - isn't.  It doesn't pull out evenly from both sides.  So this morning I managed to pull it off it's rails.  Much foul language ensued in my attempts to re-establish it to it's former location.  Apparently the stove insides are raw sheet metal in spots.  It is now back in place - but covered in little bloody finger prints - as is the instruction book.  

On the positive side - while going through the instruction book - I figured out how to defeat the automatic temperature turn down for the convection bake.  

• Like 3

Woke to what promised to be a beautiful day but the clouds rolled in fast and now the rain is pounding down and thunder is rumbling in the distance. This will not deter me from making bread. Breakfast was very simple. Bread left from yesterday briefly toasted and topped with Cashel blue cheese and washed down with two cups of coffee:

image.jpg

After that I mixed up the flying starter for Hamelman's semolina bread. Kerry was able to find some Durum semolina in the grocer's and I took that for a few spins in the Thermomix to grind it a bit finer. The starter will take an hour to an hour and a half to ripen.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

DSCN2883.jpg

Since I took this picture it really started coming down and I had to close the windows and doors - now it's lightening up and the nasty looking clouds are across the channel - wonder what the rest of the day will bring!

One of the nurses was kind enough to bring in some parsley and chives from her garden for our herb planter.  I brought up mint from the neighbours garden at home, holy basil and thai basil.  I thought I would be able to find a decent regular old basil plant to add - but the offerings have been pathetic.  

• Like 1

While we were out at Max Burt's farm we picked up a beautiful big sirloin. This morning I divided it up into four very generous servings, vacuum packed them, and put them in the SousVide. No plans for them yet.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Was about to make another Asian pickle when I discovered we had no sesame oil. Sent an email to Kerry in emerg hoping she can pick some up on her way home.

On to the bread.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_1303.jpg

Breakfast for me this morning after getting back from rounds - a couple of pieces of cheese toast - very efficiently made in the Cuisinart oven.  

Ketchup added after picture taken so as not to offend!

• Like 1

Breakfast for me this morning after getting back from rounds - a couple of pieces of cheese toast - very efficiently made in the Cuisinart oven.  

Ketchup added after picture taken so as not to offend!

Many thanks for your thoughtful lack of addition in the photo.  :smile:  You are correct.  Some of us more delicate folk would have been quite taken aback!

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Many thanks for your thoughtful lack of addition in the photo.  :smile:  You are correct.  Some of us more delicate folk would have been quite taken aback!

LOL I had ketchup with leftover mashed potatoes for breakfast the other day........ahhhhhh ketchup.  The breakfast of champions.

So the Asian spinach will have to wait until we can find sesame oil. Instead I made the Spicy Carrot Salad from "Jerusalem". Here's the mise en place:

image.jpg

Carrots, of course, an onion, neutral oil, ground caraway and cumin, pipelchuma, sugar, salt and cider vinegar. Missing is arugula (since flat leaf parsley could not be had in town I held out no hope whatever for arugula!).

The finished dish:

image.jpg

The recipe calls for large carrots, I had small. It suggests boiling them but I steamed mine in the MW. I cut way back on the pipelchuma using 2 very small teaspoons. The salad does grow on one. I think older, more assertive carrots are called for here. But I would make it again as it is an unusual side dish.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Here are the stages of the semolina bread.

image.jpg

The sponge after about 2 hours

image.jpg

I brought up my compact Bosch especially for this bread. Don't know why but it's one bread where I don't use the Thermomix. No longical reason. Anyway the Bosch does a fine job of kneading small quantities of dough.

image.jpg

The dough after kneading. It is a bit aticky but a lovely dough to feel.

image.jpg

And the finished loaf which smells amazing.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

LOL I had ketchup with leftover mashed potatoes for breakfast the other day........ahhhhhh ketchup.  The breakfast of champions.

Heh.  :-)

IMO there is nothing wrong with ketchup.  It's a perfectly fine condiment with a place and time for it; and also a nice ingredient to cook with, also in the appropriate place and in the appropriate dish.  Heck, fine-dining chefs hither and yon in the US have stated on the record that they try to make their own ketchup for their restaurants and at least one has said that he strives to reproduce the taste of Heinz ketchup (and never quite getting it right).  Ketchup is also used in E/SE Asian cuisine, no bones about it - and aficionados of "authentic ethnic cuisine" as found in the relevant locales nowadays might need to have second thoughts about actually eating such "authentic" dishes (some forms of street food included) if they hold to their disdain of ketchup.  :-)

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

It is a beautiful loaf, Anna, the golden colour, the sesame seed crusting - yum!

What temp did you bake it at? I always worry that the sesame seeds might burn, but on your loaf, they look to be at the perfect "doneness."

It is a beautiful loaf, Anna, the golden colour, the sesame seed crusting - yum!

What temp did you bake it at? I always worry that the sesame seeds might burn, but on your loaf, they look to be at the perfect "doneness."

Was baked in the combi oven (Cuisinart counter top) at 450F. I watched like a hawk and did tent it with foil towards the end.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Was baked in the combi oven (Cuisinart counter top) at 450F. I watched like a hawk and did tent it with foil towards the end.

Uh -oh.  You might be getting the hang of it  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  !

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Good morning. Woke to a gray rainy day but the sun has struggled out. It's Canada Day and Little Current has celebration plans so I hope the rain holds off. I understand there is an island-wide garage sale and plans for the downtown vendors to display their wares on the sidewalk. Kerry is working today so I don't expect to spend any time with the celebrants but will likely hear them from the balcony.

Breakfast this morning was Chinese style eggs and tomatoes with a slice of toast:image.jpg

I will head into the kitchen shortly and try to make the spinach pickle which was awaiting some sesame oil. (I think perhaps Kerry forgot to post the grocery shopping photos from yesterday. Certain she took some.) anyway we were able to get sesame oil. The recipe actually calls for black sesame oil but that's asking for too much.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning. Woke to a gray rainy day but the sun has struggled out. It's Canada Day and Little Current has celebration plans so I hope the rain holds off. I understand there is an island-wide garage sale and plans for the downtown vendors to display their wares on the sidewalk. Kerry is working today so I don't expect to spend any time with the celebrants but will likely hear them from the balcony.

I hope the weather holds for you. It's chilly and wet here, the local festivities have already been rescheduled for Saturday.

I've never had egg and tomato like that but it does look tasty. Gonna have to try it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

...  Chinese style eggs ...

I have never heard of these. What makes up this style of egg?

So glad to have you two posting about your trip.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;