• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin test kitchen

Anna N

What are Chinese style eggs? They look good!

http://rasamalaysia.com/tomato-eggs/2/

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Your egg recipe sounds delightful. 

OTOH, I have never understood why I can eat that kind of dish for lunch or supper.  Absolutely adore Egg Foo Yung, made at home.  Can't speak for local restaurants.  And yet I can't even eat an omelette for breakfast.  Absolutely plain eggs or nothing.  I've never even tried Huevos Rancheros in the southwest. 

Follow-up to the ketchup remarks of the other day...I love ketchup on Tourtiere and hamburgers.  Oh, and meat loaf which I haven't made in a couple of years.  That's about it.

As Huiray says, it's great on some things.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

DSCN2894.jpg

Breakfast for me this am after my first trip into the ER was a couple of slices of Anna's semolina bread with cheese.  To accompany - 'Wasabi' Pickled Carrots - carrots that nibble back for sure!

• Like 1

Indeed - I did forget to post our grocery shopping yesterday - got distracted by my attempts to save the Anova from my own stupidity.  Note to self - don't make a tent over the whole thing if it isn't able to heat as high as you'd like - steam isn't good for it!  Having a big bag of rice here was a godsend though.  

DSCN2886.jpg

Thinly sliced sirloin cap, maraschino cherries for cocktails, a few asian ingredients to replace what someone had thrown out since our last time up here, asparagus and some whole wheat flour to get some starter going for Forkish breads.  

DSCN2892.jpg

Also forgotten last night - banana bread for taking to work today.  

• Like 1

Did the Anova survive?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

So the townhouse in Little Current is not immune to the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. Our dishwasher appears to have packed it in. Before I could actually work in the kitchen this morning there was a boatload of dirty disehes in said machine to be dealt with.

So the mise for Sesame Spinach

image.jpg

Spinach which I have washed, blanched, shocked and wrung out. (Kerry wanted to know what all the groaning was about!). Sesame seeds which I toasted. Garlic, sugar, sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce and Korean pepper flakes. The dressing ingredients are combined and then tossed with the spinach.

image.jpg

It needs time for the ingredients to marry but I think it will be a tasy accompaniment or perhaps even a topping for bibimbap if it was warmed up.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

There is a doctor/handyman in the kitchen looking at the dishwasher and muttering as only doctors do when they have run out of medical options and are forced to call upon a higher power! This does not bode well for our cooking adventures.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Kerry unfortunately cannot leave the hospital to come home for dinner so I am eating alone. We had already decided to use up the leftover rice, beef and onions and whatever else we could scrounge from the fridge to make fried rice. We have been rather bad in previous years about using up leftovers which eventually clog the fridge and get tossed.

image.jpg

Fried rice with egg omelette, toyomansi beef and onions, asparagus and seasoned with Red Boat fish sauce and oyster sauce. Sides are sesame spinach and tomato, cucumber, red onion salad. A bit of a mismatch but it worked for me.

Just before Kerry was called away I threw together a version of Jamie Oliver's Summer Crumble using the strawberries from the freezer and the ones Kerry picked outside the hospital. I drizzled a little cointreau over the berries and added a smidgen of sugar. It could have used more topping! It is one dessert I just love. A crumble without oats or nuts. It was baked in the combi oven.

image.jpg

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Yes thank god!  I was trying to figure out how we could get another one up here if I'd frapped it entirely.

You are away from home for five weeks and brought only one Anova??

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

So the dishwasher is out of commission while we await a part for it but it makes a fine draining rack! Breakfast this morning was strawberry crumble, decadent but delicious, followed by a R.C.A.F. favourite-- ketchup on toast. I've spared you photographs.

Last night before bed I made a biga and this morning I've put together the dough for a loaf of ciabbata. Or should it be a slipper of ciabbata?

When Kerry returns from the hospital we shall head out to the "Flea" Market, hit a grocery store and probably the L.C.B.O. to replenish my supply of cheap, boxed wine. Might scan their beer offerings for something interesting but hold out little hope.

It's a beautiful, sunny fresh morning perfect for doing some running around.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

You have my sympathies on the dishwasher's infirmity. But I have friends who only ever use theirs as a drying rack!

How do you keep the swtrawberry crumble from getting all watery? When I bake strawberries, they always seem to exude their liquid in an effort to avoid the heat of the oven, and whatever else is in with them becomes intolerably soggy.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Was able to get back to sleep after the 3 am and 4:15 phone calls - but sadly not after the 4:30.  

DSCN2898.jpg

But I did get to enjoy this!

DSCN2899.jpg

And for breakfast - leftover rice with beef and onions - great breakfast.

• Like 6

You have my sympathies on the dishwasher's infirmity. But I have friends who only ever use theirs as a drying rack!

How do you keep the swtrawberry crumble from getting all watery? When I bake strawberries, they always seem to exude their liquid in an effort to avoid the heat of the oven, and whatever else is in with them becomes intolerably soggy.

These strawberries didn't seem watery even after baking and the crumble topping was still crunchy after a night in the fridge. I was trying to work around the doc who had the dishwasher in pieces all over the kitchen floor and was himself sprawled in front of the sink so I did a poor job of rubbing the butter into the flour/sugar mixture. As a consequence some of the butter separated and formed a bit of a crust overnight. It was easy to avoid when scooping out enough crumble for breakfast.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

After sorting a few things at the hospital this am - we headed out for some retail therapy.

DSCN2912.jpg

First stop - LCBO for some wine and of course the latest LCBO magazine.

DSCN2905.jpg

Then off to the 'Flee' Market.  I noticed a sign that said "Please be aware, your on camera" - wonder if anyone was watching the camera when I added the 're.

DSCN2901.jpg

We decided to check out the food available for lunch at the new store 'The Island Jar' owned by the daughter of one of the clinic nurses.  We were quite surprised to discover the bun that this was on was gluten free.  We shall have to try to obtain the recipe - if we can bake something this nice gluten free - it will be a coup.

DSCN2907.jpg

Then off to the grocery store for a few more items.

DSCN2911.jpg

Also from the grocery store - plants are of course reduced at this point.  Hope springs eternal!  Last year's fig made it home with barely any leaves thanks to the rug rat next to it on the ride, and didn't survive this year's very cold winter. 

• Like 1

Is the Combo oven you have mentioned the CSO-300. I don't know anything about them so I am looking up info online. I sometimes think of myself like the robot from the movie Short Circuit, always looking for new info to absorb.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Is the Combo oven you have mentioned the CSO-300. I don't know anything about them so I am looking up info online. I sometimes think of myself like the robot from the movie Short Circuit, always looking for new info to absorb.

Yes it is. Like you I have a constant need to fill up on new information.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

There's a thread here on it:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/146617-cuisinart-combo-steamconvection-oven/?hl=%20cuisinart

• Like 1

image.jpg

So that is the Flee Market from the outside. The inside and outside are crammed with things useful and useless. Kerry also picked up a metal shelving unit which was outside and now holds our bar much more conveniently than boxes.

I can't let some things go without comment. The gluten free bun we had at lunch was truly amazing in terms of being bread-like but the photo does no justice to the minuscule size of the sandwich which cost $6.50 and had a mere schmear of chicken salad and kimchi that had no real hint that it was indeed kimchi.

The copious amounts of Clearasil from the flee market are not a hint that my teenage acne has broken out again but that I intend to jail break the containers and fill them with liquid hand soap to be used in the hands-free dispenser.

My ciabbata bread was largely a big fail. Not sure why but I intend to try again tomorrow.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog