• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 3)

mm84321

Ashen – I wish I could find some nice, fat asparagus like that for Mr. Kim – everything I’m finding here is pencil thin.

Dejah – thank you!  You would be MOST welcome at my table.  Not the first meal that I would rather have served to my online friends rather than the folks who were actually here :rolleyes: !  Funny you should serve that rainbow trout.  Just this weekend Mr. Kim said that he’d like to try to find some trout to stuff with citrus and grill!

Anna – thank you.  I’ve never seen those sprouts either – I assumed they were mung bean.  The preparation sounds really good.

Norm – Mr. Kim drooled mightily over your smoked pork chops and that salsa.  I think we’re going to have to approximate that recipe before long. 

Soba – everything was beautiful, but tonight I think I’ll take the scallops with that beautiful tomato bread!

Scuba – those fries look amazing.  I didn’t have any luck the time I tried that method, but yours are inspiring me to try again.

Shelby – gorgeous cornbread.  At first glance, I thought it had pepperoni on top!

Ann – beautiful meals.  I’d like to get messy with those quail!

Last night I piled some Kahlua pork from the freezer on cornbread waffles and topped that with slaw.  Pile ‘o waffles:

med_gallery_3331_114_51861.jpg

These are SO good.  I had one for lunch, toasted and positively slathered with butter!

Finished dish:

med_gallery_3331_114_33455.jpg

Served with corn:

med_gallery_3331_114_60996.jpg

It is only the beginning of June and we are already getting really good corn.  Better than the corn we were getting in August last year.  Not local, of course, but very good.

• Like 3

mm well that looks incredible… did you use a real vin jaune or just a savagnin (I'm guessing the latter is fine for cooking purposes)? 

Was this a classic poulet à vin jaune et aux morilles or did you update the recipe?

image.jpg

Half package of instant noodles, seasoning tossed. Cooked in homemade broth with baby spinach and leftover chicken from lunch.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

mm well that looks incredible… did you use a real vin jaune or just a savagnin (I'm guessing the latter is fine for cooking purposes)? 

Was this a classic poulet à vin jaune et aux morilles or did you update the recipe?

Thanks. I used a 2006 Jacques Puffeney Arbois Vin Jaune. I keep it in a small container in the fridge, and it stays very well. For this I simply roasted the chickens, made a jus with vin jaune, and cooked the morels with vin jaune, a stock made from the stems/scraps and some whipped cream. Very satisfying dish to cook and eat.

Beef shin & pork braised/stewed w/ fermented/preserved beancurd, bamboo shoots & daikon. 

Generous sliced ginger sautéed in corn oil.  Beef shin slices browned in the oil.  A bit of Redmond salt added.  Tossed w/ a mixture of chillied fermented beancurd and preserved beancurd in sesame oil (see below), mashing up the beancurd blocks.  Some of the liquid from the jars of tofu poured in as well.  Sufficient water added. Brought to a simmer for a short while.  Bamboo shoots (pre-simmered in salted water) added in, plus about a (big) half-head's worth of garlic, smashed, deskinned.  Simmered for a while.  Pork chunks (from a bone-in pork chop) added in, followed shortly after by daikon chunks (skinned).  Seasoning adjusted.  Simmered till done.

Eaten w/ Fuzhou-type hand-made thin wheat noodles (this one).

DSCN1704a_800.jpg

Pic of the two types of preserved/fermented beancurd I used:

DSCN1701a_600.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)

huiray, is the fermented bean curd also known as fuyu?  My dad used to eat that when I was a kid.

Beef shin & pork braised/stewed w/ fermented/preserved beancurd, bamboo shoots & daikon. 

Generous sliced ginger sautéed in corn oil.  Beef shin slices browned in the oil.  A bit of Redmond salt added.  Tossed w/ a mixture of chillied fermented beancurd and preserved beancurd in sesame oil (see below), mashing up the beancurd blocks.  Some of the liquid from the jars of tofu poured in as well.  Sufficient water added. Brought to a simmer for a short while.  Bamboo shoots (pre-simmered in salted water) added in, plus about a (big) half-head's worth of garlic, smashed, deskinned.  Simmered for a while.  Pork chunks (from a bone-in pork chop) added in, followed shortly after by daikon chunks (skinned).  Seasoning adjusted.  Simmered till done.

Eaten w/ Fuzhou-type hand-made thin wheat noodles (this one).

attachicon.gifDSCN1704a_800.jpg

Pic of the two types of preserved/fermented beancurd I used:

attachicon.gifDSCN1701a_600.jpg

Today was Cassie's birthday dinner. I got everything ready today and was going to pre prepare as much today and have it ready for her birthday tomorrow then I found out that she works tomorrow so everything got finished today. I am tired.  We had Cuban steak (Chuck eye with garlic oil, adobo and Cajun seasonings) grilled; with chimichurri sauce, nopalitos, french fried sweet potatoes with jalapeno catsup, and a Latin style salad with corn, black beans, red onions, avocados and a dressing with orange and lime juices.   Cassie made her own birthday cake.   

DSCN1465_zps44b00a16.jpg

DSCN1466_zpse5f2db60.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 7

huiray, is the fermented bean curd also known as fuyu?  My dad used to eat that when I was a kid.

robie - yes, I would say.  The generic name for the stuff is "腐乳", which in Cantonese would be pronounced in a way that "fuyu" would approximate.  (The Yale Cantonese for "腐乳" would be fu6 yu5; although when I was growing up I learned of the stuff as something closer to "fu yuee")

SO many fantastic meals I want to replicate! This is my go-to place for inspiration when I don't know what to have for supper. Thank you ALL for taking the time to cook and post!  :wub:

Gardening at the moment is taking up most of my cooking time after teaching classes. So, anything I can throw together and cook by itself is alright by me!

Last night, we had Betty Crocker Slow Cooker Coconut Chicken and store-bought French bread for supper. Ate a few mosquitoes as appetizer... :rolleyes:

CoconutChickenSoup1362.jpg

Picked up 1.55 KG of cremini mushrooms at 50% off while shopping for fruit - $5.07! Made the start for Hungarian Mushroom soup. Will complete the process tonight after work.

• Like 6

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

SobaAddict,  What a lovely dinner.  The colours are so vibrant.

Ninagluck,  Lamb shanks are a favourite.   Love your meatball presentation.  

Shelby,  great presentation. Love your platter.

Norm, Nice celebration dinner.  And Cassie's cake is beautiful.

Dejah, another meal I would enjoy.

Kim, I never think to serve waffles as anything but breakfast.   Great idea.  I've been finding some decent corn here too.  Some of it good enough to make a meal of.

I had a craving for a French Dip Sandwich.  

Mini%20Baguettes%20June%204th%2C%202014%

So I baked mini baguettes and roasted a small sirloin tip roast.

French%20Dip%20Sandwiches%20June%204th%2

Served with homemade fries, double fried.

• Like 11

image.jpg

Some days all you can manage is rinse and repeat.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog