• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 3)

mm84321

Catching up here… wow so many great meals, it's impossible to single any of them out. But I will say Kim that your smoked kielbasa and pulled pork look wonderful. Not being able to have a grill is my one regret about living in Manhattan.

For me it's been very busy at work so just another easy weekday meal, pasta with tuna.

pasta_with_tuna.jpg

• Like 5

image.jpg

Maki ke pakore -- corn fritters

This is member Monica Bhide's version

http://www.netplaces.com/indian-food/starters-and-snacks-shurat/corn-fritters-maki-ke-pakore.htm

I did not have an Indian chutney so these were eaten with Branston pickle. Really not appropriate.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yes it is the same potatoes , I just use a 1970 recipe called Crashed Potatoes,  we got it  with a turkey recipe from  Grand Auntie Violet  ( American relative).  We never did the  cheerful marshmallow and cranberry salad , nor the marshmallow coated  turkey, but the potatoes  was something that sounded nice and we done them since then.

Good judgement on your part!  Marshmallows contaminate some of my wife's inexplicably favorite holiday dishes. They are all fit only for 8 year olds. Yuk.

Good judgement on your part!  Marshmallows contaminate some of my wife's inexplicably favorite holiday dishes. They are all fit only for 8 year olds. Yuk.

I haven't understood it either, apparently  you add the marshmallows to get the kids to eat.  Is the food so horrible that you have to bribe them with candy? 

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Anna - yummy looking pakora! 

And I'm going to guess that while the Branston pickle wasn't _appropriate_, it was still extremely delicious with the pakore?

Nah. I like it a lot but the two were not in the least complementary. The pakora would have been better "naked".

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I haven't understood it either, apparently  you add the marshmallows to get the kids to eat.  Is the food so horrible that you have to bribe them with candy? 

At risk of flaming by Southerners, I believe that there are those down South who actually like this stuff into adulthood (eg my wife).  "Ambrosia Salad" is on the menu of many restaurants down there and I have seen adults order it.

• Like 1

Anna - yummy looking pakora! 

And I'm going to guess that while the Branston pickle wasn't _appropriate_, it was still extremely delicious with the pakore?

Nah. I like it a lot but the two were not in the least complementary. The pakora would have been better "naked".

Two articles on flavor pairing:

http://www.nature.com/srep/2011/111215/srep00196/full/srep00196.html

http://specertified.com/blog/view/flavor-pairings-the-science-of-flavor

14399814766_2ca3c5e344_z.jpg

Chard with yogurt, tahini and buttered pine nuts (from "Jerusalem: A Cookbook", pages 88-89)

14422991302_052742b29b_z.jpg

Baby carrots, with young onion and radishes

14401166266_615b0c86ff_z.jpg

14424293295_df19b07363_z.jpg

14420943601_ee502ccc08_z.jpg

About 5 ripe tomatoes (3 heirloom tomatoes and 2 Jersey tomatoes), quartered

I cooked them, covered, over medium-high heat until they broke down, then added 1/4 cup water and simmered the resulting sauce over low heat until thickened.

14237632649_cee7369e4f_z.jpg

Then added sea salt and black pepper to taste, and 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil.

14237828647_e2758f94b2_z.jpg

Penne with summer tomato sauce

(the green stuff are finely minced tops from a couple of young onions; they're not as harsh as scallions and provide just a hint of allium)

In other news, here are some edible organic pesticide-free roses

14236297099_9ced71ee79_z.jpg

14236296809_ec0527b95e_z.jpg

I sterilized a jar, then partially filled the jar with rose petals.

14421655402_7387f4c0b8_z.jpg

Then filled it with some heated white wine vinegar.

The jar will sit in a cool, dark place for 4-6 weeks, whereupon it will become rose petal vinegar.

To be continued...

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)
  • Like 5

Son and his fiancee made Father's Day dinner for me today since Cassie works tomorrow.  She made mixed vegetables cooked soft but still crunchy with jalapenos and Creole seasoning and fried sweet potatoes while son made T-Bones on the grill.  Dessert was a trifle made with cake, baked apples, fruit jam, cake and whipped cream. 

• Like 3

At risk of flaming by Southerners, I believe that there are those down South who actually like this stuff into adulthood (eg my wife).  "Ambrosia Salad" is on the menu of many restaurants down there and I have seen adults order it.

We do have our  weird stuff to in Sweden, the area I come from  skillet fry potatoes and add  up 100 ml of    our version  of golden syrup.   Yeap toffee potatoes with meat, yuck.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

A late dinner.

Spinach blanched in oiled hot water (in a pyrex bowl) then drained, re-bowled & dressed w/ ponzu sauce & ground white pepper.

Shell-on head-on prawns (salt-water farmed, Indiana), pan-fried w/ garlic, ginger, young candy onion w/ its lower green parts, Redmond salt, generous white pepper, hot long green chillies.  The prawns were pre-marinated w/ some kan sui (K2CO3 + NaHCO3) diluted w/ some water, plus some sugar; then rinsed.

DSCN1810a_800.jpg

DSCN1812b_800.jpg

• Like 7

Liuzhou, that shrimp and pasta --YUM making me drool.  You are so lucky to get such fresh seafood.

Franci, you too-that octopus looks delicious.  I wish my husband liked to eat it so I could make it.

Scuba, those scallops look like they are perfectly seared.

I must be in a seafood mood because all of the above have me dreaming :)

Everyone else, great dishes, as always!

My husband went to the Asian market again and they had great crawdads and shrimp like they did last week.

Kind of a vegetable/shrimp alfredo.  Squash is the first one from the garden.

photo 1.JPG

Crawdads!  My mom told me that one time when she went to a boil down in LA--my step-dad is from around New Roads--they put hotdogs in.  I had some languishing in the fridge, so I tried it.  They were good!  Soaked up a nice spice.

photo 2.JPG

Chef salad again last night using ham and shrimp.  Lettuce, asparagus, onion, radish and squash from the garden.  Oh and the eggs are fresh, too, from a place down the road.

photo 3.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.jpg

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 9

20140615_173930_zps8f40c462.jpg

Pulled pork, baked potatoes, tomato salad and my daughters beloved peas.,  We had  srichacha and chipotle mayo to this. 

Not fancy but yummy.  

We are not a rich family nor even middle class, we are  poor and I think I do well with what I can find that suit  my budget.     The pulled pork was   thick ribs, 3 of these and we had dinner that was enough for us all and the best part, the meat cost us  18 SEK, thats 1.8 Euro or 2.55 USD and it was still  Swedish, high grade, fresh butchered in the store .  The closes I can get to good meat without buying eco.

• Like 7

CatPoet, there are a lot of us who believe that one can eat well on a limited budget. Good for you for demonstrating it!

Shelby, it looks like you have a couple of really fun sunflower bowls in that spread. Am I seeing them correctly? I am a sucker for fanciful pottery and dishware. :-)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I always buy the best meat I can afford when it is on sale or offers.  The freezer is my friend, but I dont over buy so the meat goes bad nor can I, it holds about 1½ month worth of food + peas.

And I menu plan, so I know what we need.  Oh next Sunday is menu planning day, I will ask you lot for help.

• Like 2

CatPoet, there are a lot of us who believe that one can eat well on a limited budget. Good for you for demonstrating it!

Shelby, it looks like you have a couple of really fun sunflower bowls in that spread. Am I seeing them correctly? I am a sucker for fanciful pottery and dishware. :-)

I'm a sucker, too.  Unfortunately, I'm also a klutz and break a lot of my stuff sigh.  But, yes, I LOVE this set.  Both are sunflowers.  Got 'em for Christmas from my husband a few years ago.

• Like 1

My daughter's college graduation party was yesterday.  She requested my pulled pork.  For 25 guests I smoked 13 pounds uncooked.  Everyone loved it.

Here is the meat going on the smoker:

pulled-pork-rt1.jpg

Coming off:

pulled-pork-rt2.jpg

and pulled (one of two trays):

pulled-pork-rt3.jpg

• Like 12

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Mgaretz, I had to move back from my keyboard to prevent drooling on it.   :wub:   If you haven't posted your recipe and methods already in one of the smoking topics, please enlighten us.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown