• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 3)

mm84321

Happy to. It's a riff on a chicken-cabbage salad. I shredded three poached chicken breasts, half a head of red cabbage and a carrot, and tossed that with a cup of chopped, mixed herbs - dill, cilantro, thai basil, mint. The dressing was three juiced limes, one chopped chili, two chopped garlic cloves, two tablespoons of sugar, one of fish sauce, half teaspoon of salt, and oil to taste. It would benefit from some ground peanuts as well, but I didn't have any when I was preparing this.

• Like 1

Kim Shook:  Cassie said she used a Wilton #21 tip and started with a star in the middle then did a circle around it for each flower on the cake.  It was only a 5 or 6-inch cake.  Cassie has does cake making-decorating as a side line.  If you are on facebook, you can see some of her work here

https://www.facebook.com/CassiesCakesAndSweets

14371589655_ca2cea1389_z.jpg

Hamaguri ushio-jiru ("clear clam soup")

The garnish is non-traditional -- a cube of firm tofu, some blanched asparagus spears, clams and slivered scallion

I had originally said I wanted to learn Chinese cooking as part of my 2014 food resolutions but I will probably switch to Japanese, because my partner is a Japan-o-phile. (I rarely cook Asian food or Asian-inspired dishes, as many of you have noticed -- so you know it's a big deal when I do it.)

14185022260_a7992c71d3_z.jpg

14348498976_b9f20110d5_z.jpg

Spaghetti with fennel, sardines and currants

• Like 4

Ever since I saw Norm Mathews' post about the leaping frog chicken , I knew I would try it sooner than later. 

If anything , mine turned out even stranger looking, sort of looks like the starship enterprise if you ignore the wings. 

Rubbed with bone dust( Ted Reader recipe with a tweak of my own homegrown smoke dried chili powder)  on the smoker with sugar maple and black cherry wood for smoke. 

GEDC4515_zps51375b22.jpg

nicely juicy even after a good rest. 

GEDC4518_zps8aca7890.jpg

busy day , great for using smoker.. sides are just storebought salads. mac & cheese salad and a real weakness of mine  toxic green coleslaw

GEDC4519_zpscfbd1e3d.jpg

• Like 6

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Soba - that spaghetti looks great...some time ago, I had bought as a slight experiment/joke a can of a sauce very similar to this. It was, for lack of a better term, foul. I had imagined at the time, that it would be wonderful homemade. I see you have confirmed that!

Soba - that spaghetti looks great...some time ago, I had bought as a slight experiment/joke a can of a sauce very similar to this. It was, for lack of a better term, foul. I had imagined at the time, that it would be wonderful homemade. I see you have confirmed that!

thanks. ;)

it's a Sicilian treatment. the currants (mixed with golden raisins) were soaked in boiling water to which was added some saffron threads.

the sauce consists of olive oil, onion, fennel (simmered in lightly salted water, then drained), canned Portuguese sardines packed in olive oil, the currants and raisins, a little currant/raisin soaking liquid, sea salt and black pepper. finely chopped fennel greens for garnish.

no garlic, surprise! not every Italian pasta sauce features garlic. I wish more people knew that.

===================

vegan night tonight:

14378389392_b345ab32a5_z.jpg

14378389952_41a21d20fd_z.jpg

Hiyayakko tofu, with wasabi furikake, soy sauce and scallion

Sometimes I'll use chopped heirloom tomatoes mixed with a little slivered umeboshi, but I opted for a more traditional version instead.

14193216278_23833dc4fa_z.jpg

14193393287_a0e0e082f3_z.jpg

Spaghetti con salsa di pomodoro ("spaghetti with uncooked heirloom tomato sauce")

Contains: diced heirloom tomatoes, scallion, Italian parsley, sea salt, black pepper and extra-virgin olive oil. Lately I've been using scallions instead of shallots and onion, for when I want a hint of allium.

• Like 1

Asian market had some VERY lively crawdads that had just shipped in.  So, we snagged some.  I think they were $3.99/lb.  Not bad for Kansas.  They were SO good.  

photo 1.JPG

With leftover crawdad tails I made seafood enchiladas (I used some scallops in there, too).

photo 2.JPG

• Like 7

Tonight I filleted a passing mackerel and simply fried it. Served with plain boiled potatoes and some Chinese 'smacked' cucumber in a chilli dressing.

Mackerel w Smacked Cucumber and Potato.jpg

The cucumber salad was store bought and under par. Next time, I'll be less lazy and do it myself. I usually do and it's much better, if I say so myself.

Cucumber with Chilli Dressing 2.jpg

• Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Last night's dinner was short on prep and high on taste. Tomato and burrata salad finished with nice olive oil and basil served with fresh swordfish steaks seasoned with S&P, garlic and rosemary.

P1020762(1).JPG

Edited by Steve Irby (log)
  • Like 5

Last night's dinner was short on prep and high on taste. Tomato and burrata salad finished with nice olive oil and basil served with fresh swordfish steaks seasoned with S&P, garlic and rosemary.

attachicon.gifP1020762(1).JPG

I like the simplicity and the flavors. For years I was afraid of fresh rosemary as being too strong but recent experiments tell me I was a fool...

How much and with what do you smack the cucumber? I think I would like this salad too.

I imagine it's a side of the cleaver sort of thing.

Indeed it is a flat of the cleaver blade job. Or you could use a rolling pin or any blunt instrument. Whack it hard enough to break down a little of the fibres; you don't want to pulverise it.

Those in the picture are a bit under-whacked for my liking and the cuke is usually in smaller pieces.

Here is Fuchsia Dunlop's article and recipe.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto