• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Preferred brand of soy sauce

jrcrunch

22 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

All my life I've used the grocery store versions of La Choy or Kikkoman.  Kikkoman was what was on the tables of every Chinese restaurant I ever ate at - even in Chinatown, DC.  It wasn't until I started reading about food in serious magazines and online that I even realized that, of course, there were differences in soy sauces, just like there are differences in the quality of all condiments.  But I never did anything about it until last week when my need for going to an Asian market coincided with running out of soy sauce.  So I did a little cellphone eG research standing in the sauce aisle (not as easy as it sounds) and came up with this:

How did I do?  And if I didn't do well, give me some advice so I can do better next time.

As in all things - taste - to you  - is the defining factor. Also different soy sauces have different applications. My everyday preference is Kikkoman - the version with ingredient list below. Barbara Tropp turned me onto Pearl River Mushroom Soy for certain dishes. It is a big field and cheap to play with. I get my Kikkoman at Asian markets in bigger bottle. Out now (thank you CV19).  

Ingredients

Water Soy Beans, Wheat, Salt, Alcohol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

All my life I've used the grocery store versions of La Choy or Kikkoman.  Kikkoman was what was on the tables of every Chinese restaurant I ever ate at - even in Chinatown, DC.  It wasn't until I started reading about food in serious magazines and online that I even realized that, of course, there were differences in soy sauces, just like there are differences in the quality of all condiments.  But I never did anything about it until last week when my need for going to an Asian market coincided with running out of soy sauce.  So I did a little cellphone eG research standing in the sauce aisle (not as easy as it sounds) and came up with this:

IMG_4034.jpg.e02937c190d7e8171862f767820153b2.jpg

How did I do?  And if I didn't do well, give me some advice so I can do better next time.

Years ago, I lived in an otherwise all-Chinese neighbourhood. Over a period of a few months, I came to realize that all of my neighbours used PRB soy sauce, so I started using it as well. It's not at all artisanal, just a mass-market product, but to my taste it's a good one and still my default.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Though I know they exist I haven't found any real discernable differences from the obscure Asian mrkt varieties to the Kikkoman's of the world.  For a while I thought low-sodium was the way to go but found it to be no more than a watered down version of regular so I usually get it and cut it w water when desired.  

Of course someone had to come up w a recent best of https://www.thespruceeats.com/best-soy-sauces-4691499  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That wasn't chicken

black bean soy sauce2.jpg

This is my new favourite. It is 黑豆原酿酱油 (hēi dòu yuán niàng jiàng yóu), which means "black bean soy sauce". Regular soy sauce is made from yellow soy beans, but this from black soy beans. The sauce has a deeper flavour than regular, but is less salty and with a more mellow aftertaste.

black soya beans.jpg

Black Soy Beans

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 5 months later...

Somewhere on eGullet a soy sauce called Takesan Kishibori Shoyu was mentioned.  I went to order something from Amazon today and noticed it was on my wish list.  Is anyone familiar with this?  I'm trying to decide whether or not to treat myself to this.

36 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

In this topic! 6th post.

How stupid of me not to know that Takesan Kishibori is the same thing as Tokusen Maru-Daizu.  Thank goodness you're right here to correct me by pointing this out.

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

How stupid of me not to know that Takesan Kishibori is the same thing as Tokusen Maru-Daizu.  Thank goodness you're right here to correct me by pointing this out.

If that is correct, I like Kikkoman Marudaizu.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

I know some other Canadians will be familiar with China Lily Soy Sauce. It may be a bit coarse, but I have been known to have some in the cupboard and get the odd craving for it. A bit of a panic when it seemed to be in short supply last year, more pandemic buying? 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/china-lily-shortage-1.5817336

https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2020/11/toronto-soy-sauce-factory-shuts-down-neighbourhood-wonders-whats-coming-next/

• Sad 1