• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absurdly, stupidly basic cooking questions (Part 2)

Pontormo

1 hour ago, AlaMoi said:

as 'things' happen,,,, bread boxes can become overwhelmed with mold spores.

a thorough wash with bleach or strong vinegar will kill mold spores - you may have to repeat . . .

I have used @Alex's concentration of bleach and submerged the breadbox in a tall stock pot for half hour or so. We'll have to see if this increases the time before mould starts.

I find that just hanging out in the kitchen, the open end of fresh bread develops a hard surface, whereas in the breadbox, the bread stays soft. Until day 3 or 4 which is time for the toaster anyway.

Edited by TdeV
clarity (log)

I find 'how fast' bread goes 'off' is mostly a factor of home made vs commercial stuff.

the commercial breads are spiked with preservatives / etc (don't know about psuedo stuff like Panera...)

and they last almost indefinitely.

otoh, home made loaves start to stale fairly quickly.  I used the plastic sleeve wrappers (from commercial loaves) to 'store' my home made, until the loaf is small enough to go in the glass domed thingy.  round loaves . . . go directly into the glass dome keeper....

• 2 weeks later...

I bought some orecchiette pasta from Amazon. The brand la Molisana, product of Italy. I could not find orecchiette pasta locally and there is a sausage and peas recipe that I wanted to try. In the recipe photo the bits of sausage and peas just nestled in the little ears. Yesterday my daughter and son-in-law came over and spent a few hours doing some chores that are difficult for me and impossible for my husband since he is currently in a wheelchair. I wanted to make them lunch without going to the store so thought I would use the pasta to make an antipasto type salad. Anyway.... boiled the pasta, which took about 12 minutes. The water very starchy, which would be great for pasta sauce. When I drained the pasta, a LOT of the little ears were nestled into each other; 2,3,4 or 5 at a time. My question is, is this normal for orecchiette pasta? I probably spent 15 minutes separating them. Since it was for pasta salad, I ran cold water over the pasta when I drained it - I could not have separated them when they were hot.

• Sad 1

On 7/28/2024 at 2:09 PM, AlaMoi said:

I find 'how fast' bread goes 'off' is mostly a factor of home made vs commercial stuff.

The bleach reset the bread box's ability to keep bread without mould.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@MaryIsobel, I usually use olive oil to separate smaller pasta.

In the cooking water? I never use oil because I find that the sauce doesn't stick (for hot pasta.) I did add the vinagarette to the pasta while it was stil a little warm but that didn't help with the separation issue.

• Like 1

I've never cooked orecchiette, but I'm all ears about what folks have to say about this problem.

I'm wondering how much and how vigorously you stirred it as it was cooking. Perhaps orecchiette needs more than the usual amount.

• Thanks 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Since I can no longer handle big pots of water, I probably cook mine in less water than most people do. Therefore, I Stir It vigorously for at least a minute and then periodically while it's cooking. I haven't had problems with any pasta sticking although I rarely cook orrechette because I seldom see it here.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ive cooked  orecchiette 

and I cook pasta in a lot less water than traditional .

much less water works fine.

Id say :

the pasta choice , your only option , was not good quality pasta 

or , you didn't srit enough initially , and later,  to keep the ' good quality ' sticking.'

if you use less water , and I do , you have to do the string , the boiling water usually does :

moves the pasta around, after an initial stir or so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

in my experience small shapes - especially anything that may 'nest' - like shells - needs an immediate sitr-up when going into the boiling water. 

seems the starchiness likes to make it stick together - linguini and fettuccine is also prone to 'let's make a clump' -

but stuff like small/medium shells takes some additional attention.   heck, even large shells for 'stuffed pasta xxx' like to cuddle up . . .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1