• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Omelette: how do you make your(favorite)s?

silverbrow

if you have eggs

and  mix-ins

Im happy to  now  call

scrambled eggs

w mix-ins  

an  extended   omelette.  

only in these interesting times.

after we all get a fairly effective vaccination 

Ill think about it  again 

and go back to my older ns trsditional views

if i can.

• Like 1

I switched to a saute pan with higher sides to accommodate more vigorous jerking.

Omelet04202020.png

About thirty seconds.  Still creamy in the center.  No utensil sullied.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@JoNorvelleWalker 

looks like an Egyptian  

from the Valley of the Dead 

or maybe the Kings ?

is this Hatsheput ?

how did Howard Carter miss this ?

glad its still creamy inside 

and yes , peoples 

Ive been having a very very slow infusion for some time

slow , low 

and watching Bosch S6

drunk.jpeg.36698ed7d7b92b1ccc113144398a6b05.jpeg

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 years later...

I made chef Ludo's boursin omelette the other day. It was pretty rich, and I would use smaller dollops of boursin next time. Regrettably I was out of chives, so you will have to picture this with finely sliced chives on top. The center was custardy-creamy.

Chef Ludo Boursin Omelette

• Like 8
  • Delicious 4

1 hour ago, FrogPrincesse said:

I made chef Ludo's boursin omelette the other day. It was pretty rich, and I would use smaller dollops of boursin next time. Regrettably I was out of chives, so you will have to picture this with finely sliced chives on top. The center was custardy-creamy.

Chef Ludo Boursin Omelette

Looks perfect!

• Like 2

My perfect omelet would be one with no browning and the inside like soft custardy eggs.

I can get that about 50% of the time as it takes near perfect timing and any filling ingredients warmed without any excess liquid (when using greens).

Here's an older example: mushroom, spinach and goat cheese 2 egg omelet.

MushroomSpinachandGoatCheeseOmelet.thumb.JPG.901edbe1c8e6b4e44f23046c84dbb6a9.JPG

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

I/we prefer the slightly browned aka 'country style' -

just about everyone is a favorite . . .

- just cheese

- western/Denver

- mushroom & onion

- tomato & scallion

- ham&cheese.  I save&freeze diced spiral ham (Easter thing . . . ) for later use

- cheese&sausage

oddly, no "beef" stuff in the mix . . . might have to play with that....

btw, my "Blue Diamond" ceramic pan has officially transitioned from "non-stick" to "stick" so I'm having to revert back to real Teflon for eggs & crepes....

• 3 weeks later...

follow-up on the Blue Diamond pan . . .

I noticed a film build up on the sides and various spots on the floor - broke out the Bar Keeper's Friend and gave it a good scour.

lots of brown stuff came off - I've only used butter and olive oil in the pan - so it's no emulsifiers building up....

I have tried Bar Keepers Friend on "real Telflon pans" - the brown film (?lecithin?) did not come off - never used sprays on them ala PAM

. . but once burnt on, the Teflon pan is scrap.

in contrast, this (ceramic?) Blue Diamond pan did come clean of the film, and subsequent use I'd say is about 85-90% of "new out of the box" non-stickiness.

how many scrubbings will it tolerate?  dunno.

• Like 1

@AlaMoi

I was about to buy one of those Blue Diamond pans , as the 9.5 " is on sale.

but don't really need another pan , of any kind.  but I might succumb for research purposes.

My Teflon pans continue to serve me well   this set and brand

T-fal Ultimate Hard Anodized Nonstick Fry Pan Set 3 Piece, 8, 10.25, 12 Inch, Oven Broiler Safe 400F, Lid Safe 350F (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

I ve had them for years , and now find that they work decently as long as they are hot when the eggs go in 

ie there is a sizzle .  no sizzle , I didn't wait long enough and there is sticking .  this is eggs w no EVOO or Butter,

they do not function quite the same , of course , as brand new .  but work well for my purposes.

in terms of the ' film '   Ive had that on my heavy French copper sauce // fry pans 

I think its polymerized oil of some sort .  PAM is the worst thing to use , and promotes very heavy build up

I removed it either Eazy=Off or BTF.

is it possible you get that brown film , using only EVOO and Butter  because you use the pans at a very high heat ?

One of my favorite pans is a dedicated carbon steel omelette pan. I've had it as long as I can remember. I don't use it for anything else, although I suppose you could make crepes in it. It's best for a 2-egg omelette but can accommodate 3. My preferred is a really simple one, with chives and melty cheese; these days we often use Oaxaca, since it behaves so well and we typically have it on hand. I'm not partial to overstuffed affairs. I find that a lot of ingredients takes longer to cook and therefore overcooks the eggs, browning them. I never order omelettes when I'm out for brunch. They just end up clunky and tough. Brunch is a tough sell for me under most any circumstances, though. Could be I've already said this but I don't remember.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

. . . I'm not partial to overstuffed affairs. I find that a lot of ingredients takes longer to cook and therefore overcooks the eggs, browning them.

Restraint is good, but not one of my virtues so I often pre-cook the innards (veggies, etc.) just before making the omelette.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Few things give me more pleasure in the kitchen than turning out a no-colour, soft-set, french omelette...

Omelette1.thumb.png.206378c37c7812555b41559d6c25f06e.png

Omelette2.thumb.png.e449aef9e9fffae52fb531038e7b3707.png

Just a rub with a pat of butter and a sprinkling of flaky sea salt. "Faites simple", as someone once said.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

10 minutes ago, Pete Fred said:

Few things give me more pleasure in the kitchen than turning out a no-colour, soft-set, french omelette...

Omelette1.thumb.png.206378c37c7812555b41559d6c25f06e.png  Omelette2.thumb.png.e449aef9e9fffae52fb531038e7b3707.png

Just a rub with a pat of butter and a sprinkling of flaky sea salt. "Faites simple", as someone once said.

Beautiful ... lovely.

... Shel

On 4/17/2020 at 4:12 PM, gfweb said:

Try this

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/13-1980-julia-child-cooks-omelet-46889625

Watching this I can see I'm not exactly using her method. No jerking, but stirring and then a quick roll into a tube. Takes about 45sec

My omelette is more like the 2nd one in Pepin's video

Love Jacques, but the fork on the non-stick is hurting my head. I thought that was the number one rule about non-stick, or am I mis-remembering?

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

modern days . . . depends on the "non-stick"

original types of Teflon, no metal

newer "ceramic" types, they can tolerate metal utensils....

the "middle ages" were 'anodized' - you could gently use metal utensils, but they wore out pretty quick

8 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

Love Jacques, but the fork on the non-stick is hurting my head. I thought that was the number one rule about non-stick, or am I mis-remembering?

I'm pretty sure that in professional settings, nonstick pans are simply replaced at a fairly regular rate. I probably replace mine once every year or so.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

9 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

I use wooden utensils on my non stick pots/pans. I have yet to find a plastic utensil worth a damn. 

EDIT: except for my metal tongs with silicone coating. If you want to consider that "plastic"

Edited by FeChef (log)

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2024 at 11:01 AM, Pete Fred said:

Omelette1.thumb.png.206378c37c7812555b41559d6c25f06e.png

Omelette2.thumb.png.e449aef9e9fffae52fb531038e7b3707.png

Absolute top standard. It's not the only way, but for this target, this looks perfect.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Kerala said:

Absolute top standard. It's not the only way, but for this target, this looks perfect.

As one who cannot abide one tiny fleck of brown on any type of eggs, this looks absolutely perfect to me.