• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2013–)

FrogPrincesse

Corn & egg drop soup - Quick stock from a little kombu kelp and dried sitake, frozen corn - half of it blended until smooth, the remaining corn kernels left whole, sliced baby corn, soy sauce, eggs slowly drizzled, dark roasted sesame oil to finish, and scallions.

20170113_202825.jpg

Hard to tell from the picture, but there is plenty of whole kernels in there for texture.

• Like 8

~ Shai N.

This is a soup I made to take for lunch this week.  It is from the most recent issue of Fine Cooking magazine.  It has roasted jicama, carrots, and butternut squash, onions, roasted garlic, tomatoes, kale, quinoa, and cannellini beans.

soup.jpg

• Like 8

Lentil soup. Carrots, parsley, onion, green chili, garlic. Added lentils and pressured cooked until tender, blend 1/3 of it into until smooth and mix with the remaining. Cumin, paprika, parsley, cilantro, pepper.

Served with flat noodles and a paste of parsley, lemon zest, garlic, chili and EVOO.

20170118_201445.jpg

Quite good if I can say so myself :) 

• Like 8

~ Shai N.

image.jpeg

Caramelized onion – tomato soup with Jarlsberg Croutons. It is from the book Pooles: Recipes and Stories from a Modern Diner. I found it online through Lucky Peach. For a relatively simple final soup the steps to making it are quite complex. The onions, the canned tomatoes and even the broth are each cooked separately before being combined.  For the amount of time and effort taken it was extremely disappointing. Was it me? Was it my ingredients? I honestly don't know.  There was more than enough for one meal so I have stuck the remainder in the refrigerator hoping by tomorrow something magical will have happened.  I am not in the least bit hopeful. If anyone else has attempted this soup I would love to hear your opinion.  

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

There was more than enough for one meal so I have stuck the remainder in the refrigerator hoping by tomorrow something magical will have happened.

Hopefully you will knock it over and then it will be mop up time.:P

1 minute ago, Okanagancook said:

Hopefully you will knock it over and then it will be mop up time.:P

I am thinking if it is not visited by a  wizard overnight,  I might treat it as a partially made soup and add some interesting ingredients to it. Damn it took me nearly 2 hours to make it so I don't want to pour it down the drain if I can rescue it. There are also 2 cups of wine in there!  ( I made a half recipe). 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

Caramelized onion – tomato soup with Jarlsberg Croutons. It is from the book Pooles: Recipes and Stories from a Modern Diner. I found it online through Lucky Peach. For a relatively simple final soup the steps to making it are quite complex. The onions, the canned tomatoes and even the broth are each cooked separately before being combined.  For the amount of time and effort taken it was extremely disappointing. Was it me? Was it my ingredients? I honestly don't know.  There was more than enough for one meal so I have stuck the remainder in the refrigerator hoping by tomorrow something magical will have happened.  I am not in the least bit hopeful. If anyone else has attempted this soup I would love to hear your opinion.  

Maybe it's just me but that combination of ingredients just doesn't sound very good together.

• 2 weeks later...

We are supposed to get a cool down here beginning later today...I stocked up on onions as I am craving French onion soup which will be made today to be consumed this weekend.  Some fresh thyme and a touch of fresh tarragon as well as both beef and chicken broth go into mine as I was taught while working at The Chequit.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Oooooohhh...if that was my establishment, I'd have to start a home-delivery service just so I could call it "Chequit At the Door."

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Just checking in.  Nothing new or exciting made...but as usual lots of soup for winter suppers.  Batches go into the freezer.

DH has made his Potato Soup and also a Beef Barley Soup.  And I've made Bean Soup and Chicken Soup (mostly thanks to Martha Stewart's recipe).  We already have a batch of Harira.

So we are set for a few weeks of soup eating. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

Oooooohhh...if that was my establishment, I'd have to start a home-delivery service just so I could call it "Chequit At the Door."

There's a town a couple of hours from me called Helena. I always wanted to start a catering service specializing in picnics, and call it "Helena Handbasket."

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Cream of (orange) cauliflower soup with parmesan (recipe from Rockpool in Sydney, found on Eat Your Books). I love this soup! Very tasty thanks to the browned cauliflower, and a bit of Dijon mustard & parmesan cheese.

Cream of (orange) cauliflower soup with parmesan

• Like 4

Cauliflower and clam soup.  Surprisingly good.  It was a variation on a recipe (from Great Soup Empty Bowls by Jamie Kennedy) due to availability of ingredients.

Used canned clams and chopped them up so they weren't rubbery; pureed cauliflower soup thickened with rice and small florets of cauliflower reserved to add back after puree for some texture and crispened homemade pancetta for the top, oh and some Franks Hot Sauce because I put that..........

Sorry no picture mainly because it ain't pretty.

• Like 1

Modernist caramelized carrot soup. It caramelized so well that I had to bin it - I just couldn't stand the strong butterscotch flavor in a soup!

Here it is before I blended it. I had to remove a lot of the butter because it was really too much.

Modernist caramelized carrot soup

• Like 1

Watercress soup (soup de cresson tourangelle). Recipe by Anne Willan in The Country Cooking of France. Comfort food.

This has potato but is on the lighter side because it's diluted with milk and water (or broth). A touch of crème fraiche gives it a nice tangy flavor.

Watercress soup (soupe de cresson tourangelle)

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Modernist caramelized carrot soup. It caramelized so well that I had to bin it - I just couldn't stand the strong butterscotch flavor in a soup!

Here it is before I blended it. I had to remove a lot of the butter because it was really too much.

Modernist caramelized carrot soup

I tried the carrot soup also and found it way too sweet.  I couldn't eat it either.

Just now, ElsieD said:

I tried the carrot soup also and found it way too sweet.  I couldn't eat it either.

The funny thing is that I made it and liked it in the past, but it was a lot less caramelized then.

Vegetable beef soup. 1 pound stew beef, a diced onion, three pints of home-canned tomatoes, a cup of beef broth, two bags of frozen mixed vegetables, seasoned with a little thyme and some marjoram, along with salt and pepper and a healthy shot of Worcestershire sauce.

soup n pcheese.jpg

Served with pimiento cheese on wheat Ritz crackers.

So, it was 75 degrees in the middle of February. When you want vegetable soup, you want vegetable soup.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com