• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2012)

ddelima

I have, for the last month or so, used Black Copper Maran eggs.

011.JPG

I can get them through my food co-op for $6 a dozen, vs. $3.50 to $4 a dozen for farm eggs. They're good -- but I'm not certain I can tell THAT much difference in them and regular farm eggs. Sure are pretty, though.

Some breakfasts using same:

DSC_0069.JPG

Smashed potato, cheese grits, bacon and two BCM's over easy.

DSC_0073.JPG

Sweet potato latke, country sausage, BCMs over easy.

DSC_0061.JPG

Yet another attempt at gluten-free pigs in blankets, baked in the silicone baking pan I procured expressly for that purpose.

Edited to fix photos. Yet again.

Edited by kayb (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I would happily eat all these breakfasts :raz:

I don't know why this works, but it does. It's less "fiddly" than cutting the fat into the dry ingredients and one doesn't need a food processor or pastry cutter for that matter.

Thanks, Andie. I'll give it a try. Although I need to sub buttermilk because it's not available around here. Maybe I can use the fermented milk, north African style which is, instead, readily available.

Percyn, did I tell you already how much I love your eggs?

Thanks Franci. I would gladly trade you some eggs for those wonderful creations of yours on the dinner thread!

Great breakfasts all!

Over the weekend I cooked a Parsi Nowruz feast for a dozen or so friends. One of the must have courses is egg, so I made them Akoori.

This is the leftover I had for breakfast.

DSCN0335-1200.jpg

Thanks for the good wishes – we are back from our trip and had a wonderful time!

Andie – the texture of your scones is just lovely!

Stash – gorgeous tortilla!

Kay – how did you do your GF piggies? I have a niece who might like them.

Bruce and percyn make the most beautiful eggs on earth :wub: !

I don't know why this works, but it does. It's less "fiddly" than cutting the fat into the dry ingredients and one doesn't need a food processor or pastry cutter for that matter.

Thanks, Andie. I'll give it a try. Although I need to sub buttermilk because it's not available around here. Maybe I can use the fermented milk, north African style which is, instead, readily available.

Just mix some lemon juice or vinegar into regular milk and allow it to set at room temp for 30 minutes.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks for the kind words Kim and glad you enjoyed your trip.

Today, I made another Parsi style egg, called Sali per Edu (Egg on Potato Sticks). The contains the same ingredients as the Akoori, plus the potato sticks. You can also make this with potato chips (wafers).

DSCN0345.JPG

Kim, I have not yet found a mix I like for the "blankets." you will, though, have to find a baking pan to bake the little darlings in, because the bread dough for every GF.thing I've made is too thin to do anything but spoon in a mold. I found this one at cookware.com, I think.

Will pass it along if-when I find a decent recipe.

Don't ask. Eat it.

Wow! those baked eggs look exceptional.

Im hoping you might share more details on how they were made.

and indeed, that is the $$$$ shot!

Hi rotuts, thank you so much. I used an Emeril recipe here, although I shortened the 2nd cooking time somewhat, to keep the yolk runny like I like it.

Edited to add: I used leftover roast pork on the bottom, instead of ham, and used a four cheese blend for the top.

Edited by robirdstx (log)

Kim – Thank you very much, but you are way too kind.

percyn – Those mushrooms look outstanding!

robirdstx – Must. Try. Baked. Eggs.

Slow-scrambled eggs with leftover pit beef, enchilada sauce, and a dash of ghost chile sauce, with a toasted English muffin.

p159504677-4.jpg

Franci, what is the fermented African milk called? They just started selling something called "Laban" in the milk section where I live in Italy, and a quick google said it was buttermilk. The ingredients say "latte fermentato" though. I don't even think I know what that is, to be honest!

Edited by ambra (log)

Kay, would you like an all-cornmeal recipe for blankies? Rollable, handleable, bakes easily on silpats....

PC, I would love one! I made some with cornbread that were decent, but don't reheat well. I like to make a batch on the weekend and take them to work during the week.

Don't ask. Eat it.

Franci, what is the fermented African milk called? They just started selling something called "Laban" in the milk section where I live in Italy, and a quick google said it was buttermilk. The ingredients say "latte fermentato" though. I don't even think I know what that is, to be honest!

Good question. So, I went on the website of Candia the milk producer and noticed they have two products: Leben (fermented milk)and Raib (soured milk). I would still use leben in place of milk and lemon or vinegar. I've also seen a lot of people using Kefir instead of buttermilk.

Kay, would you like an all-cornmeal recipe for blankies? Rollable, handleable, bakes easily on silpats....

PC, I would love one! I made some with cornbread that were decent, but don't reheat well. I like to make a batch on the weekend and take them to work during the week.

OK. Start by going out to your local Latin American grocery, and look for gold Masarepa. This is a type of finely-ground, pre-cooked cornmeal that's essential to the recipe. If you can't find it, you won't be able to make the blankies. Doñarepa Extra Fina is a very good brand from Colombia that I know is exported to the US.

ETA - if you find Doñarepa, you'll actually find a very similar recipe printed on the bag, in both Spanish and English!

1 C Masarepa

1 C Warm milk (or water; milk is better)

1 Tsp Butter

pinch of salt

1 Egg

About 1/4 lb queso fresco, ricotta, or drained cottage cheese, crumbled.

* optional * some finely chopped green onions.

--

1. Put the masarepa in a bowl, and slowly, stirring often, add the warm milk. Once it's completely blended, add the butter and salt. Knead until you've got a soft dough. You can't overwork the masa, so don't worry about that.

2. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes (this softens the cornmeal and makes for a better adhesion of the dough)

3. Add the egg and cheese and knead until well combined. The dough should be soft, but stiff enough to form into shapes.

4. Shape the blankies, and roll the piggies into them.

Now, traditionally what you've done is stuffed an arepa with a sausage; if you want to continue to be traditional, you cook these on a lightly oiled griddle of some sort (very traditionally, a hot unglazed clay tablet). You can also fry them in shallow oil until the masa crisps up and turns an appealing golden colour.

With the cheese in the dough, these reheat beautifully.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Shoot, just realized. That recipe is adapted for high altitudes - if you're closer to sea level (provided you don't live in a desert), you can use slightly less liquid. Which is to say, if you make the recipe as stated and the masa turns out too gooey to handle, add a bit more masarepa to it until it stiffens up, and next time cut back your milk by about 1/3 to 1/4 cup.

Also, thinking on the whole GF issue and shapeable doughs, you might want to check out green plantains (method here), and semiripe to ripe plantains (method here) as an alternative. Those methods both deal with dough for stuffing (ie empanada-type thingies), but with a touch of baking powder they can also be formed into buns and baked (particularly the semiripe plantain dough). Plantain flour should be available in any Asian or Latin grocery. These doughs have the added advantage of being fat-free.

I'll also take a boo 'round my recipe collection for Panes de Yuca (manioc and cheese buns), another GF specialty from the Andes.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)