• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2012)

ddelima

Soba - those morel dishes look divinely delicious.

KA – I’d love some directions for your toad in the hole – it is the best looking version I’ve ever seen!

Why Kim, thank you. You are such a deliverer of good looking meals that is quite a compliment to receive.

It started as a recipe for popover batter from Joy of Cooking but it morphed a bit due to childhood memories, and preferences. Costco sausages, baked in the pan (with a little bacon grease to start them off & keep them from sticking), til partially cooked - maybe 10 min at temp, poked the sausages to release a bit more grease.

Made the batter in the meantime. Added Coleman's dry prepared mustard and thyme to the flour before mixing in the liquids.

Poured the batter into the hot pan, around the sausages, and baked until done (by eye and nose).

I'll look up JOC measurements, temps, times.

Thank goodness baked things smell done. The munchkin is a master of it. I didnt trust her, and I think it was a bit overcooked.

If you are interested, BBC GoodFood (online) has a recipe for onion gravy to go with the toad.

Edited by Kouign Aman (log)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Bruce – your shirred eggs look great. I’m thinking of possibly doing them for Mother’s day brunch.

percyn – that Texas French toast sandwich looks like the perfect weekend breakfast to me! Everything breakfast should be – egg, pork, bread and FRIED! (Well, looking ahead at KA’s eggs and spuds, it IS missing potatoes).

KA – thank you – that would be great to get the amounts and all. I’d love to make this for my English stepdad, Ted. And thanks for showing me the way to BBC Good Food. How an anglophile like me has missed that site, I don’t know. I’m going to have so much fun there!

Mr. Kim’s breakfast this morning:

med_gallery_3331_117_384317.jpg

A frittata made with bok choy, tomatoes, Portabella mushrooms and onions. Served with ham:

med_gallery_3331_117_253419.jpg

Thank you to Kouign Aman for the inspiration and the details! Mr. Kim LOVED this!

Found quail eggs at the Farmers' Market the other day, and made Scotch eggs, with fresh pork sausage from my CSA. Excellent with a squiggle of honey mustard.

A dozen of the little darlings in my 1 1/2 quart saucepan.

DSC_0035.JPG

Wrapping in sausage.

DSC_0038.JPG

Done.

DSC_0043.JPG

Edited by kayb (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

PC – I cannot imagine how delicious fresh-candied figs must be!

Kate – what lovely color you get using the beetroot! Do you actually taste it, or is it really just for color?

Kay – I love your adorable little Scotch eggs! I imagine that the ratio of egg to sausage meat is perfect with eggs that size. I always think there is a bit too much egg in a regular Scotch egg.

My breakfast this morning:

med_gallery_3331_117_120850.jpg

Toast from Society Fair in Old Town, Alexandria w/ some strawberry freezer jam that I made. I picked up the strawberries on the way home from NC Monday. They were local and so ripe that I had to do something with them immediately. I think it turned out overly sweet. It tasted good to me, but my mother said that she’d probably use it for ice cream rather than as jam.

PC -- I have access to a friend's very prolific fig tree. Inquiring minds would love to have a recipe for candying figs. Can they be preserved as candied, or must they be eaten quickly?

Don't ask. Eat it.

I'll start a new thread on it, kay. They can be held for extended periods of time so long as they're fully covered in their syrup; my friend Clemencia hot-cans hers in order to have them even when figs are out of season.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

PC, thanks for the other-thread candied figs directions. Duly copied and saved, and waiting for the figs to ripen.

Kim, to my mind, quail eggs are perfect for Scotch eggs. Maybe I'm too heavy-handed with sausage, but my regular egg ones don't get done to my liking. I've had success with guinea eggs, though. Getting another dozen quail eggs at the FM this weekend to make another batch; and I have to take one to the quail-egg vendor, who had never heard of such.

I finally got to cook a breakfast this past weekend, for the first time in a good while:

003.JPG

Fried potatos, duck eggs, bacon, fresh tomatos. Held me over for the better portion of Sunday, it did.

Edited by kayb (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

Kay, great idea to make the mini-scotch eggs.

This weekend's breakfasts:

Stepford bacon, fried eggs, english muffins, and choice of chocolate berry jellies - Jackie's Jam (Chocolate strawberry) is locally made and a favorite of himself and the munchkin. I prefer the tarter raspberry cocoa jelly given us by my SIL, although I'm not thrilled with it either, so I used it up later that day, making chocolate topped tarts for work.

2012-04-28 breaky.jpg jam resp cocoa.jpg

Scrambled eggs with extra-sharp cheddar cheese (cooked by the munchkin!!! :proud mama icon:),

today's jelly is black current which I made from black current juice sold at Trader Joe's for a brief time.

Black current is my favorite.

2012-04-29 breaky.jpg

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Mike – that is a lovely breakfast and a beautiful, beautiful photo!

KA – I’d be thrilled to know if you ever find any chocolate/cocoa and fruit spread that you really like. We’ve tried a couple and found them just ok – it seems like a genius idea, but hard to execute, I guess!

Mr. Kim’s breakfast this morning:

med_gallery_3331_117_143661.jpg

Baked eggs w/ ham. Mine was a sorta croque madame:

med_gallery_3331_117_33868.jpg

med_gallery_3331_117_65116.jpg

Ham and Jarlsberg on a bialy w/ a fried egg.

More like brunch, but I made my son a scrambled egg and cheese sandwich on an everything foccacia roll from the Farmers' Market:

001.JPG

Sorry for the blurry photo; my camera decided it wanted to shoot at 1/4 second, and I could NOT make it change its mind!

I had a fairly complex breakfast...guacamole and bacon over tomatos, with duck eggs over rice tortitas. (I was looking for a new starch, else be assured I'd have had the other half of the kid's foccacia, gluten be damned!)

004.JPG

I used the technique discussed upthread for cooking the eggs over low heat (in butter and truffle oil) until the whites were no longer transparent, but not completely set, then turning up to medium low, adding a bit of water, and covering to steam done. Perfect. Will never do them any other way.

Money shot:

007.JPG

Don't ask. Eat it.

French Toast (for her) and Chorizo French Toast (for me). For the chorizo toast I used the new recipe just published by the Modernst Cuisine. While I liked the flavor of the chorizo/milk infusion I didn't care much for the amount of liquid the toast retained in the middle. I am certain that a vacuum chamber would resolve this problem. Nevertheless if you are looking for something different you should try it.

photo-12-L.jpg

photo-13-L.jpg

Xilimmns – beautiful French toast

Kim – I was tempted to make your baked eggs again this morning, but opted instead to clean out the vegetable drawer, leading to:

Parsi scrambled eggs on toast, with ghee, onion, chiles, garlic paste, cilantro, and fenugreek leaves.

p613582953-4.jpg

We are on vacation down the shore at our place in Wildwood Crest, NJ. Breakfast starts with coffee and a book on the balcony then ... the first day down was a Denver sandwich(ham, red pepper, onion and egg) on toast, the next two days were yoghurt or cottage cheese and fruit, today was leftover fried flounder and twice baked potato from dinner last night. We ate at a local hangout and had some of the best food in ages. Seriously thin crusted fried flounder that had me crying - and i've had it for dinner twice in 5 days. Back to yoghurt and cottaged cheese with fruit for the next few days

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Requeson revuelto con salsa de jitomate (ricotta scrambled with tomato sauce) - a loose interpretation because I have been making this a long time, with fried white onion, garlic, and salsa. Corn tortillas warmed over the fire, and a splash of ghost chile sauce.

p402907475-4.jpg

Looks amazing, Bruce. I like your unconventional breakfasts.

Speaking of, this might not be everyone's idea of breakfast fare, but I liked it; a rye cracker, smeared with avocado, salt, pepper and lemon juice, and topped with octopus, preserved with olive oil and garlic.

2012-05-20 at 09.27.58.jpg

Bruce – great idea with the ricotta, tomato sauce and a dash of chile sauce.

RRO – Avocado and octopus topped with lime juice must have been a nice treat.

Kayb – Wow, the color on that egg is so intense!

I found fresh morels yesterday at the Detroit Eastern Market and couldn’t resist the temptation. Today I made Omelet with Morels in Cream Sauce.

462195_10150846850794983_728274982_9754172_1070976529_o.jpg

Kate – Thank you, and likewise – octopus, avocado, and rye sounds like a perfect breakfast

Xilimmns – Beautiful omelet, and morels in cream sauce must have been a delightful filling

Leftover spicy burger, fried egg (cayenne, S&P), fried tortilla, and Red Death Ghost Chile sauce. That should hold me until dinner.

p345209825-4.jpg