• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Unacceptable Price Thread

rane008

I do a lot of my shopping at a discount grocers (a chain ironically owned by a big name more expensive grocery chain). In the cheaper grocery store, they will sell rotisserie chickens for $5.99. But if I go to the big name more expensive grocery chain, they sell the same chicken for 2 bucks more. WTF? :blink:

Or I can just go to Costco and get their freakishly large rotisserie chickens for the same price as the discount grocery chain (which offers a much smaller bird).

It's as if the stores don't realize that we comparison shop these days so they think they can charge whatever they want. Well, I ain't buyin' it in more ways than one. :wink:

Is it Food for Less vs. Ralphs? If so, you're paying for atmosphere too.

No. Though all of the major grocery chains seem to own discount grocery chains. The store I frequent is FoodMaxx, owned by the Save Mart grocery chain. Save Mart is a central California chain, so you may not have heard of them.

You're right about atmosphere. The atmosphere inside Food Maxx is depressingly "ghetto" (I actually overheard two Food Maxx customers talking about the store and one said "I admit I'm pretty ghetto, but this store makes me look like I'm Neiman-Marcus").

I will never forget my shock at seeing Ralph's delivery trucks in the Food for Less loading docks. It was eye opening, to say the least.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

Rotuts: "I do it this way: If its not on sale, then why pay the more expensive price? it true from time to time you need to pay full retail, but its not hard to look at the 'weekly ads' and see what's on sale and use that as the basis of what you will (mostly) cook."

I've tried this several times, and every time I have to say it's a fail for me. I'm sure if you're older and/or just a more organized person that me, it might work out but I can't even plan my meal for tomorrow night let alone the whole week of meals. I'm always gogogogogoing no time to plan hardly time to shop.

Anyway, I've actually notices a decrease in the price of avocados in the past year. Is that because they're becoming less trendy or some other reason? They used to be as much as 2 for $6 in some places near me, but now I never see them more than 2 for $4 and usually 2 for $3.

Yesterday I saw organic valley organic butter (just a basic organic brand, not local or flavored, or from special cows or anything) that was almost $9 for four sticks.