• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Question about dried bean varieties

SpaghettiWestern

Kayb and Heidih- you are both correct. I appologize for confusion- these are older symbols which I remember seeing in cookbooks when I was young, so I still use them in my notes (from which I copy-pasted the recipe before translating it to english).

Edited to add- Kayb, maybe disolving a small piece of boullion cube in the reserved cooking water before adding it to the dish would be OK substitute.

Edited by Wolf (log)

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde

I can't answer for the US, but in Canada you can find Vegeta at any Superstore in the seasonings section, near the bottled spices, Maggi, etc.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 years later...

Ceci Neri are new to me and very good. When unfamiliar I make a 1/4 or 1/3rd pound to test the cooking time and taste. Add the time to the rest of the bag. Had some with an avocado brunch salad. Then a dinner pesto, and a noodle bowl. Nice to have some meaty little gems with a spoon and broth after the chopstick part of the meal.1808698961_RGBLACKGARBANZOS.thumb.png.2ebe07fae193c88683122d295f443b8b.png

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

Just got the e-mail RG bean club, lol. No issues but have so many in back-up pantry. I have a nice soup on the back burner using some nice beans I simmered yesterday. 

Humus tomorrow. 

Black garbanzos and all will be in tonights soup. 

IMG_2369.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Annie_H said:

Just got the e-mail RG bean club, lol. No issues but have so many in back-up pantry. I have a nice soup on the back burner using some nice beans I simmered yesterday. 

Humus tomorrow. 

Black garbanzos and all will be in tonights soup. 

IMG_2369.jpeg

I too received the dreaded email.  Christmas limas pressure cooking at the moment.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

They are all so good. Only one in 4-5 years was a struggle to cook. For a tiny black bean it needed more time than expected. 

I think I'll spice and roast the rest of the garbanzos. And soak some more. Looking at falafel recipes for tomorrow. I get my garbanzos from Palouse so I have about 4 pounds left from the 5 lb bag.

What I do love is gifting but I've not been very social. 2018 I gifted my favorites. Corona, the little green flagoletes, and the Christmas limas for color---using the free shipping code. They all joined and thankful when we went into lockdown. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

I'm not sure if we've discussed the heirloom beans grown by Charley Baer.  He carries a bunch of common beans, but specializes in New England heirlooms,  e.g. Soldier; King of the Early; Marfax; Yellow-Eye. The brand is known to people who frequent farmer's markets in Maine, Massachusetts, and NH; but now have a functional mail-order system (you used to call and have a delightful conversation with a woman who had an old-timey Maine accent, I could've talked with her for days).

Anyway,  they're going to be profiled this Saturday on a New Hampshire PBS show called "Preserving New England", I thought folks here might be interested.  

https://nhpbs.org/schedule/summary.aspx?progId=WeekendswithYankee605&fbclid=IwAR0qbZVITiWkvfsz60d0sHKuiQj-15g9qXA3gDjd3OyMLXsjj8JHjuDpZOI

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

Another bean club on its way. Pre-covid not an issue as I always used doubles or extras for gifting. Last summer I used the free shipping code and stocked up on my favorite flageolet and corona. Nice summer bean salads. That put me over the edge of stocked pantry beans. 

Made a nice fresh corn and bean salad tonight,-- fresh basil, using RG creamy limas and vaquero that have a gorgeous blk/white cow print. Their liquor gets merky dull purple grey about 15-20 minutes into cooking. Most beans lose their colors after cooking. I'm thinking about keeping a hot kettle on the back burner and draining the murky water with fresh hot. Sure the cooking water has flavor but for a summer bean salad might be nice to embrace and preserve the white/black. The only other one that keeps the color that I know of is yellow eye.

Broth water I can add to pups food me thinks. Not something I usually save for our meals/soups. But do us it if freezing grains and beans for later soups---use it as a wet broth so it freezes better having liquid in the pint/1/2 pint. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 12.45.30 PM.png

• Like 3