• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do they do that? (the bonbon thread)

kevnick80

On 4 June 2017 at 0:49 AM, Tri2Cook said:

I've wanted to borrow (ok, steal) that one since you first posted the pictures. I really like it. Amazon Canada finally made the little strainers available here not too long ago. They're significantly more expensive on Canadian amazon (a set of 10 for $46 compared to $11 for the same 10 on U.S. amazon) but if I can eventually get a result anywhere close to what you get, it'll be worth it.

Even if Amazon Canada is your 'home Amazon' you might find that you can also log in to Amazon USA with the same ID and password.  This will allow you to buy products at Amazon US prices even though carriage fees might be higher.  Amazon UK is my 'home Amazon' but using the same ID etc I often log in to Amazon France if I want a French film sending to me in the UK; I also log into Amazon US if I want something sending to me in the UK perhaps not released in Europe.  

Might be be worth trying to order direct via Amazon US if your item is significantly cheaper there?  I can't see any legality problems, you are using the same log in credentials.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DianaB said:

Even if Amazon Canada is your 'home Amazon' you might find that you can also log in to Amazon USA with the same ID and password.  This will allow you to buy products at Amazon US prices even though carriage fees might be higher.  Amazon UK is my 'home Amazon' but using the same ID etc I often log in to Amazon France if I want a French film sending to me in the UK; I also log into Amazon US if I want something sending to me in the UK perhaps not released in Europe.  

Might be be worth trying to order direct via Amazon US if your item is significantly cheaper there?  I can't see any legality problems, you are using the same log in credentials.

A few things on U.S. amazon will ship to Canada but most won't. They'll let you add it to the cart and go through the whole checkout process until the very end... and then give you a message saying "this item does not ship to your location". This is one of those items that will not. Not a big deal though, I'm not in a hurry. I have enough things I need to practice at the more basic end of the spraying cocoa butter scale at this point. 

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

45 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

A few things on U.S. amazon will ship to Canada but most won't. They'll let you add it to the cart and go through the whole checkout process until the very end... and then give you a message saying "this item does not ship to your location". This is one of those items that will not. Not a big deal though, I'm not in a hurry. I have enough things I need to practice at the more basic end of the spraying cocoa butter scale at this point. 

I noticed recently when I try to do this I immediately get a warning that the items cannot be shipped to me. Saves me going through the whole show. But the other thing to keep in mind that the words "free-trade" mean very little. I have been dinged for customs duties!  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

41 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I noticed recently when I try to do this I immediately get a warning that the items cannot be shipped to me. Saves me going through the whole show. But the other thing to keep in mind that the words "free-trade" mean very little. I have been dinged for customs duties!  

Maybe they're giving the warnings earlier in the process now, it's been a while since I tried ordering anything on U.S. amazon. That would definitely be more convenient.

Yeah, I sometimes get hit for duties on orders from the U.S. even when it's something that should be covered under the "free-trade" thing. It seems pretty random sometimes even on the percentage charged. 

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

14 hours ago, Eureka said:

Hi. Im Chef Eureka an instructor at the Academy Of Pastry Arts India.

I came across this beautiful bonbon but cant break my head enough to knoq how this technique of design is done. This bonbon was designed by chef Andrey Dubovik. Any idea how he has executed this design???Screenshot_20170610-230804.thumb.png.0657ed48c2211239fd4ed333f59ca54c.png

Similar to the other post above yours regarding Andrey Dubovik's work, I think this one is done by several blasts of compressed air aimed at the center of the mold cavity to create a concentric web-type pattern.  I've been meaning to play around with the technique but the humidity here has been crazy.

5 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

A few things on U.S. amazon will ship to Canada but most won't. They'll let you add it to the cart and go through the whole checkout process until the very end... and then give you a message saying "this item does not ship to your location". 

I have a PO box in Calais, ME, for that very reason. 

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

44 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I have a PO box in Calais, ME, for that very reason. 

Only practical if you live near a border crossing.  

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

True enough. Though as far as that goes, I usually only go over 3 or 4 times a year. Having something to pick up pretty much determines when I'll go. :)

I should clarify that it's not a true PO box but merely a disposable mailing address through ACE Hardware there, so it doesn't cost me anything. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-04-13 at 9:59 PM, kevnick80 said:

What about this? How would these be recreated?

IMG_0926.PNG

These chocolates are so neat! I love seeing the fantastically creative designs other chocolatiers come up with. I am constantly torn between the old fashioned natural chocolate look and then the newer, modern cocoa butter painted masterpieces. I think my ideal selection would have a bit of both. Balance.

I feel like decoration above would be easier if you could get custom stickers made in that shape and size (ones that do not leave a sticky reside and peel off easily - the glue would probably have to be considered food safe too, but I have no idea if masking tape is either). I think it would take way too much time to cut pieces of tape if you wanted to do a large amount. But I will definitely be trying it at home with masking tape. :) 

• Like 1

- Christy -

"My rule is to welcome you with hospitality and to send you away in peace." - The Deserts Fathers

• 3 months later...
52 minutes ago, minas6907 said:

If anyone has any insight into the above post, I'd also be interested. It's a pretty clever technique, I'm surprised at how even a coat of luster is put onto the bonbon, I'd love to know how that was achieved.

And does it come off on your hands? I've found that with the external applications I have seen (and felt), the luster ends up on one's fingers. That's why I have given up that technique. Maybe the example referred to has a different technique.

Minas, where have you been all these months?!  You do such beautiful (and photogenic) work that you were an inspiration.

22 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Minas, where have you been all these months?!  You do such beautiful (and photogenic) work that you were an inspiration.

Thank you so much, thats very kind of you! I've just been busy with work and life in general (It's amazing how busy one becomes after marriage). Maybe it sounds a bit lame, but another reason is that I seldom have time to be on a desktop browsing the forum. I tried it on a mobile and didnt really like it. Then I got Tapatalk, which worked for some time, then stopped altogether, but maybe I'll try an internet browser on my mobile again. Thanks for asking!

47 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

And does it come off on your hands? I've found that with the external applications I have seen (and felt), the luster ends up on one's fingers. That's why I have given up that technique. Maybe the example referred to has a different technique.

It doesn't appear to come off on his hands.  He's done quite a few of the truffles and his hands don't look like they have any gold  on them.  You can see his fingers when he puts the truffle on the tray that they don't appear to have any of the dust on them .

I was watching that video again. I remember seeing this on instagram a long time ago and was very intrigued. Umm, call me crazy however, but would that be gold luster mixed with ground coffee? It just seemed to be that consistency, different sized granules, and obviously wouldn't stick to the bonbon. At first I was thinking of cocoa powder, but it would be all over the place, and probably cover the shine of the luster. Honestly, I'm not in a position right now to test this out, but if it sounds plausible to someone else, and your willing to try, I'd love to hear about the result. Perhaps a kosher salt would give the same result.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Found this on a recent insta-excursion:

They mention a "chocolate flour mixture"  - is that cocoa powder or cocoa powder mixed with flour (though I have no idea what purpose that would serve)?  Luster dust mixed with cocoa powder?  Would dry luster dust create that coating or is it something else?

Edited by Bentley (log)