• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do they do that? (the bonbon thread)

kevnick80

@a_pinch_of Looking at that instagram feed, I have two theories - the first is that there's just a heavy instagram filter being used. The second is perhaps the product is being frozen? There's what appears to be moisture on some of the chocolates in some of the pictures, freeze/thaw may adversely effect shine perhaps?

• Like 2

@keychris thanks for the suggestions. If either is the case then it looks like an accident rather than deliberate that they have a matt finish. I'm still going to have a try to recreate because even if this was not her intent I still quite like the muted look. I'll let you know if I get anything even remotely worth showing anyone 

• Like 1

Got it on the first one. White spray through Ateco Tip #33, then regular finger swiped swirls. You may remember when I was spraying through all sorts of gadgets and tools to create stencils. They always gave fuzzy effect like that and slightly warped spray since the stencil wasn't against the polycarb. Thanks for creating this topic. Love it.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

Got it on the first one. White spray through Ateco Tip #33, then regular finger swiped swirls. You may remember when I was spraying through all sorts of gadgets and tools to create stencils. They always gave fuzzy effect like that and slightly warped spray since the stencil wasn't against the polycarb. Thanks for creating this topic. Love it.

Interesting. Sounds like you would start with the tip close to the bottom of the cavity and draw it out as you spray?   I will have to do some playing around with this.  

Edited by Bentley (log)

8 hours ago, Bentley said:

Interesting. Sounds like you would start with the tip close to the bottom of the cavity and draw it out as you spray?   I will have to do some playing around with this.  

I don't think you move it at all. Too cumbersome and the you lose control of the spray.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Daniel D said:

Alright, anyone have ideas on the technique for this design?

That seems to be Andrey's signature design.  I see it a lot on his Instagram.  I think Kerry is pretty close on this one.  I would have guessed sponge painting and then compressed air.  The good news is that he has an online chocolate course and this bonbon is one of the lessons. :)

• Like 1

On 5/16/2017 at 11:12 PM, gfron1 said:

@gfron1 Did you get this one to work?  How did you attach the tip to the airbrush?  I can't find a way to do it that doesn't just create a big puddle of color in the mold.  I've tried a couple airbrushes.  The first is a basic badger 250 - the way that one is made, the siphon nozzle is in front of the air nozzle and there is no way to get the #33 tip on.  I also tried a Badger 360 but didn't do much better.    I would think that the airbrush needs to be seated close to the #33 tip's star opening, but I can't get my airbrushes to set up that way.  I'm curious how you did it.  

1 minute ago, Bentley said:

@gfron1 Did you get this one to work?  How did you attach the tip to the airbrush?  I can't find a way to do it that doesn't just create a big puddle of color in the mold.  I've tried a couple airbrushes.  The first is a basic badger 250 - the way that one is made, the siphon nozzle is in front of the air nozzle and there is no way to get the #33 tip on.  I also tried a Badger 360 but didn't do much better.    I would think that the airbrush needs to be seated close to the #33 tip's star opening, but I can't get my airbrushes to set up that way.  I'm curious how you did it.  

Why do I think there were pictures somewhere when he was doing this stuff?

10 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Why do I think there were pictures somewhere when he was doing this stuff?

He did reference some earlier experiments spraying through different tools and gadgets, but I have not been able to figure out which thread that was.

1 minute ago, Bentley said:

He did reference some earlier experiments spraying through different tools and gadgets, but I have not been able to figure out which thread that was.

yeah, I have no idea where those would be. My guess would be the showroom finish thread. And to answer your question I tried to replicate and got pretty close. Very delicate tap to spray with nozzle shoved in tip.

4 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

yeah, I have no idea where those would be. My guess would be the showroom finish thread. And to answer your question I tried to replicate and got pretty close. Very delicate tap to spray with nozzle shoved in tip.

Can't find it on the Curious Blogsquat, which is where I went looking

Just now, Kerry Beal said:

Can't find it on the Curious Blogsquat, which is where I went looking

I know I didn't post it there. And I see my pics on the other thread are mostly dead links - damn! I'll go dig it up from Instagram and upload the picture properly.

11 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

The way my airbrushes are designed, I can't shove them into the tip.  Need a different airbrush - or maybe ct down the back end of the tip.  I'm on a mission :)

This one is spraying through a standard cooling rack laid on top of my mold: Yellow backsprayed white12556066_223969391279189_277028708_n.jpg.3f86e9b6b1ae91c39ddd74db5f329abe.jpg

This is the one I mentioned: Yellow sprayed through Asian mesh strainer, backsprayed green.

12132681_1647557002190127_1716681272_n.jpg

Edited by gfron1 (log)
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, gfron1 said:

This is the one I mentioned: Yellow sprayed through Asian mesh strainer, backsprayed green.

12132681_1647557002190127_1716681272_n.jpg

I've wanted to borrow (ok, steal) that one since you first posted the pictures. I really like it. Amazon Canada finally made the little strainers available here not too long ago. They're significantly more expensive on Canadian amazon (a set of 10 for $46 compared to $11 for the same 10 on U.S. amazon) but if I can eventually get a result anywhere close to what you get, it'll be worth it.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Hi. Im Chef Eureka an instructor at the Academy Of Pastry Arts India.

I came across this beautiful bonbon but cant break my head enough to knoq how this technique of design is done. This bonbon was designed by chef Andrey Dubovik. Any idea how he has executed this design???Screenshot_20170610-230804.thumb.png.0657ed48c2211239fd4ed333f59ca54c.png

8 hours ago, Eureka said:

Hi. Im Chef Eureka an instructor at the Academy Of Pastry Arts India.

I came across this beautiful bonbon but cant break my head enough to knoq how this technique of design is done. This bonbon was designed by chef Andrey Dubovik. Any idea how he has executed this design???

Welcome Chef Eureka! It looks like a post above where we believe a blast from an air compressor was used to spread the cocoa butter. BTW, in the past I've tried this technique and my compressor wasn't strong enough so I used canned air (the stuff used to clean inside keyboards). I didn't serve those because I vaguely remember there being a chemical involved.