• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
NancyH

Heirloom Beans by Rancho Gordo (Steve_Sando)

Steve- can you tell us more about your upcoming book?

Well, I tried to add the Amazon link, but something seems to have happened. I'll monitor it, and put in the link if the info comes back up.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

It's a recipe book, but we've listed substitutions if you can't find that exact bean. The introduction is by Thomas Keller of the French Laundry. I thought I'd give him a break and help him out with a little promotion! Some of the recipes are from my restaurant customers like Manresa, Range, Blue Hill at Stonebarns and some are original, from my kitchen and some by Vanessa Barrington. We chose not to make it Mexican even though there is a lot of Mexican and Latin included. There's a lot of theory on cooking beans (including The Parson's Method from our own Russ) and an entry on how to reinvent a pot of beans. I'm pretty pleased with the way it came out.

Amazon seems nutty today but it's on Barnes and Noble and smaller bookstores seem to have it already.

Word comes back that shipping notices have been received and smaller bookstores actually have it in stock.

Help is on the way!

It's a recipe book, but we've listed substitutions if you can't find that exact bean. The introduction is by Thomas Keller of the French Laundry. I thought I'd give him a break and help him out with a little promotion! Some of the recipes are from my restaurant customers like Manresa, Range, Blue Hill at Stonebarns and some are original, from my kitchen and some by Vanessa Barrington. We chose not to make it Mexican even though there is a lot of Mexican and Latin included. There's a lot of theory on cooking beans (including The Parson's Method from our own Russ) and an entry on how to reinvent a pot of beans. I'm pretty pleased with the way it came out.

Amazon seems nutty today but it's on Barnes and Noble and smaller bookstores seem to have it already.

I just ordered a copy through amazon.co.uk You try my beans, I'll try yours.

My book arrived last week. I've barely had time to browse through it, but I have to say that it's living up to my expectations. Lots of useful information, well-organized, but with a relaxed tone. :smile:

The recipes look terrific. I think I'll have to make "Cellinis and Martinis" for the name alone. :laugh:

Yippee!!!

After being on pre-order from Amazon since April, it has arrived and it is lovely. Although I have never really met a bean I didn't like, these look like dishes that I will want to add to my "YUM.....make again" list. Nice job Steve :biggrin:

I'm glad you like what you see so far. My editor told me we're all ready going into another printing, based on reaction and pre-sales. I told him it was probably my mother and her friends and not to get too excited but it seems a go.

adey73, there's a metric conversion chart in the back, but this kind of cooking isn't so specific. Some of this and that and you have magic.

rohandaft, I'm loving your book, Menu del Dia. I hope mine works for you!

Steve,

Any chance that you'll be selling your beans at Union Square Greenmarket this Wednesday when you do your book signing?

- Kim

I can't wait to pick up this book. Needless to say you know your a rancho_gordo fan when you still have the companies calender on your kitchen wall, even though its three years old. :laugh:

rohandaft, are you the author of the irreplaceable 'Daft about Lager'? I was thinking about that superb publication the other day.

Edited by muichoi (log)

I can't wait to pick up this book. Needless to say you know your a rancho_gordo fan when you still have the companies calender on your kitchen wall, even though its three years old. :laugh:

Yeah, Rancho. When are the new calendars coming out?

This might be a good time since, as we all know, you've got nothing else on your plate in your beanpot.

:cool:

Steve,

Any chance that you'll be selling your beans at Union Square Greenmarket this Wednesday when you do your book signing?

- Kim

They're pretty adamant that I don't and I understand.

Luckily, there apparently is someone who grows them and they'll have them for sale.

Mine are just available at Marlow and Sons in NY, and of course mail order.

rohandaft, are you the author of the irreplaceable 'Daft about Lager'? I was  thinking about that superb publication the other day.

Not forgetting my Brutish collaborators, Malcolm Bennett and Aidan Hughes, yes, I am the author of Daft About Lager. The book was published in 1989 and my overriding memory of it is going to the Penguin offices in Kensington twice a week in a cab to pick up the many, many cases of lager we were sent, and then paying for the cab with the likes of Tennants Super or the particularly horrible Kestrel (remember that?) equivalent. It's very nice to know that you were thinking about it and consider it irreplaceable.

I'm glad you like what you see so far. My editor told me we're all ready going into another printing, based on reaction and pre-sales. I told him it was probably my mother and her friends and not to get too excited but it seems a go.

adey73, there's a metric conversion chart in the back, but this kind of cooking isn't so specific. Some of this and that and you have magic.

rohandaft, I'm loving your book, Menu del Dia. I hope mine works for you!

Congratulations - it's just arrived and looks great. A late night platter of canned sardines, avocados, and pickled sliced chiles at the Opera Bar in Mexico City is very appealing. As is the recipe for Anasazi Cowboy Chili with Buffalo and Nopales - I have direct access to cactus but have never cooked with it. I'm really looking forward to this.

I was heading out of the car a couple of days ago with my very favorite Rancho Gordo cloth bag - when my neighbour Gord spied it in my hand. You could see the excitement on his face as he tried to figure out how he was going to get me to give it to him.

He hasn't got it yet - I'm going to have to get another bag first. It's interesting how many questions that bag generates when you are in the grocery store.

Let me say that the recipe for Tuscan Ribollita with Runner Cannellini Beans is worth the purchase price alone!

I hesitated (briefly) before posting this, because with a second batch of this wonderful, hearty seasonal dish in the oven/on the stove now, I went to order more runner cannellinis, and discovered that Steve is temporarily out. But fear not, I'm sure more will be in stock soon, and besides, there are lots of other great recipes to try -- one for every week of the year!

If you haven't already purchased this book, RUN to the bookstore or your nearest online purveyor and get your copy now.

Thanks Steve for all the great beans and now all the great ways to cook them!

- Laura

Resurrecting this topic to ask a question. I was gifted with a smoked pork tenderloin today, and decided I needed some Boston baked beans to go with it. Hadn't soaked any beans, as I hadn't planned on cooking beans tonight, but no worries -- I have an Instant Pot, and I'll just pressure cook those babies unsoaked.

Put a half-pound of alubia blanca beans in the IP with the requisite ingredients, and decided to go 45 minutes at high pressure. Quick released the pressure because I was getting hungry and everything else was done -- beans were not. I said...well, never mind what I said, but I started 'em back for another 30 minutes. At the end of that time -- still hard. So I cursed, fixed my plate without them, and set them for another 45 minutes. For anyone who's counting, that's a solid two hours under pressure. And they still weren't done.

I presently have them on the slow cook setting and plan to let them cook all night.

Has anyone else had this experience with these beans? I've had them in my pantry less than six months. I'm befuddled.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally grab ayocote blanco?  I've had to pressure cook RG ayocote varieties four hours.

I cook the alubia blanca beans fairly often and find that they are usually done fairly quickly, on the spectrum of all beans but I have not tried them in the instant pot.

My usual method is no soak, bring them to a boil on the stovetop with a couple of bay leaves, a few cloves of garlic and 2 or 3 dried red chili peppers.  I let them boil briskly for 5 min or so then add the salt, put the covered pot into the oven at 250 or 275, just enough to barely boil.  I'd say the alubia blanca beans are usually ready after 60-90 min in the oven or less.  

With the instant pot, I liked the beans best when I cooked them part-way under high pressure, let the pressure reduce naturally for 10 min before releasing the valve and finished cooking them at a simmer using the saute function.  For the Yellow Indian Woman beans, I think it was around 25 min under pressure and 25 min simmering in the pot.

• Like 1

@JoNorvelleWalker, no, they were alubia blanca. I got the bag back out of the trash and looked.

Update -- this morning, after 12 hours on slow cook, they were done -- but surprisingly, still quite firm and not mushy. Bonus -- the long, slow cook made the sauce absolutely delectable. As I am cooking risotto today, they'll go in the fridge for sometime later.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By highchef
      we're all used to the Wednesday/Sunday food sections of newspapers far and wide, national and local. I see corrections in the local or regional columns when called for, but there's never a way to critique the ones published on a national scale because the content is behind a paywall. I get the WSJ, but don't want to pay additional (I should get access to it all on line for free-the newspaper is not cheap) for their online edition. Very frustrating to try a recipe and have major problems with it and not be able to point out some serious issues. Specifically, the WSJ published a recipe from Dee Retalli, a pastry chef in London who's recipe is in the cookbook 'Rustic' by Jorge Fernandez and Rich Wells. 
      I have made this cake 3 times.
      First time was a total runover disaster, which I should have foreseen. This cakes calls for a 10" springform or if you don't have that, a 10" cast iron skillet. I went for the latter because that is what I had. Almond mixtures tend to really smoke when they run over, just so you know.
      Tried again later with a deeper than normal 9 " springform. Happened again. Think it has to do with the 2 teaspoons of baking powder and quick activation in a 350º oven.
      Invested in a 10" springform for '3rd times a charm' try. I was successful, but not because I followed the directions, rather I became a little obsessed with making this work. Checked my oven, followed with the recipe and eyed it warily. It came up to the brim...and stayed. 45 minutes later it was supposed to be done but while it was beautiful, it was a bowl of jello in the center. It was also browning at an alarming rate- the almond flour again? So I placed a sheet of tinfoil over it (beautiful top crust) and turned the oven down to 325º and carefully watched and tested for almost another hour. That's a big time difference. 
      I found the recipe on cooked.com - credited to the above authors and cookbook albeit in Euro style measures and temps. All seems the same, so what are the odds that the recipe was misprinted twice from 2 different media?
      All I can think of is somewhere down the line (in the cookbook itself?) the cook time and temp were off. The time on both reads 45 min. The recipe took at least 1hr and 45 minutes. methinks someone left out the hour...
      The temp. thing is a little more obvious. Celcius to farenheight 350ºF does not equal 180ºC, more like 176ºC. Over almost 2 hours, I think that could make the difference between cooked and burnt? Sooo, I turned it down when I saw how fast it was browning to 325.
      The cake stays in form while you pour the honey over it, then orange water, then 2(!!!) cups of sliced toasted almonds. I put 1 cup and there is no way another cup would have stayed on that cake. I cup settled up to almost an inch on a 10" cake...
      Has anyone else tried this recipe or have the cookbook? It's a wonderful cake if you correct the time and temp., But I'd be really curious to see if anyone followed it exactly as written with success?

• By chefmd
      It's time to get excited about new cookbooks coming out this year.  Hopefully some will also appear on bargain thread.   Here is an article from Food and Wine that lists some of the spring offerings.
      http://www.foodandwine.com/news/cookbooks-spring-2018
    • By ElsieD
      I got an e-mail this morning about the Modernist team's next project - pizza! 

Modernist Pizza is Underway!
      After taking on the world of bread, we’re thrilled to announce the topic of our next book: pizza. Modernist Pizza will explore the science, history, equipment, technology, and people that have made pizza so beloved.

Authors Nathan Myhrvold and Francisco Migoya, with the Modernist Cuisine team, are currently at work conducting extensive research and testing long-held pizza-making beliefs; this quest for knowledge has already taken them to cities across the United States, Italy, and beyond. The result of their work will be a multivolume cookbook that includes both traditional and innovative recipes for pizzas found around the globe along with techniques that will help you make pizza the way you like it.

Modernist Pizza is in its early stages, and although we’ve begun to dig in, we still have a lot of work ahead of us. Although we can’t guarantee when it will arrive at your door just yet, we can promise that this book will deliver the complete story of pizza as it’s never been told before.

In the meantime, we would love to hear from you as we continue to research pizza from around the world. Contact pizza@modernistcuisine.com to tell us about your favorite pizzerias and their pizza. Connect with us on social media to get all the latest Modernist Pizza updates.
    • By JoNorvelleWalker
      Tonight I finished Kristen Kish Cooking, Recipes and Techniques.  Alas these are restaurant or competition dishes, and while I would probably enjoy most of them, I saw nothing that I am compelled to cook.  Nor for that matter am competent to cook.  I commend her for sharing them.  I appreciate her definition of culinary terms.  My only gripe is that after assuring us she uses a Packojet at work, her ice cream recipes call for a home ice cream maker.

Kristen moved me.  I was taken by her back story as a gay interracial adoptee.  I can relate to that.

• By Smokeydoke
      After a delightful brunch at Koslow's Sqirl restaurant in Los Angeles, I've decided to attempt to cook through her cookbook. I'll post my results here.

Please follow along and join in, if you're so inclined. Her food is wonderful, but I will surmise that her true deliciousness comes from using the best and freshest ingredients. I'll do my best to recreate the magic I felt at Sqirl.

Here's the link to her book at Eat Your Books.