Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Quick Breads?


aguynamedrobert
 Share

Recommended Posts

A big collection of quick breads is here. Unfortunately, it does not have Tom Hirschfield's recipe for Guinness Whole Wheat quick bread, which I used to make regularly, but had saved only the link and not the text of the recipe. I recall that it had wheat bran, oatmeal, Guinness and honey in it, and it was very dense, only mildly sweet, and very good. Tom's domain apparently is no more, which saddens me; loved his blog and recipes, several of which have become favorites of mine. If anyone has that recipe, I'd deeply appreciate you sending it along!

 

  • Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

 

Yes.

She also made a brown bread (basically the same recipe) that wasn't steamed.

 

I used to sell that at my farmer's market stall in the autumn, along with baked beans. Baked beans are just as traditional and deep-rooted here as they are in New England, but the steamed brown bread was something of a novelty and sold very well for me. I made it in two sizes; both smaller than the traditional coffee can, but more practical for my clientele. 

  • Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, kayb said:

Tom's domain apparently is no more, which saddens me; loved his blog and recipes, several of which have become favorites of mine. If anyone has that recipe, I'd deeply appreciate you sending it along!

 

He has a new website but I don't see the recipe. :(

https://tomhirschfeld.com/

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My favorite quick bread is called a cake but the texture is like quick breads.

GRANDMA’S APPLE CAKE   (0R PEAR CAKE)

Ingredients: 

4 cups flour

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

3/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

2 cups vegetable oil

1 2/3 cups sugar

5 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla

5 cups apples peeled and coarsely chopped (you can also grate the fruit if very firm)

1 1/4 cups nuts -  

1 1/4 cups raisins - or you can use dried cranberries or other dried fruits.

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Sift together the flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda  SET ASIDE.

Beat oil and sugar together medium speed for 3-4 minutes.

Add the eggs, one at a time 2 minutes.

Add the vanilla, leave the mixer running.

Add the dry mixture, half a cup at a time, until all has been incorporated.

With the mixer on slow speed, add the apples, nuts and raisins 

mix just until evenly distributed throughout the batter

Pour into pans - filling to within 3/4 inch to top.  

Bake for 55 minutes for mini loaf pans (6 inch size)

Bake for 75 minutes for regular loaf pans (add 5-10 minutes if the pans are deeper than 3 inches.

For tube pans or Bundt pans, bake for at least 90 minutes and test for doneness - use a probe thermometer if you have one,

interior temperature should be 205-210° F in the center.  (more accurate than a toothpick).

This cake originally for an extra large - 15 cup Bundt pan.  It makes 6 of the small loaf pans, 3 regular loaf pans or a deep 9 inch round pan.

Grandma's Apple:Pear cake.jpg

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 6

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

cranberry nut bread is just about my favorite as well.  And this time of year it's perfect since the berries are in season.  might just have to put this one on my list of things to do.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I made a banana bread that was the favorite of several people on another cooking forum. I wasn't crazy about it. Most of it is now in the freezer, presliced. It's very moist but bland and has no nuts. I hate to waste food so I'm toying with the idea of re-purposing it, perhaps with some sort of filling between slices then frosting. I thought either a cream cheese filling/frosting or maybe peanut butter filling/chocolate frosting. I have a good cream cheese frosting recipe and chocolate frosting recipe but would have to wing a peanut butter filling. On the other hand, maybe I should just toss it!  What do you think? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/14/2016 at 0:42 PM, Cyberider said:

My favorite is mango bread.  Seems to be a favorite of everyone I've given some to as well.

 

I'd really like to make a mango bread - do you have a recipe you could share, by any chance?

 

Or anyone else? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, FauxPas said:

 

I'd really like to make a mango bread - do you have a recipe you could share, by any chance?

 

Or anyone else? 

Hello fellow Arizonan!  I do but they're at home.  I'll try and remember to bring one in to work tomorrow to share.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll put in a plug here for a recipe that @Anna N referenced over in the Savory Baking topic.  She used it to make a jalapeño cheese and chipotle bread but the recipe is very flexible, listing 10 sweet and savory variations and giving guidelines for using other ingredients.

It's this Buttermilk Quick Bread with 10 Variations.  

I've only made a savory version with roasted onions and parmesan cheese but I think it would be a fun recipe to play around with.  Maybe mango, coconut and macadamia nuts? 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, cyalexa said:

... On the other hand, maybe I should just toss it!  What do you think? 

No...no tossing. Your suggestions for embellishing the bread sound good to me. 

The simplest and easiest thing would be to make a trifle from it.You can also take part of the bread and crumble it onto a baking sheet and bake it again until crisp/crunchy...sort of like quick bread croutons used on top of a lemon curd, pudding or other desserts.

  • Like 1

 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

 

Tim Oliver

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Toliver said:

No...no tossing. Your suggestions for embellishing the bread sound good to me. 

The simplest and easiest thing would be to make a trifle from it.You can also take part of the bread and crumble it onto a baking sheet and bake it again until crisp/crunchy...sort of like quick bread croutons used on top of a lemon curd, pudding or other desserts.

I agree, I wouldn't toss it so quickly, especially since it's currently in the freezer, where it can live pretty much forever. A few things to keep in mind: you might not like it, but that doesn't mean others won't. If you ever have people over, or if you can bring it to work, etc., it might be enjoyed by others. I probably wouldn't go to a lot of expense or effort to fix it up, but it's amazing how a basic chocolate glaze can perk up just about anything, especially a sub-par banana bread, it's a nice combination.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the ideas. I am especially intrigued with the trifle idea. I don't see fresh bananas as the fruit - maybe strawberries? Then again, a bread pudding, especially with some chocolate chips tossed in also sounds good. Or maybe cut the slices in to squares and coat with chocolate, sort of like a square cake ball. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A chef I know of used banana bread soaked in egg to make French toast, and served it with lemon curd. It was a pretty popular menu item for him. 

  • Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/18/2016 at 11:43 PM, andiesenji said:

My favorite quick bread is called a cake but the texture is like quick breads.

GRANDMA’S APPLE CAKE   (0R PEAR CAKE)

Ingredients: 

4 cups flour

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

3/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

2 cups vegetable oil

1 2/3 cups sugar

5 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla

5 cups apples peeled and coarsely chopped (you can also grate the fruit if very firm)

1 1/4 cups nuts -  

1 1/4 cups raisins - or you can use dried cranberries or other dried fruits.

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Sift together the flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda  SET ASIDE.

Beat oil and sugar together medium speed for 3-4 minutes.

Add the eggs, one at a time 2 minutes.

Add the vanilla, leave the mixer running.

Add the dry mixture, half a cup at a time, until all has been incorporated.

With the mixer on slow speed, add the apples, nuts and raisins 

mix just until evenly distributed throughout the batter

Pour into pans - filling to within 3/4 inch to top.  

Bake for 55 minutes for mini loaf pans (6 inch size)

Bake for 75 minutes for regular loaf pans (add 5-10 minutes if the pans are deeper than 3 inches.

For tube pans or Bundt pans, bake for at least 90 minutes and test for doneness - use a probe thermometer if you have one,

interior temperature should be 205-210° F in the center.  (more accurate than a toothpick).

This cake originally for an extra large - 15 cup Bundt pan.  It makes 6 of the small loaf pans, 3 regular loaf pans or a deep 9 inch round pan.

Grandma's Apple:Pear cake.jpg

 

This makes me think of my grandma's apple cake! Always delicious. She would do a combination of shredded apples and cubed. That looks amazing btw!

  • Like 1

"Sense Of Urgency" -Thomas Keller

86ed Chef's Advice

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cranberry orange muffins or bread are a combination that is surprisingly more than the sum of the parts. and fresh cranberries are in season now.

 

I always try to get enough for the freezer to last through the year. Weirdly, I have never seen any sold in freezer cases in the store. I guess they sell out the fresh supply and make the rest into canned cranberry sauce?

  • Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Cranberry orange muffins or bread are a combination that is surprisingly more than the sum of the parts. and fresh cranberries are in season now.

 

I always try to get enough for the freezer to last through the year. Weirdly, I have never seen any sold in freezer cases in the store. I guess they sell out the fresh supply and make the rest into canned cranberry sauce?

I love cranberries, and I also make sure I have a freezer full of cranberries around now; they'll usually last me through the summer. And I also have never, ever seen cranberries in the freezer section of any store anywhere. My favorite loaf cake is made with cranberries, walnuts and buttermilk. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, cakewalk said:

 And I also have never, ever seen cranberries in the freezer section of any store anywhere.

??!!

 

 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, that was just a "Wow...weird."

 

Maybe it's a Canadian thing, but they're pretty easy to find in supermarkets here. Usually Ocean Spray, and often a couple of other brands as well.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the makings for the pumpkin olive oil bread I like.  This time I'm going to soak some raisins and incorporate them.

Johnnybird likes anything with blueberries so I do make a blueberry lemon quick bread for him when I find good blueberries as I hate to use frozen ones.

I do make his grandmother's apfelkuchen which looks a lot like @Anna N's but without the nuts.

  • Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

 

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/27/2016 at 9:37 AM, nonkeyman said:

This makes me think of my grandma's apple cake! Always delicious. She would do a combination of shredded apples and cubed. That looks amazing btw!

One of my neighbors made it for Thanksgiving, she has adopted the paper loaf pans, has two sizes, made a couple of larger ones and some of the 6 inch size for her elderly relatives who are never able to eat dessert after the dinner so she wanted to send a small one home with them.  Yesterday she told me her aunt had phoned and asked if she planned on making more - she shared hers with a neighbor and told my neighbor she will pay for the ingredients if she will bake some for her to give as holiday presents.  She lives in an assisted living center and does not have a stove.  

My neighbor says that is the very first time she has ever gotten a compliment on her baking from that aunt.  She is thrilled.

  • Like 6

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Cyberider mentioned mango bread, and I made a version based on the standard banana bread recipe. I used mango purée instead of banana, a bit of Grand Marnier liqueur instead of vanilla and added a bit of orange zest and a lot of walnuts. I was out of pecans, else they would have been my first choice. I used some whole wheat flour as well as white. It turned out pretty good though next time I would not have puréed all the mango, but rather left some in small chunks. I'll definitely make it again and try some other variations. 

 

Mango Bread.jpg

 

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

@Cyberider mentioned mango bread, and I made a version based on the standard banana bread recipe. I used mango purée instead of banana, a bit of Grand Marnier liqueur instead of vanilla and added a bit of orange zest and a lot of walnuts. I was out of pecans, else they would have been my first choice. I used some whole wheat flour as well as white. It turned out pretty good though next time I would not have puréed all the mango, but rather left some in small chunks. I'll definitely make it again and try some other variations. 

 

Mango Bread.jpg

 

 

Looks and sounds tasty!  I use whole mangoes, chop them up in small pieces, and call it good.  I like the taste of the pieces in the bread.  It gives a strong mango taste when you get one in a bite and a good contrast with the rest of the bread.  Waiting for the next sale on mangoes . . .

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...