• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Quick Breads?

aguynamedrobert

43 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

@Cyberider mentioned mango bread, and I made a version based on the standard banana bread recipe. I used mango purée instead of banana, a bit of Grand Marnier liqueur instead of vanilla and added a bit of orange zest and a lot of walnuts. I was out of pecans, else they would have been my first choice. I used some whole wheat flour as well as white. It turned out pretty good though next time I would not have puréed all the mango, but rather left some in small chunks. I'll definitely make it again and try some other variations. 

Mango Bread.jpg

That looks amazing. I've never had mango bread. I have to try it.

Edited by Smokeydoke (log)
  • Like 1

Just now, Smokeydoke said:

That looks amazing. I've never had mango bread. I have to try it.

It really was tasty! @Cyberider also posted a version called Hawaiian Mango Bread with macadamia nuts, coconut and raisins, but his post disappeared for some reason. (Maybe another glitch with the new software here?) Perhaps he will try posting it again. 

I used about 3 small ataulfo (honey) mangoes. I say "about" that many, because part of one became my snack while I was preparing the bread, ha. I used a basic banana bread recipe for the starting point, like this one from Simply Recipes. I would follow @Cyberider's suggestion to leave some chunks and not purée it all. 

• Like 2

Yesterday, I made Flour's Famous Banana Bread. It was good. I don't know if it's my *favorite*. I'm still looking for my favorite.

Pic below.

Recipe here.

My favorite quick bread of-the-now is Gjelina's Kabocha, Olive Oil and Chocolate cake. It is fabulous. I can't explain it, it's almost an earthy taste, I've honestly never tasted anything like it before.

Recipe here

flour banana bread.JPG

• Like 4

Nice banana bread. A long time ago Wendy DeBoard, a pastry chef who used to post on eGullet a lot, said that to her, banana bread simply isn't good unless it has a couple of tablespoons or so of sour cream in it. I've tried a lot of banana bread recipes, and I agree with Wendy. The ones with sour cream always taste better than the ones without. (I noticed that the Flour recipe includes sour cream.) My "to go" banana bread recipe of late is an altered version of the Joy of Cooking recipe. I reduce the butter, add sour cream, make a few other changes, etc. The book has all the notes. I don't remember how it all came to that, but I know that when I make banana bread, that's the one I go to. 

• Like 3

In my banana bread, pumpkin bread and etc.,  I use half butter and half cream cheese, instead of all butter.  

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I tried making mango bread this weekend. It was interesting. I'm not going to share the recipe because it was off in so many places. But the gist of it was pureed mangoes, coconuts, craisins and pecans.

If I ever make this again, I'd use mangoes, coconut, dried pineapple and macadamia nuts and rename it Hawaiian bread.

IMG_1571.JPG

• Like 3

As noted on the Dinner thread, I made the Buttermilk Quick Bread mentioned upthread by, I believe, @Anna N. I tried my own savory version with chopped bacon bits and cheddar cheese. Very good, but for the next time I'm doing a savory version, I'll decrease the sugar to 1/4 cup. Likewise, making it in my 9 x 5 pan yielded a pretty flat loaf; I might do it in my 8 x 4 next time.

Awfully good texture, and it's quite excellent toasted with butter. I'm going to make some ricotta to go with it tomorrow morning.

bread n eggs.jpg

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com