• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. scubadoo97

Ice Cream!

In reference to the strawberries, I find most all the strawberries in my markets, Florida or from California are tasteless.
  3. Today
  4. Smithy

Dinner 2019

That looks like a wonderful Easter dinner. Ramps!! Oh, you lucky duck! Ours will be coming up in about a month.
  5. Yep! (Taken out of context, that sounds rather uncomplimentary. ) OK, here's the other one for the day:
  6. liuzhou

Breakfast 2019

Breakfast BLT
  7. I've had it up to here.
  8. gfweb

Dinner 2019

Easter dinner on the patio (finally warm enough...just) Deviled eggs Potato salad with ramps Roast veg Smoked pork tenderloin with savory lingonberry sauce
  9. I will reuse oil that has been used for fries only. And just once or twice before disposing of it. I can dispose of cooking in in a milk carton in with out weekly "organics/compost" pick up.
  10. Ann_T

Dinner 2019

@TdeV, I don't do anything special. I shape the dough loosely into a ball and flatten. I have a board well floured and I oil my hands with olive oil and stretch initially from underneath the dough using my knuckles. I stretch until it resists, and then I let it rest for 10 minutes for the dough to relax. I oil my hands again and then just start to push out on the dough to stretch it further, letting it rest as needed. Once the centre is thin enough, I start to pull gently and stretch from the edge out. I hope that makes sense. The secret is letting the dough rest between stretches. When it is relaxed it stretches much easier.
  11. This one probably isn't too tough...
  12. Yesterday
  13. Dante

Dinner 2019

Jackfruit with barbecue sauce and chili-lime marinade over steamed corn (with butter,smoked paprika, and nutritional yeast) and chopped steamed kale.
  14. More sights from my walking tour. I did not buy the cute cookie jar, nor any of the very large apothecary jars (bargain-priced), nor any of the other pretty jars, nor the stiff wooden basket large enough to double as a crib, nor even a pressure gauge. Nor did I (even try to fit into) the vintage cowgirl outfit, for that matter. Later in the day we went to Miller's Smokehouse & Market. They have a great selection of fresh and smoked meats, sausage-making supplies, preserves and a few "normal" groceries. Here's a very small selection of their offerings: We bought some of their sausages, the massive chicken breasts I showed in the sous vide post earlier, and a selection of their stuffed peppers: jalapeno poppers, armadillo eggs, gator toes and brisket poppers. The brisket poppers are supposed to be the local favorites; having sampled some, I can see why. We baked them in the oven at 325F or 350F until the bacon wrapping was brown. They were good! We also bought pork steaks. It seems as though most areas that we travel favor thinly-sliced pork - something appropriate for quick frying, but not satisfying for the breaded, oven-baked version my darling prefers. These overcompensated: each steak was immense in thickness as well as area. We decided to share one. I couldn't finish my half. Lest you think we're only eating meat and potato salad in Llano, let me tell you about the green beans I cooked from @JAZ's new book, The Ultimate Instant Pot Cookbook for Two. (Disclosure: I was one of several eGullet recipe testers for this book, and Janet was good enough to send me a free copy by way of thanks. I'll also say that I liked the recipes I tested so much that I bought a copy of the book for my best friend when it hit the presses.) My copy finally (finally!) caught up to me in the roving mail, and it's bristling with sticky-notes for recipes to try. For this dinner it was the Warm Thai-Style Green Bean and Tomato Salad. Simple, from start to finish, and delicious. I didn't tell my darling it contained cilantro. He loved the salad as much as I did.
  15. Dante

Dinner 2019

Easter dinner- ham slow cooked in cider and (good quality) maraschino cherry liquid, over cheesy grits, with steamed rapini.
  16. chefmd

Dinner 2019

Cod steam roasted in CSO with pan roasted carrots and salsa verde
  17. That's the rub, isn't it? As @pastrygirl mentions the pie has been around forever, people have mentioned it to Tosi before. It seems it's the Target deal that's forcing the issue, not some sudden realization that the name is now socially awkward or inappropriate. The fact that they are publicizing the name change as a "come to Jesus" moment makes me roll my eyes and wonder about the real motivation behind the name revision.They didn't have to change the name; it was just prudent to do so NOW given the circumstances of a new marketing arrangement with Target (and the fact that someone in Cambridge is making enough of a fuss about it); had Tosi not opened up in Harvard Square and not had a Target deal, would the name change have happened at all?
  18. heidih

Dinner 2019

o I am obviously not Ann but just as with phyllo or puff pastry ya gotta just do it. The current trend is high hiydation. With a standard recipe the "rest" is critical. I grew up with noodles and leaarned dough resting at great grand mother's knee. When you look at shows you see just a sort of hand knuckle movement rather than actual touching/pulling. Think also of pie crust - cool hamds and just do it.
  19. Always inspiring to read and see pictures from so many talented people. We are two Norwegians who still have this as a hobby, but are expanding bit by bit. For this Easter, we got inspired by Europe’s political hot topic (and I have to say also mainly by my English wife’s idea) to make the Br-Eggs-It. It was a 12 cm (almost 5”) milk chocolate egg filled with four smaller egg varieties: “The passionate English rose” (England): Ruby and Valrhona Inspiration passionfruit “Scotch egg” (Scotland): Milk Chocolate with a cream egg filling (our version of the Cadburry Creme egg) ”Dragon egg (Wales, who has the dragon in their flag): Valrhona Blonde chocolate “Irish cream” (Ireland): Dark chocolate with Bailey ganache (we tried first to make the little egg look like a pint of Guinness) For some reason the Norwegians didn’t quite pick up the pun, so most of the production was sold to ex-pats living in our town.
  20. Thank you @teonzo for the idea. The proportions would be off because I have been enjoying my pistachio pudding. I still have pistachio paste left so I may try again. But not today.
  21. I could exceed in all my pedantry and reply with something uber annoying like "so Yoda said". Politeness would suggest to delete what I just wrote, but I can't resist Star Wars jokes. Teo
  22. There's a way to save it. You just need to add the right amounts to get a double batch. Which is pretty easy since you don't need the stabilizers (assuming you agree it's better to cut them in half). This is what you have now: Heavy Cream 520 g Pistachio Paste 140 g Sugar 100 g Salt 3 g Locust Bean Gum 2 g Lambda Carrageenan 1.3 g Polysorbate 80 0.5 g Glycerol Monostearate 0.1 g This is the "correct" recipe (cream at 35% fat), doubled: Heavy Cream 380 g Water 660 g Pistachio Paste 280 g Sugar 200 g Salt 6 g Locust Bean Gum 2 g Lambda Carrageenan 1.3 g Polysorbate 80 0.5 g Glycerol Monostearate 0.1 g So you need to add these amounts to what you already have: Water 520 g Pistachio Paste 140 g Sugar 100 g Salt 3 g Just add all these ingredients to the base you have in your hands, homogenize and it should be ok. Better using superfine sugar to dissolve it more easily. No need to cook anything. To be precise you should make it triple and not double since you started with too many cream for a double recipe, but you would end up using a lot of pistachio paste which costs a fortune. If you want to do things properly then add these amounts for a triple recipe: Water 1040 g Pistachio Paste 280 g Sugar 200 g Salt 6 g The big difference here is given by the pistachio solids, which change things A LOT as far as balancing ice-cream. It's not just a matter of high fat ice-cream, it's a matter of high fat ice-cream containing tons of pistachio solids. If pistachios and raspberries were less expensive (or if I were rich) then I would eat them together every day and in huge amounts. Teo
  23. @jbates the chocolate is Felchlin Maracaibo Creole 49%. https://www.felchlin.com/en/product/cacao-maracaibo I spun it for as long as my old arms could stand, outside in the snow. (Crass hyperbole -- I was outside under a covered breezeway.) About 15 minutes. @teonzo remember I was using less chocolate than Brunner recommends. I double checked this with my contact at Brunner.
  24. Another failure. The chilled mix was about as viscous as the last batch. I didn't bother to try to spin. As consolation the stuff tastes pretty good. I shall call it pistachio pudding and be done. Teo, I like fat. Fat and eggs. For example, this. And, you know, that pistachio pudding is good stuff. (Not that I mind enjoying pistachio butter right out of the melanger.)
  25. chefmd

Grocery Shopping

First of the season local MD asparagus.
  26. kayb

Best First Cookbook

I find Shirley Corriher's Cookwise to be a good intro for people who know little about cooking. I've give that, as well as Bittman's HTCE, several times for wedding gifts when I knew people had an interest in cooking but little experience.
  1. Load more activity