• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. From a change from what? You are presuming it's a birthday cake. It wasn't. er, there is lots of piping. Look again! Don't worry the locals are quite adept at piping. Here is a cake I received in 2008 wishing me a "Nappy Birthday". OK maybe a typo (or should that be a "pipingo") on the English, but I'm not going to fault the piping or cake making.
  3. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Mixed beans with smoky chipotle and caramelized onion + melted cheddar cheese. Tomato, pepper rice. With corn kernels and anise seed. Sour cream, pickled onion and chilis.
  4. Today
  5. Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

Stir fried tofu, peppers, eggplant. Sauce based on white soy sauce and anise, a hint of sichuan peppercorn and cinnamon. Didn't look so good after mixing with the noodles, so no pic
  6. Call that a cake? This is a cake!

No piping, though? With two miles, you could write a proper birthday message for a change.
  7. A really lovely looking dessert... But please enlighten me: is an acorn dacquoise what I think it is? A normal dacquoise, made with ground acorns? I had no idea they were even edible.
  8. Jim....Google doesn’t know everything! Everyone wants to “Be Like Bernie” (BLB)
  9. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Live soft shell crabs came in today, and I wasted no time in getting three for dinner. These were Primes (4 1/2" to 5" from point to point). They present a challenge in getting them crispy, because the bodies are thicker than the more common Hotels, which you can crisp up with little effort. The trick with Primes, is to get the fry pan screaming hot, add the butter and then the crabs quickly (standing back, out of the spatter zone), but the reward is worth the risk, in my book. I served these with fresh asparagus, from the garden, and a garlic and lemon aioli on toasted snow flake rolls, as is my tradition. It was a great meal!! HC
  10. Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 2)

It has been a wretchedly cold day, and a good candidate for beans. I made a batch of Georgian lobio -- beans stewed with herbs. But then I got to egulletting and they burnt. I ate them, mind you, I've had worse. But the leftovers didn't go to the refrigerator. Bar Keepers Friend is my friend.
  11. Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

Small Dude has been nagging me for Sausage Rolls. Obliged him today. Made a batch for today, for his lunchboxes and for the freezer. We will see if that happens - which is why I don't make them very often!
  12. I guess the thing about asparagus is that if it's good (fresh, flavorful, ripe) then an elaborate preparation can seem like guilding the lily. So it was with our dinner tonight. These asparagus spears were larger around than my thumbs. We generally avoid the thick spears, expecting them to be woody, but they smelled fresh. I bought them. My darling gave me the fisheye. He thought nothing good could come of them. He then picked up the first ears of corn of the season. I was as skeptical of his choice. Corn, in northern Minnesota, in May? Ha! I used a trick picked up somewhere along in these pages, and peeled the bases of the asparagus spears. Lo and behold! That yielded far more length of tender and flavorful asparagus. Dinner was salmon cooked in brown butter, then removed to the oven to finish cooking. The asparagus went into the browned butter after the salmon was finished, and slivered almonds spent the last few seconds in the butter as well. Those who wished could add a squeeze of lemon at the table. The plating is disgraceful, but we were delighted with the flavors. I'll remember the peeling trick, and sauteeing in brown butter. It was a nice celebration of spring. We forgave each other our skepticisms.
  13. Drinks! 2018

This intrigues me. As a replacement for Donn's/Don's mix I've been using equal parts white grapefruit juice and tincture of cinnamon (W&N Overproof). While I suspect mine beats yours alcohol-wise hands down, white grapefruit is all but impossible to source. Have you tried your combination in a zombie?
  14. You should have grabbed Bob. He is the caramel corn master.
  15. Bravani (sp?) the owner mentioned that the new units now are shipping with two scrapers. One helps scrape, the other to help aerate. The newer and the older are interchangeable on the same machine.
  16. White chocolate shell, orange butter ganache with lots of grand marnier (sp?)
  17. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Grilled Chicken Thigh, Buttered Broccoli, and something we rarely have, Dessert! Today is special as it is my DH’s birthday and this is one of his favorites.
  18. Bob, Google tells me "BLB" can mean a Binary Large Object--or a Blue Letter Bible--or Bare Legged Beauties. None of those seems to fit the photo. Clarification, please. Jim Dutton
  19. A busy, busy day in the Chocolate kitchen.....
  20. Prep bowls

Prep bowls have been on my mind. I seldom use large mixing bowls, except on the KitchenAid, but I never have enough small bowls on hand. My favorite are a set of chartreuse pyrex from a garage sale in the 1970's. Perhaps my finest culinary bargain ever (not counting possessions pulled from the dumpster). Anyhow I just got a couple Vollrath small mixing bowls from JB Prince.* https://www.jbprince.com/utensils/heavy-weight-mix-bowl-0.5-qt.asp Normally I avoid Vollrath like the plague as they have no warrantee. But what could go wrong with a stainless steel bowl, right? I probably will order more. *the real reason was to pad the JB Prince order for free shipping.
  21. You're missing the same thing all of us not there are missing. Good company, fun and good food... anything I learned would just be bonus material.
  22. I don’t really eat chocolate. Nor do I usually eat sweets. I haven’t a clue about candy making nor tempering chocolate (although I understand it is hard to do.). BUT, good Lord, you folks are amazing! Hummmm, perhaps I am missing something.
  23. Pink Himalayan Sea Salt

I know. So, Koshering salt would be more sensible. All salt is kosher, so far as I understand.
  24. Wow... that looks almost as good as that bagel I just ate. Seriously though, looks incredible. Between that and those awesome looking baked goodies, I'd leave there with an extra 30 lbs. on me.
  1. Load more activity