• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Query about lamb stew meat

Maybe where you are. The lamb/mutton I buy comes complete with skin.
  3. Dinner at Souvla. Lamb sandwich for me. Chicken sandwiches for @Chocolot and Romina. Juicy potatoes - cooked in rotisserie drippings Shared salad Then down the street to Salt and Straw Icecream Sea salt with caramel ribbons for Ro Roasted strawberry tres Leche for @Chocolot and myself.
  4. Spent the day at the Fancy Food Show - can't say I saw anything that blew me away. Spanish pavilion - nice piece of tuna. Put in your dollar - it bakes your loaf of bread. Guittards two new milk chocolates - found them quite sweet.
  5. Today
  6. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Sunday night is pizza night. Today with 12h poolish, 2h bulk ferment Korean soft wheat flour dough. 70% hydration. 250 oC, air circulation, baked directly on the bottom of the oven. Combinations included mushroom and salami, bacon and olive (pictured) and mushroom and bacon. The pictured combination won this time, but my four year-old is very difficult to predict Crumb shot just because ...
  7. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

I cannot "like" anything referring to the patriots. Scoundrels.
  8. I Bought a Tutove--Now What?

Then there's this: https://vermontrollingpins.com/shop/tutove_rolling_pin.shtml And this, from https://www.cookstr.com/recipes/wheaten-croissants "A tutove (ridged) rolling pin can be used, for added ease in rolling, for the first four turns, after which the dough layer becomes too thin, and the butter could break through."
  9. Drinks! 2018

@Tri2Cook I don't understand the aversion to sweet either. I like sweet! Grenadine, orgeat, mai tais, you name it! Except Bailey, ugh, not a big fan of Bailey's Irish Cream.
  10. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Oh my goodness. Drooling right now. Not too much on the top of the pie, just the way I like it.
  11. Brining, then drying, then marinating?

A longer treatment with salt may result in firmer meat but according to Harold McGee, page 155 On Food and Cooking, salt has two effects. Moister meat and more tender......It disrupts the structure of the muscle filaments dissolving parts of the protein structure that supports the contracting filaments and can partly dissolve the filaments themselves so when cooked they can’t coagulate into normally dense aggregates, so the cooked meat seems more tender.
  12. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Pizza tonight. Dough was made on Saturday and left in the fridge for about 32 hours. Cheese pizza. Baked on a stone on the grill. Temperature just over 600°F. Thin crust.
  13. Countertop Rotisseries

Also, not a drop of splattering... There was barely anything even to clean on the machine once it was done.
  14. Countertop Rotisseries

After the first trial, that machine has earned a place in my tiny apartment. I don't care if we have to sleep in bed with it! That bird was amazing!
  15. Cooking with Six Seasons by Joshua McFadden

Farro and Roasted Carrot Salad with Apricots, Pistachios, and Whipped Ricotta from Six Seasons p 290. Carrots are roasted (CSO, steam-bake, 425°F, 15 min), farro, per the recipe on p 50, is lightly toasted in olive oil with a garlic clove and red chile flakes before adding water, salt and bay leaf. I did that in a small skillet, then transferred to the Instant Pot (pot-in-pot, 5' manual, high pressure). Thinly sliced red onion, chopped, dried apricots, parsley, toasted pistachios and ricotta salata or feta plus olive oil and white wine vinegar complete the salad, which is served on a smear of whipped ricotta p 37. I was mildly entertained that while the book is always having me soak scallions in ice water, something I've never done before, there is no mention of doing the same with the red onion in this recipe - and I always give raw red onions the ice bath treatment for salads - go figure! I liked the added flavor from the garlic and chile in the farro and while I enjoyed the dish, it didn't quite tickle my taste buds as much as the carrot dish with carrot-top salsa verde, avocado and squid that I made yesterday. I'm not a fan of cooked carrots so my enthusiasm for yesterday's dish is actually more surprising than my ambivalence towards this one.
  16. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

like @HungryChris our day was dominated by football, and so sandwiches were in order. My crustacean allergic nephew returned to college this morning, so I opted to make a sort of shrimp po' boy. Very happy that the Patriots won, as that means I get to host my Super Bowl party (I only do when the Patriots are in it). Not happy that the Eagles are the opponent, as I will have to listen to two weeks of razzing from my Eagles fan father leading up to the game (and also they look really good so...)
  17. Brining, then drying, then marinating?

At the end of the day, it worked quite well. Actually one of the tastiest birds we've had in a long time... Definitely worth the effort.
  18. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Tonight we tried something new again: Hot and Numbing Sichuan Chicken Salad (Bang Bang Ji Si) from serious eats: http://www.seriouseats.com/…/sichuan-chicken-salad-chinese-… Chicken cooked sousvide at 150f and shreaded and mixed with a bunch of spices! Pretty interesting - basically an Asian chicken salad.
  19. I Bought a Tutove--Now What?

This doesn't make sense to me. The butter is 'placed in the dough' by putting the butter block on the dough, folding it up, and rolling... Well, let me offer an idea that makes sense to me. I suggest that, when rolled with a smooth pin, the forces are such that the dough (paste and butter layers alike) is moved almost completely in the direction in which the pin is rolled. With the longitudinal ridges (which are rounded), a pushing motion along with downward pressure will exert both forward and rearward forces in all the layers. This might mean more consistent thicknesses of paste and butter layers after the chosen number of turns. This may well be part of what was said about avoiding tearing; then again, perhaps there's more to it.
  20. Breakfast! 2018

Chicken stock with shallots, chilli, ground white pepper. Leftover beef. Quail eggs. Baby Bok Choy. Rice Noodles.
  21. Well, I should have SVed one of the nicest banjo steaks I got from my belted galloway beef dude. My gas barbie just wasn't up to the task. I need to ask him where it is from. I thought he said it was the opposite side of the bone from the oyster blade/flatiron but this says it is from the inside of the back leg.
  22. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

I am not normally a big football game watcher, but tonight's game for the Patriots was a big one and I watched. Dinner suffered as a result, but there wasn't an unhappy diner at the table! HC
  23. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Pork belly and kimchi on a homemade bun with some carrot sticks.
  24. Finally, finally I had all the right pieces and the time to assemble @HungryChris‘ marinated mushrooms. Did not have enough of anything for a full recipe so I made a partial one. And although it’s not summer I felt a need to make a small portion of @ElainaA‘s slow roasted cherry tomatoes.
  25. The Soup Topic (2013–)

Soup looks wonderful! But I'll add my wishes for your mom's quick recovery!!
  26. The Soup Topic (2013–)

Every single dish looks to die for. I'm sorry your mom is sick--this flu going around here is no joke and neither is pneumonia. I hope she's on the road to recovery and is out of the hospital very soon!
  27. Yesterday
  28. The Soup Topic (2013–)

I'm still in England ...my Mom is still in CCU with pneumonia. I'm staying with my Aunt and Uncle and they LOVE homemade soup! I'm in heaven Canja, lemony chicken soup as per my Portuguese brother in law, clam chowder and homemade focaccia, Thai mussel soup, corn chowder with lardon and garlic toastie. mmmm mmmm good
  1. Load more activity