• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Super Bowl Food 2024

It's tomorrow.  Anyone doing anything?  My poor Denver Broncos....sigh.  But, the Chiefs are Ronnie's team so at least we have that.  Kind of a love/hate relationship for me.  The Chiefs, not Ronnie lol.  My late Grammy and Ronnie love them.....My mom and I love the Broncos so we are arch enemies unless the Chiefs are in the Super Bowl.  And I do like Kelce (not because of Taylor Swift I swear) and Mahomes.

Anyway.  I really don't want to be doing a lot of cooking during the game.  Ronnie requested fried livers and gizzards again.  I have chicken, duck and goose.  I'm going to try to get everything else done before game time.  Arby's frozen curly fries.  Maybe deviled eggs.  Pigs in a blanket.  Maybe some kind of salad to be a bit healthy-ish.  Football shaped brownie bites for dessert.  I'm going to look at past Super Bowl threads here for more ideas.  

Edit:  I see in the past I was booing the Super Bowl Chiefs.....I must be getting soft in my old age.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Haha 9

We won't be watching the game, due to constraints on TV coverage where we are right now, but I must admit that all the Superbowl snack foods crossing my news feed are driving me crazy. Never mind the game, gimme those snacks! If I were in the game-planning mode, I'd be figuring on Frito Pie, maybe cowboy caviar, guacamole and chips. Buffalo wings, or else Buffalo chicken dip. Finger food. Have fun tomorrow!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 minutes ago, Smithy said:

We won't be watching the game, due to constraints on TV coverage where we are right now, but I must admit that all the Superbowl snack foods crossing my news feed are driving me crazy. Never mind the game, gimme those snacks! If I were in the game-planning mode, I'd be figuring on Frito Pie, maybe cowboy caviar, guacamole and chips. Buffalo wings, or else Buffalo chicken dip. Finger food. Have fun tomorrow!

Frito pie.  Yes.

Well, that just sucks that you can't see the game!  Ronnie would be having a meltdown.

• Haha 2

I'm not interested in football, never have been but one of my daughters is hosting a few people and the other daughter is going to a gathering so I've offered to make Buffalo Chicken Dip and send a half dozen Bierocks that I froze earlier this week to each. I will have some of each for myself while quietly watching something other than football.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

The STUPORBOWL was of no interest to my parents or my husband's parents when we grew up--me in NY, him in CA. My husband will probably watch this year, only because the Niners are in it. We used to go to the movies every year during the game, but not in the last few years. I like wings, but am not a fan of anything ranch.  In fact, we don't eat and watch TV at the same time, except maybe popcorn  once in a while. The rest of the typical game day spread is completely beyond me, as are the rules of football, which I will never understand as long as I live. When my husband tries to explain the rules of play my brain just goes somewhere else, even though I THINK I'm listening. Most likely I will sit next to him and read the paper during the game and pay attention to the screen only when the commercials are on. Sick!  My spectator sports of choice are baseball and tennis. For food we will be having cauliflower marinara on pasta. Always good and always easy. But it will not be eaten in front of the TV. He freaks out if I even get one crumb on the sofa, so you can be sure he won't allow red sauce anywhere near the TV! And that's how my tomorrow will unfold. I see the game as leisurely crossword puzzle time. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

The STUPORBOWL was of no interest to my parents or my husband's parents when we grew up--me in NY, him in CA. My husband will probably watch this year, only because the Niners are in it. We used to go to the movies every year during the game, but not in the last few years. I like wings, but am not a fan of anything ranch.  In fact, we don't eat and watch TV at the same time, except maybe popcorn  once in a while. The rest of the typical game day spread is completely beyond me, as are the rules of football, which I will never understand as long as I live. When my husband tries to explain the rules of play my brain just goes somewhere else, even though I THINK I'm listening. Most likely I will sit next to him and read the paper during the game and pay attention to the screen only when the commercials are on. Sick!  My spectator sports of choice are baseball and tennis. For food we will be having cauliflower marinara on pasta. Always good and always easy. But it will not be eaten in front of the TV. He freaks out if I even get one crumb on the sofa, so you can be sure he won't allow red sauce anywhere near the TV! And that's how my tomorrow will unfold. I see the game as leisurely crossword puzzle time. 

My daughter that is hosting a few friends is doing it purely out of love for her fiancé. They joke that he watches the game and she watches the commericials.

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 2

We're going with easy snacks. Utz potato chips with sour cream & onion dip, shrimp & cocktail sauce, spanakopita, and for dessert Klondike ice cream sandwiches. 

May add some carrots, celery, and pickles to the mix.

Edited by curls (log)
  • Like 3

I’d planned a weekend away with some friends not realizing it was Super Bowl weekend. But we’re renting a big house and are all stitchers so I brought some smoked pork butt my husband had made (we do a giant batch and freeze it a few times a year) and we’re going to set up a nachos bar. Plus we have a few fancy cheeses, crackers, and apples. We’ll enjoy the commercials, game, food, and hobbies according to our levels of interest.  I’ve been following football this year so am looking forward to it all. 

• Like 4

Been a 49'ers fan since the Montana/Young days - so glad to see them in it!

Just a good excuse to eat shitty (for you, not taste) food once a year....

- Loaded nachos

- Double baked potatoe skins

- Baked mozerella sticks

- Buffalo chicken wing dip

- Guac

Some raw veg in an attempt to balance

Oh, and I am making Pain Killers

;)

• Like 6

Chili and cornbread, every year.  Super boring, but I'm not ever the actual host, so I just have to deal.  

I have to root for the 49ers in honor of a beloved late friend, who lived for that team.  

But I like Kelce, Mahomes, and Taylor Swift, so I think I'm gonna enjoy myself.  

• Like 6

5 hours ago, TicTac said:

;)

Me too.  By request of our guests.

Otherwise wings.    Guests are bringing queso dip and pizza I think.

First year in a long time I’m not really sure who I want to win.

Mostly just looking forward to the ads and halftime show (my middle son putting on a wing eating symposium, not Usher)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TicTac said:

Been a 49'ers fan since the Montana/Young days - so glad to see them in it!

Just a good excuse to eat shitty (for you, not taste) food once a year....

- Loaded nachos

- Double baked potatoe skins

- Baked mozerella sticks

- Buffalo chicken wing dip

- Guac

Some raw veg in an attempt to balance

;)

Painkiller cocktail sounds good though I would have to sub vodka for the rum due to an incident at a rugby tournament dance many decades ago. I still cannot abide the smell, much less the taste of rum. We're talking about 45 years ago. Some things just stay with you...🤢

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Painkiller cocktail sounds good though I would have to sub vodka for the rum due to an incident at a rugby tournament dance many decades ago. I still cannot abide the smell, much less the taste of rum. We're talking about 45 years ago. Some things just stay with you...🤢

Yeah.  I feel the same way about gin, possibly for the same reason and my incidenr happened more than 45 years ago.  Some things you don't forget.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Friends had to cancel their party when their rescue Frenchie had to go back to the hospital.  My son and I are having Ro-tel cheese dip, loaded potato skins and pigs in a blanket.  Very old school but the best I could do on short notice and it’s easy.  Starting with espresso martinis.  I will likely switch to red wine, son will drink PBR.

Frenchie was rescued as he was used as a breeder for 4 years and kept in a cage smaller than him so he was never able to fully stand.  If you’re interested check out humbugthefrenchie on IG.  Lucky to have UCDavis vet school nearby.

• Like 4

I'm not into the football very much but my husband likes to watch Super Bowl. He says he doesn't really have a favourite team this year, he just wants to see a really good game. 

I'll be all in for Usher, though.  😁

I'm making salt and pepper wings with raw celery, carrots, broccoli and mushrooms. Mike will have his with Ranch dip, I like to have a bit of blue cheese dressing and some hot sauce on the side. I made brownies for dessert to have with some vanilla ice cream.

Mike also has some smoked oysters, crackers and cream cheese for snacking on. These are amazing smoked Pacific oysters. They are a local product and really hard to come by as they sell out so fast when they have them available. I was able to get in an order a few months ago and Mike is loving them. St. Jean's is just south of us in Nanaimo. I think they are pricey but worth it. 

https://stjeans.com/product/pacific-smoked-oysters/

And I'll be making Caesar cocktails - vodka, Clamato juice, Tabasco, "Wooster" sauce, and a touch of fresh lime juice with a Caesar rimmer for the glass and a celery stick for stirring. 

Edited to add: One of our local Comox Valley actors is in one of the Super Bowl ads for Kia. 

https://www.cheknews.ca/overwhelmed-courtenay-actor-plays-part-in-kia-super-bowl-commercial-1190381/#:~:text=Courtenay-based actor Steve Lindsay,'m overwhelmed%2C you know%3F

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 7

WHAT A GAME!!!!!  We loved every second of it.  

I ended up doing more cooking than I wanted to during the game.  No matter how early I start that always seems to happen.

I fried up tons of livers and gizzards (pressure cooked the gizzards for an hour after frying)

Duck/goose hearts, livers and gizzards

thumbnail_IMG_5775.jpg.b9db98a27063a0f11713f86f169e28bb.jpg

Yeah.  It was a lot of frying lol.

thumbnail_IMG_5781.jpg.26eefea3fc618db346c2ca657a849564.jpg

Gravy for dipping

thumbnail_IMG_5780.jpg.536f076b3345bb27b8f30083fb3e07d0.jpg

Asian chicken salad

thumbnail_IMG_5779.jpg.5d22d332df14513c3caba43c7d51eee9.jpg

Pigs in a blanket

thumbnail_IMG_5778.jpg.fefce5a2ef7b604366c1b41e9acae46e.jpg

Deviled eggs and pickled mushrooms

thumbnail_IMG_5777.jpg.2d76e1374f823f102fecfe2f5d60e7f9.jpg

I bought these cute little football truffles for dessert

thumbnail_IMG_5774.jpg.f4dc8267e165e2b8a840dbd7fda12758.jpg

Only 6 more months until pre-season starts!!

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

I thought the game was, like, the US version of "Keep Calm and Carry On."

[not that I ate any British food.  I ate chili, dutifully.]. 

Anyway.  Any championship that goes to the last play is just, well, excellent.  Happy Kansas, @Shelby

I may have to fry up some parts, in honor.  [Also, ahem:  I have to get some room in this freezer, my pig is coming . . . .] 

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1