• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: eGullet Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2024

Kerry Beal

11 hours ago, tikidoc said:

Damn, they finally released the graduation date for Maddie’s HS class, and it’s the 17th. Looks like we are out this year.

Congratulations to Maddie! Will miss both of you. Would be great if you could work in a short trip to the workshop.

12 hours ago, curls said:

Congratulations to Maddie! Will miss both of you. Would be great if you could work in a short trip to the workshop.

I’ll see if I can talk her into it! 

And just a quick mom brag, she will be off to William and Mary in the fall!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, tikidoc said:

She's a smart cookie is that Maddie!

• Like 1

Me

alleguede 

RobertM

Chocolot 

Sue PEI and sister Jane

Diana D

curls

Dallas

VistaGardens

Eat.Choui

Wendy Peterson

Britney 

Audrey Brown and Melanie

Valerie B

On 2/6/2024 at 7:43 AM, tikidoc said:

Darn!  I was trying to convince my daughter, who is Maddie's age, to come along.

• Like 1

Negotiations have started with two of the hotels that I visited yesterday and I deemed worthy of our little group. Several didn't make the cut!

I like the one for the extremely friendly and helpful staff - and it is much closer to the venue. I like the other for its newness and poshness! And the staff were also very wonderful. 

I suspect it will come down to price. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Negotiations have started with two of the hotels that I visited yesterday and I deemed worthy of our little group. Several didn't make the cut!

I like the one for the extremely friendly and helpful staff - and it is much closer to the venue. I like the other for its newness and poshness! And the staff were also very wonderful. 

I suspect it will come down to price. 

Thank you Kerry for all your work on this

Ok - got the hotel sorted - we will be at the Marriott Four Points on Dixie Rd in Mississauga. 

$159 Cdn per night is the rate - (tax will add about $30 Cdn per night). Still deciding if we will do Show and Tell there or move over to Rodney's new facility. When you check in you can purchase breakfast vouchers for $13 per day (they gave us a break from the usual $18). The block is for 20 rooms - half one king, other half two queens. I'm expecting most people to come in on Thursday  but it allows for a couple of people to come in on Wednesday. 

Working on getting the reservation to allow the king and two queens - right now I'm just seeing the king. 

Book by April 23. 

Let me know if there is any problem accessing it. 

Link to reservations

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

15 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Ok - got the hotel sorted - we will be at the Marriott Four Points on Dixie Rd in Mississauga. 

$159 Cdn per night is the rate - (tax will add about $30 Cdn per night). Still deciding if we will do Show and Tell there or move over to Rodney's new facility. When you check in you can purchase breakfast vouchers for $13 per day (they gave us a break from the usual $18). The block is for 20 rooms - half one king, other half two queens. I'm expecting most people to come in on Thursday  but it allows for a couple of people to come in on Wednesday. 

Let me know if there is any problem accessing it. 

Link to reservations

Thank you @Kerry Beal; room reservation made and no issues using the conference code!

So originally I thought I couldn’t attend because of a friend’s wedding but they have too many attending! Since I’m politely bowing out to help ease the stress I will indeed be coming! And I’ll be bringing one of my employees who’s showing great promise that I think can get a lot of the workshop - if nothing else being able to learn from some right-handed folks 😂. Already excited to see the list of folks joining this year!

• Like 2

Me

alleguede 

RobertM

Chocolot 

Sue PEI and sister Jane

Diana D

curls

Dallas

VistaGardens

Eat.Choui

Wendy Peterson

Britney 

Audrey Brown and Melanie

Valerie B

Willow and a promising R handed employee

Renee from Chocolat-Chocolat will be arriving Thursday evening - if you want to order molds she will bring if there is enough room in the car. 

• Like 1

Me

alleguede 

RobertM

Chocolot 

Sue PEI and sister Jane

Diana D

curls

Dallas

VistaGardens

Eat.Choui

Wendy Peterson

Britney 

Audrey Brown and Melanie

Valerie B

Gwbyls +1

• 2 weeks later...

I want to come too! 
-Anne The Chocolate Palette 

I’d love to learn more about panning, Aw and shelf life, as well as production planning, scaling up operations and getting more efficient.  

• Like 2

Me

alleguede 

RobertM

Chocolot 

Sue PEI and sister Jane

Diana D

curls

Dallas

VistaGardens

Eat.Choui

Wendy Peterson

Britney 

Audrey Brown and Melanie

Valerie B

Gwbyls +1

Anniebakes

Super excited to join you this year! I can't wait! I have always wanted to be the fly on the wall when I noticed this group is getting together- I can't believe I will be joining you! 

8 hours ago, RanaMN said:

Super excited to join you this year! I can't wait! I have always wanted to be the fly on the wall when I noticed this group is getting together- I can't believe I will be joining you! 

Rana - glad you have been approved at last so we can add you to the list!

• Like 1

Me

alleguede 

RobertM

Chocolot 

Sue PEI and sister Jane

Diana D

curls

Dallas

VistaGardens

Eat.Choui

Wendy Peterson

Britney 

Audrey Brown and Melanie

Valerie B

Gwbyls +1

Anniebakes

RanaNM 

6 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Rana - glad you have been approved at last so we can add you to the list!

Thank you Kerry! Everything that has been mentioned sounds amazing to me: panning, creating bonbons with low water activity, large batches of caramels, or InstaPot candying. I am super duper excited to learn from the giants (in my eyes). Since I am very likely to be one of the most novice— in terms of chocolate— let me know if you want me to bring some of my Turkish cooking experience with me, whether that's to teach a quick couple of mezes (side cold small plates) or just me quickly making them to share for a snack. I don't want to take away from chocolate at all; it's totally okay to say no— just trying to think how I can contribute :) ....This is my little small novice chocolate gig page—I doubt this, but if you see something on there I could share, I am happy to do that too....Looking forward to meeting everyone. https://www.facebook.com/MoraChocolate