• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I think we need to start a new topic called Dining Alone.

I did start such a topic or it may have been more about cooking for one. That was many years ago and all I got was a load of judgemental garbage questioning why I might be living alone and even more saying I should just eat frozen food and leftovers and think myself lucky, despite my having said that was precisely what I didn't want.

As I  said,  it was long ago and most of the participants then are probably no longer still here, figuratively or literally. I forget what it was called and it's best to leave it to rot in peace.

The site is, on the whole, a more friendly place today, so if someone were  to start such a topic again, I'd willingly take part to the best of my ability.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I did start such a topic or it may have been more about cooking for one. That was many years ago and all I got was a load of judgemental garbage questioning why I might be living alone and even more saying I should just eat frozen food and leftovers and think myself lucky, despite my having said that was precisely what I didn't want.

I think it was this one? Was it really that bad? 

• Like 2

I very much enjoy seeing everyone's meals whether cooking for one or cooking for a crowd.  I seem to be piling up pictures and not posting very frequently.  Garden is really thriving which is good but also makes me need a large nap in the afternoons lol.  I am definitely in a cooking rut.  Nothing sounds good when it's hot.  Now is when I envy those who can get food delivered.  

Big salad night.  Bacon, shrimp and leftover smoked trout for meats

thumbnail_IMG_6244-1.jpg.49e2d2851a0b78153fefb5f0d1aabd5f.jpg

The usual broccoli salad with zucchini fritters and roasted chicken quarters

image.jpeg.2eeaaf7402a8fdd72ceb2e5fdc2a0a06.jpeg

thumbnail_IMG_6249-1.jpg.3b114c11ff6ecdfb5ac6d1544efd9725.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6251.jpg.e5b5361adfab12cecdc712aac89f0fe0.jpg

SV'd steaks and cheese broccoli and cauliflower

thumbnail_IMG_6254.jpg.de2fbf653cc1db2791e987bad7a7143a.jpg

SV'd goose legs

thumbnail_IMG_6263.jpg.a2cd3ceedffed840521bd8c4704a1a61.jpg

Deli turkey sandwiches

thumbnail_IMG_6257.jpg.dc359b4311a897cc20ef703c032c6d6a.jpg

Ronnie went to Sam's for supplies--cases of water because we're going through it like mad--and picked up a rotisserie chicken.  I reheated it in the CSO.  Nice and easy and good.

thumbnail_IMG_6270.jpg.ddd45632bde85d8859b86fc2786d5d40.jpg

Cauliflower mashed potatoes to go with

thumbnail_IMG_6271.jpg.e21ee29bc4f2d88fa04bec5675369e07.jpg

Using the leftover chicken I made enchiladas

thumbnail_IMG_6278.jpg.8ebb69fdaddc98056f24d005f3683fe7.jpg

Another big salad night

thumbnail_IMG_6282.jpg.0865f6dba67be6d5092b73fa2c5e4925.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6283.jpg.40e4625b674446aedbf9e81313618d19.jpg

You'll be seeing more steaks in the future.  Ribeyes in a bag (not cut up yet) were on sale so Ronnie picked up a couple.  Steaks ended up being about $9 a piece and the meat is SO tender.  Reason number 126 why I love my Vacmaster.

thumbnail_IMG_6289-1.jpg.e39f2acc06c8fe39223504a80807767d.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6290-1.jpg.60459a517e2feda9b7027e55633037f5.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 5

There's no denying I am a sheet pan dinner aficionado when we are in the US.  

I try to find interesting cuisines and flavors and today's was one of the best so far as it included Aleppo pepper, cumin and smoked paprika, not to mention garbanzo beans.  My marinade was especially picante as I used a 'hot' smoked paprika I bring back from Spain.  The marinade (of which I reserved a bit for a dipping sauce on the plate) was quite acidic with fresh lemon juice and tomato paste.  Here's a link to the recipe:  https://www.themediterraneandish.com/sheet-pan-chicken-with-chickpeas/#wprm-recipe-container-55178

As an aside: the carrots and onions did not get nearly as soft as they normally do despite using the same oven (set for convection) and temperature and cooking time as previous sheet pan dinners with carrots and onions.  I googled later and read that it was likely due to the hemicelluloses not dissolving if the cooking environment is too acidic.   It is the breakdown of a produce's hemicelluloses that softens it when cooked.  Live and learn!

ckngarbanzo.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

We liked the marinated, skewered and grilled steak that we did a little while ago well enough I that we did it again.  This time I left it in the Teriyaki sauce a little longer and cooked some onions and mushrooms in a little butter and olive oil and added in the meat when it was done on the grill. We also had rice, and corn cut off the cob and cooked with some salt, butter, cream and rice syrup.

IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2

26 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

There is a link to it at the bottom of this post.

@Norm Matthews I don't know what most people are using to access the forum but I'm sure there are quite a few like me that are using just their telephone. I have never seen a link at the bottom of any of the posts. Maybe it would be a good idea to put a link within the text once in awhile for those like me that do not get that notice. Fortunately, I bookmarked the link to your site a long time ago. With all that good food that you make, I'm not going to miss out on an opportunity to check out your recipes.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, FauxPas said:

I think it was this one? Was it really that bad? 

Yes, that's it.

Looking back at it now, perhaps I overreacted. However, at the time I did find many of the responses to be very negative and the whole experience depressing and largely unhelpful. Obviously there were exceptions which I noted at the time.

Water. Bridge.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

@Norm Matthews I don't know what most people are using to access the forum but I'm sure there are quite a few like me that are using just their telephone. I have never seen a link at the bottom of any of the posts. Maybe it would be a good idea to put a link within the text once in awhile for those like me that do not get that notice. Fortunately, I bookmarked the link to your site a long time ago. With all that good food that you make, I'm not going to miss out on an opportunity to check out your recipes.

Thank you for the compliment and suggestion. For anyone who does not get the link, here it is: http://normmatthews.blogspot.com/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/30/2024 at 1:27 PM, Neely said:

Hi liuzhou the fish we had here was what we locally call Flake which is actually a species of shark we call Gummy Shark… no bones …a cartilaginous fish found mostly around the southern waters of Australia. For us caught and bought locally from the fisherman’s small shop right on the water. Has a mild flavour when fresh, stronger but not unpleasant when a little longer from caught. 

Not sure what or why your friend was baffled when she came to Australia 20 years ago. Different cultures maybe!  We do have many Chinese students come to our Universities and Colleges. Melbourne is a big city 5 million. I have only been to Hong Kong and one of my sons worked in Beijing for 6 years, speaks fluent Mandarin.

I'm impressed that you have a source of flake that you know is fresh and really flake. I tend to avoid it at the fish and chips shop because my understanding is that you often get some other species and because of sustainability issues. Looks good.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I've been away so I'll catch up on members' dinners when I have a bit more time.

Saturday's Canada Day long weekend burger. Just manageable. From the bottom: lettuce, tomato, pickled red onion and kosher dill slices, horseradish mustard, patty, mushrooms and aged cheddar. With coleslaw and a Big Spruce oatmeal stout.

Yesterday's 'Momento de Muerte' black cherry and reaper hot sauce glazed chicken wings with blue cheese dip, hasseltots, tomatos and an unshown salad.

A good Canada Day to all my fellow citizens.

TheWorksBurger.thumb.JPG.634b44bfd376a7375276e9bb38a9a3ac.JPGWingsandHasseltots.thumb.JPG.890394a646e27d927b4350d169571b51.JPGHappyCanadaDay.thumb.JPG.ec62c0c683f9d4e5d3d556b161d92f51.JPG

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 3

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

A couple of recent dinners; bought some lovely basil and made pesto:

image.thumb.jpeg.61dd97af6d658fddd364d9571b5c3ec1.jpeg

Only thing missing was the string beans, which had already been blanched and shocked and were waiting; we all forget every now and then, right? So, penne with pesto, potatoes, and almost green beans.

Went to dinner with some friends at Jack's Wife Freda.

image.thumb.jpeg.54564d227ab984e9bd874a80aee0e002.jpeg

Grilled whole branzino, with couscous and chopped salad.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

40 minutes ago, weinoo said:

A couple of recent dinners; bought some lovely basil and made pesto:

image.thumb.jpeg.61dd97af6d658fddd364d9571b5c3ec1.jpeg

Only thing missing was the string beans, which had already been blanched and shocked and were waiting; we all forget every now and then, right? So, penne with pesto, potatoes, and almost green beans.

Went to dinner with some friends at Jack's Wife Freda.

image.thumb.jpeg.54564d227ab984e9bd874a80aee0e002.jpeg

Grilled whole branzino, with couscous and chopped salad.

what are teh sauces that came with the branzino?

On 6/29/2024 at 8:33 PM, Smithy said:

Most dinners here are wonderfully photogenic and tempting-looking. I wonder, sometimes, how many members might be shy of posting for fear of ridicule. Well, bring it on. I'm tired, I'm coming down with a cold, and my life is topsy-turvy right now...but I still get hungry and need to eat.

Tonight's dinner: Last week's asparagus, cut into pieces and nuked, with a sprinkling of feta cheese chunks. Bits of butter and mayonnaise (the last remains of 2 packages) tossed in to melt. A hard-boiled egg, barely chunked up then heated in the final microwave pass.

20240629_181319.jpg

A travesty? One might say so. Or one might say "easy, filling, and light on the dishwashing."

Tastes pretty good, too. 

I refuse to put this in The Gallery of Regrettable Foods, although perhaps it belongs there.

Tasting good is the most important.

An alternate saying would be 'I'm experimenting with a more chaotic plating style'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

10 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

@Duvel, I just made a big batch of your German potato dust for sharing with friends. Thank you for the recipe. I'm going to try some on a baked potato for supper tonight.

I hope you‘ll enjoy it. If you present your friends with it you can label it Bratkartoffelgewürz (lit. „spice for home fries“) …

• Like 3

there does not seem to  be a ' plain ' dessert thread.

just as well :

ill call this an after dinner snack :

IMG_4249.thumb.jpeg.1875b57b63225f1000076217c99cb6f6.jpeg

TJ's semi-sweet chocolate bits.

MarketBasket mini-shredded wheat  ( TJ's has 'em too )

just a bit off salt.

a nice ratio would be    3+ Choc. to one SW.

you'll stop rolling your eyes . once you try it.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3