• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

16 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

Ribs again.  Charlie asked me to make some more since the last batch was gone so quickly.  He said If I made two slabs and grill some hamburgers, that I wouldn't need to cook for a while. I am getting ready to do the hamburgers in a little bit.  I made my favorite kind of coleslaw and didn't realize I had never made it when Charlie was around.  He made fun of it until he tasted it. Now he thinks I should make it all the time. When I was little someone at church often brought this kind to potlucks and I always liked it better. 

IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

@Norm Matthews That coleslaw looks so good! It makes a LOT - how long do you find it keeps?

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, NadyaDuke said:

@liuzhou That looks delicious! I have an ignorant American question. Do you eat all the chile peppers? It would seem like a waste not too, but also that’s a lot of chile peppers, and they’re dried. I’ve had dishes like this in restaurants and always wonder!

No. The chillies are not eaten at all.  It does seem wasteful but, as you say, they are dried and therefore not very palatable. However, they give up a lot of flavour to the chicken and there is a certain pleasure in digging through the chillies to find the meat. It's a fun dish to serve to  people, although I ate that one myself.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

No. The chillies are not eaten at all.  It does seem wasteful but, as you say, they are dried and therefore not very palatable. However, they give up a lot of flavour to the chicken and theirb is a certain pleasure in digging through the chillies to find the meat. It's a fun dish to serve to  people, although I ate that one myself.

Thank you! My conscious is now clearer ;).

2 hours ago, NadyaDuke said:

As I was cooking I wondered, ”Is this chicken schnitzel? What makes something a schnitzel

To me, a schnitzel is very thin cut of meat. Whatever you want to call yours, it looks delicious. You might want to consider this topic for more information on schnitzel.

Ive been working on this salad for a while :

IMG_3696.thumb.jpg.d8ffbf17795a957eb60daf040965eabe.jpg

spinach  , Campari tomatoes , sm shredded wheat croutons , walnuts , kimchi and sauerkraut  .  window green onions at the end.

mixed w EVOO 

IMG_3716.thumb.jpg.1c7620300dec6490655d379c610a0460.jpg

to the left , red wine and Demiglase , micro 30 second and mixed

I use slab ground turkey , Stoney Brook Farems , as its thicker I cut the slab and handle it as little as possible

IMG_3692.thumb.jpg.6b73d523c4486159aec51fd9689fcb84.jpg

seasoned  ( varios no-salt blends )  waling for the FondLess

IMG_3718.thumb.jpg.9c8b0c57331809caab3a7cbcd9fac95f.jpg

on side two.

what new is 

IMG_3721.thumb.jpg.3d3b5939e83c86470eabc3cdebf3e000.jpg

placed on top of the salad 

IMG_3724.thumb.jpg.39b7e66a1da1b7c45f169380b25bcf38.jpg

wine and demi reducing in the FondLess.

IMG_3725.thumb.jpg.2c77afd59821941d2656a56711b16730.jpg

poured over the turkey slab.

remarkably tasty 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo

how did you cook this scallops ?

I may have to splurge @ my local TJ's

scallops are my second most favorite seafood

the first would be abalone 

Go ahead and splurge - they're IQF, so you can take out 1/4 lb. for a meal and seal up the rest as good as new.

These were salt and peppered, then cooked 2 minutes on side 1, another minute on side 2, in a frying pan, with butter and olive oil. Removed to a warm plate, pan deglazed with white wine, then lemon juice and butter added to the pan, with a touch of stock.

Unless you can get fresh abalone, in my opinion, there's no point.

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Fired up the ole Pizza oven:

Pizza-00 King Arthur --65%  hydration ( 3 min cook )

image.thumb.png.8b03289b907323ad00ef2e4d93dae8fb.png

Lamb Skin  :)

image.thumb.png.0dc4aea8ce50f1afc8ee9c3d3f58cfa3.png

Little Bucket  Golf  "Pretty fun "

image.thumb.png.b31f54e20df1d031ce7f53d9b09c226f.png

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

Its good to have Morels

9 hours ago, NadyaDuke said:

@Norm Matthews That coleslaw looks so good! It makes a LOT - how long do you find it keeps?

This is the first time I have made it in such a long time that I don't remember but the recipe notes say you can make it the day before and that it is still crispy three days later.

OH PS You can cut the recipe down if it is too much. The one I made was with a quarter head of cabbage. It was easy to cut the rest of the ingredients by quarters or halves.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, NadyaDuke said:

I took a cooking class years ago and learned how to do a three station breaded chicken cutlet but I still don’t do it enough to be confident. Last night I gave it a whirl and it turned out well, but we both agreed that it was under seasoned. I’d winged the seasoning so that’s an easy fix.  Served with orzo with pesto and cherry tomatoes, and TJ’s frozen haricots verts which is my single favorite Trader Joe’s item. They cook up well, even in the microwave, taste good and are never stringy or woody.

As I was cooking I wondered, ”Is this chicken schnitzel? What makes something a schnitzel?”

IMG_1465.jpeg

Yes, I'd call that a schnitzel, or in the vernacular of my country, "a schnitty"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

@rotuts:
Good afternoon,
Have to post here as you cannot receive messages.

I read your post about pan grilling a pad of ground chicken? turkey? for use in a salad.

I thought it was a brilliant idea and wanted to try it for my next salad lunch as I have several packets of ground meat in the freezer.

BUT, I couldn't find your post again, after going back several pages.

Can you point me to the post / the page where it appeared? Thanks!

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

6 minutes ago, Dejah said:

@rotuts:
Good afternoon,
Have to post here as you cannot receive messages.

I read your post about pan grilling a pad of ground chicken? turkey? for use in a salad.

I thought it was a brilliant idea and wanted to try it for my next salad lunch as I have several packets of ground meat in the freezer.

BUT, I couldn't find your post again, after going back several pages.

Can you point me to the post / the page where it appeared? Thanks!

OMG! I was looking back to see....There is such a song...
I should just have checked this page! 🤪

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@Dejah

scroll up on this thread 

I use ground turkey , Iused to  make a 4 star meatloaf w ground turkey 

I do better w gr turkey than beef , ie flavoring etc.

but now use the ' loaf '   for all sorts of things.

my local brand , Shady Brook Farms simply presents a loaf 

in the standard sized plastic boat

its ' thicker .  20.5 ox or so 

vs 1 lbs.

its what I can easily get and work with 

its not worth a trip to find it , by brand  , its ' wet ' etc

but it goes on sale , and why pay more?

some time ago in CA , at Detmiers

their ground turkey was turkey they ground themself.  not wet etc

but this is what I can get  an I can work w it.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2024 at 11:32 AM, rotuts said:

@TicTac

Your grandmother was correct.

Id trade the VW for an extra potion of that first pic.

Just saying.

looks delicious.

lucky family and friends.

Appreciate that.  As fresh and awesome as the king salmon was, the star was the tuna, IMO.  I highly recommend seeping some bonito in a good quality soy (you can also add things like sliced garlic or chives, which I used in this case) and then strain and apply.  Great flavor.  I think the VW might net you a few extra portions.... ;)

• Like 1