• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

same theme ,  tortellini in a pan 

IMG_3506.thumb.jpg.948f19a42d52eeaba5af465bd5bca2d4.jpg

I pulled out 3 or 4 rarely used micro planes .

IMG_3524.thumb.jpg.c787ed0cbd1e5749e325f23845037d99.jpg

used the top one on a fresh trance of TJ's pamesanish as its not rock hard

I used one container ( 8 oz )  of the no salt roasted chicken stock mentioned earlier.

it has an intense roster chicken aroma when you open the package.   Im sure carefully enhanced in the lab.

to give you an idea of the intensity 

MC  ( the Cat ) was napping on the auto-heat .   Medium-Zen level 

before I pour poor the stock into the pan , he came roaring around the counter and demanded to know what was going on.

IMG_3515.thumb.jpg.9c518e80eca72909c83a8232608bbad6.jpg

the tort's are only half covered by the stock,

IMG_3519.thumb.jpg.84c9070c4a374ba33623631bcc06efe3.jpg

with a reasonable amount of EVOO  ( one of TJ's )

went back too Simple.  this is simply straciatella + tor's

delicious.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 4

On 3/4/2024 at 2:25 AM, CantCookStillTry said:

WAIT! Waaaiiitt.... 

I know what it looks like 😬.  But please take it from me (or google, or tiktok, I wouldn't believe this either) - this is a Modern Northern English delicacy. 

It's a Jacket potato (that's a whole skin on tayto roasted so long it can take its armoured self to war) topped with butter, cheese and a Chinese Chicken Chippy Curry (The curry has never been to China but you buy it in Fish and Chip shops and / or Chinese takeaways - often the same place). 

20240304_181351.jpg

It might look terrible. But the boys love it. 

Heathens. 

I use Glico curry paste cubes for our chips!

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@Shelby: I always look forward to your meals!

WE had been to Winnipeg for our grandson's enrollment into the RCAF. Went for dim sum lunch after, and we were so full day after when we came home that I didn't want to cook. So, quick wonton soup with ramen for early supper:

WontonSoup3790.jpg.bb1a9087f34256d9ae68e7bdf76f6e92.jpg

Picked up a large chunk of beef liver, price reduced from $7.00 to $5.00 at Safeway. Guess no one else wanted to do the slicing himself. I loved it, cut it thick! Breaded and pan fried. Finished in the oven. Onion, peas and mashed taters = perfect meal!
Picked up Chinese Mustard Greens in the city. Enjoyed soup with pork neck bones a couple of hours before supper.

GaiChoyTong3797.jpg.7544facfd946c8d8bcc6c02c03b33227.jpg        LiverOnions3804.jpg.a394ba45c5d191d995fa12b1b6d4b1c5.jpg                                                                              

Have not seen this Cottage Roll for ages. Ss Flashfood app showed this for $4.79, so I grabbed a couple for the freezer. I remember cooking these early in our marriage when we had one lowly income as hubby taught on permit.

The roll was simmered with a bay leaf, celery, onion and carrot for a couple of hours. Then I glazed it with brown sugar/whole grain Dijon mustard, OJ, nutmeg and roasted in the oven for 20 minutes.
It was fall apart, tender, and not as fatty as I anticipated. Fried up leftover mashed taters and peas. Blanched Chinese cabbage and asparagus in the simmering liquid. We enjoyed the cottage roll supper!

CottageRollTaters3812.jpg.488c9e615ddd35a93685c48973678daf.jpgCottageRoll3819.jpg.05fd013c7544935d0791b77bbb2d453e.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@Dejah

I have not heard of a Cottage Roll .

Ive google it :  this turns up Pork CR "

'''''

What Is a Pork Cottage Roll?

A pork cottage roll is made from pork shoulder. It's cured in a brine made with water, salt, sugar, sodium erythorbate, sodium tripolyphosphate, and sodium nitrite. It's covered in a string mesh that holds it together while the meat is cooking. Basically, it's a pickled boneless pork shoulder roast.

is this what you started with ?   a pic or two the next time you use it ?

many thanks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

with a reasonable amount of EVOO  ( one of TJ's )

went back too Simple.  this is simply straciatella + tor's

delicious.

Simple is best - and your Straciatella looks pretty much perfect to me 🤗

• Thanks 1

@Duvel

thank you .  mine has an effective dose of EVOO.

I like that.

I first had Straciatella , in Italy .  I was 10 y.o .

my parents were teachers , and had sabbaticals in Europe.

We were in Spain , for two years .  my father was invited to give some lectures .

over Holy Week , as it is called in Spain.

our family was put up nicely , in each stop , a few days.

in the restaurant  ( it had a table cloth )  I first had type soup 

a revelation  of the first order , I remember it exactly

for dessert :   Zabaglione   

remember each perfectly .

• Like 5

I found a couple of small pork chops in the refrigerator that I got a couple days ago and forgot about them, so when I saw them I knew I'd cook them now before I forgot they were there again.  I used a recipe titled Peking Pork Chops.  They were marinated then breaded in flour and corn starch ,fried and coated in a spicy sauce.  We had it with rice. 

IMG_1508.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

36 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I used a recipe titled Peking Pork Chops.  They were marinated then breaded in flour and corn starch ,fried and coated in a spicy sauce.  We had it with rice. 

Does the recipe call for maple syrup as some I've seen do? 

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

@rotutsI love the idea of the Tortelini in the Stracciatella soup. It is one of my favourites. 

Two days in a row for homemade fries.
We both had a craving for Halibut Fish and Chips.
Haven't bought halibut recently because I've been waiting for the 2024 season to start.
Spoke to the man at the fish counter today and he told me that they were expecting the first halibut of the season in about 15 days.
So this will be the last time I'm buying frozen halibut for at least the next 8 months.
Halibut season runs from about mid March until mid to late November.

Sticking with the lower sodium diet for Moe, he had just a tiny pinch of salt , with fresh lemon on his fish and vinegar on his fries.
HalibutFishandChipsMarch5th2024.thumb.jpg.9f8f9c30ee1f0dc6f5dd9da14ec1d1ca.jpg
So what you are seeing here is my plate. I don't like vinegar or lemon with my fish and chips but I do love salt.
HalibutFishandChipsMarch5th20241.thumb.jpg.12d879d00c9fb3bea5c8c1b0e3514874.jpg
Batter on the halibut is a light crispy tempura style beer batter.
Fries are double fried.
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 3

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Does the recipe call for maple syrup as some I've seen do? 

• These are the ingredients in the recipe I used.
  •  
  • 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch, divided
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • 1 large egg
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil, for frying
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

For the sauce

• 3 tablespoons ketchup
  • 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
  • 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
  • 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
  • Cooked white or brown rice, for serving (optional)
  • Sliced scallions, for serving (optional)
Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Thanks 1

Chicken, rapini and napa cabbage stir-fry - chicken breast was velveted by marinating in a mixture of shaoxing wine, egg white and cornstarch and afterwards briefly (deep) fried in oil. Then stir-fried with rapini and napa cabbage with a sauce made from soy sauce, oyster sauce, chicken broth, chili oil and chili flakes. Served with rice

IMG_8936.thumb.jpeg.5f1ca5b33ad7935a519d743e2d4fcc8e.jpeg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

I didn't know there was a green borscht. I suppose it isn't made with beets.

No beets. Traditionally green borscht is made with sorrel, which lends a lovely tangy-sour flavor. Neighbor grows her own.

This batch had potato and hard-boiled egg and what tasted like a meat broth. I'm sure there are wide variations across eastern European households.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Leftover Sandwich Beef Stir-fry for youngest but now frighteningly tall boy. 

20240306_165021.thumb.jpg.ddc56a9501e6ee8fda97499930b45927.jpg

I did a blade roast for his school lunch meat on Sunday (Cause how expensive is deli meat now?!?!?). However it's been more humid than the back of Satan's Ba... and my bread went mouldy in a day. Adjustments to the menu have been necessary. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

7 hours ago, C. sapidus said:

No beets. Traditionally green borscht is made with sorrel, which lends a lovely tangy-sour flavor. Neighbor grows her own.

This batch had potato and hard-boiled egg and what tasted like a meat broth. I'm sure there are wide variations across eastern European households.

My ex's grandmother made what she called zummerborscht, using beet tops, ham or chicken broth, and new baby potatoes and carrots from the garden. It leaned heavily into fresh dill (my version more so than hers, because I do love dill), and was usually finished at the table with a splash of buttermilk. She was a Mennonite, and her family had previously lived in the "colonies" scattered across modern-day Ukraine and Belarus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Another attempt @  Frying chicken  (  I'm Learning still )   --this is pickled brine,  placed in vacuum bag with just this pickle juice and brined 7 hrs,   then i continued to use Kellers seasoned flour with a dip in butter milk.  Dam Tasty!!  Tis was evoo fry this time @350, finished in oven.

image.thumb.png.942258fe6af7768e156371896c2ee57c.png

image.thumb.png.433b545ccedbd2e6cfbb65b6771d7941.png

image.thumb.png.d12d694f8074f31803ab6660438fa544.png

image.thumb.png.229a98bba470681d51877946d77265de.png

image.thumb.png.dc9e97886758ca854e5096249d327aae.png

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

Its good to have Morels

Pork tenderloin marinated with garlic, ginger, chilli, black salt fermented beans, Shaoxing wine. Stir fried with coriander leaf.

Finished with soy sauce. 

Two minute boiled okra dressed with sesame oil. Rice.

IMG_20240306_202900.thumb.jpg.51c4e7c0431ce9945e2247f8b47d4f31.jpg

• Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Chicken thighs braised in white wine vinegar, wine and chicken broth. Sautéed finely diced onion and garlic, lotsa’ olives added at the end.

Rice pilaf to accompany with a little of the chicken gravy.

Chestnut chocolate pudding-ish with layered amaretti cookies.

IMG_5793.jpeg

IMG_5795.jpeg

IMG_5782.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

Thinking similarly @OlyveOyl… we had chicken thighs braised in chicken stock with lemon juice, with onion and garlic ( no olives ). Ours was baked in the oven over lentils and black rice. Creamed silver beet (garden )as a side.  There was also sprigs of thyme and dollops of labneh added with 10 minutes of cooking still to come. The labneh which I make by straining Greek yoghurt is delicious for me. 

A373597C-5484-488C-86E6-88FC002DCE67.jpeg.a2fcb6ffa88117ebef108d5eea9936d9.jpegEdited to add that silver beet grows like a weed here and is always in the garden. 

Edited by Neely (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Must be a chicken thighs kind of day

Khari marghi (aromatic braised chicken thighs). Chicken was seared skin-side down to de-fat, rubbed with ginger-garlic paste, and then marinated for an hour. Sauteed onions, cinnamon stick, cloves, green cardamom, and dried chilies for flavor, and then braised the chicken with Mrs. C's chicken stock and a little half and half. This makes a soupy, gently flavored sauce.

Stir fried green beans with ginger, curry leaves, green chile, black mustard seed, cilantro, and grated coconut. I added roasted chile Poblano because we had some. Champagne mangoes not pictured but very much enjoyed.

Khari_margi_202403.thumb.jpg.a643941c40f31dcc4e4ec6316b30845a.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

still simple , but w the addition of fresh chopped spinach , 

off the heat .  wilts a little , but still has good texture :

IMG_3527.thumb.jpg.37db0cf26a407b86f34b658f1a5038fb.jpg

8 0z stock reduced a little  very vey nice dish

so ...

Straciatella w tortellini a la Florentine .

not Italina , more French terminology

very easy very very good.

in a fancy bowl  ( next time ? )

Ill leave myself a generous tip.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2